Forty seven years on, and our recent trip to Varanasi felt the same. Of course, the population has increased and new suburbs have expanded outward since our first visit, but the old city, the crowded Ghats along the river, and the ominous haze from the burning pyres generated the same powerful, emotional impact. The highlights were a dawn boat ride along the Ganges, the Aarti ceremony at the Dasaswamedh Ghat, and walking the alleyways of the old city. I have written an illustrated article at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/varanasi-india/ that provides information, photos and map for planning purposes.
- 1 Hong Kong - how long to see highlights?
- 2 Photography Trip to Vietnam
- 3 white sand beaches in thailand
- 4 Elephant Visit in Chiang Mai
- 5 Udaipur, India
- 6 Which flight from BKK to Chiang Mai should I take?
- 7 National Diet Building and Imperial Palace tours
- 8 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 9 Weather in Bangkok & Phuket in September
- 10 Suggestions for Asian visit Feb. 2014, incl. Singapore
- 11 9 PM arrival in Narita
- 12 where is best place to exchange left over Chinese RMB's for US dollars
- 13 Kanchanaburi - Toi's Tours
- 14 Thailand-Japan-China (is it a bad idea?)
- 15 Trip plans to SE Asia for 2014 coming together! Int'l flights purchased!
- 16 11 days in Japan, JR pass question
- 17 Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour suggestions
- 18 where to go in SE Asia
- 19 4 days with Orangutans Balikpapan + Camp Leakey
- 20 Proposed Sri Lanka Itinerary - any opinions welcome
- 21 Kuala Lumpur - Doubletree (Hilton) or Renaissance (Marriott)?
- 22 which hotel in Bangkok in July?
- 23 Uzbekistan: A Lesson in Silk Road Hospitality
- 24 Siem Reap from San Fran in winter 2013 FIRST TIME to Asia
- 25 trip report to tajmahal agra india