Forty seven years on, and our recent trip to Varanasi felt the same. Of course, the population has increased and new suburbs have expanded outward since our first visit, but the old city, the crowded Ghats along the river, and the ominous haze from the burning pyres generated the same powerful, emotional impact. The highlights were a dawn boat ride along the Ganges, the Aarti ceremony at the Dasaswamedh Ghat, and walking the alleyways of the old city. I have written an illustrated article at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/varanasi-india/ that provides information, photos and map for planning purposes.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 April in Bangkok, again!
- 2 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 3 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 4 Japan night bus
- 5 Help..Want to hire a guide/driver for Golden Triangle
- 6 12 day split between Beijing and Shanghai
- 7 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea
- 8 Problems at 12,000'
- 9 Hua Hin or another family friendly beach?
- 10 GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP
- 11 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 12 osaka to kobe frrom ship to ship
- 13 Spring trip to Tokyo and Kyoto -10 days
- 14 Best Time of Year to Visit Ko Samui/Krabi (Weather)
- 15 Which Putu in Bali????
- 16 Biting the India bullet...well, maybe...
- 17 Japan, japan
- 18 Have you stayed at Outrigger Laguna Beach Resort Phuket?
- 19 Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Luang Say, Chiang Rai, Singapore (but no Siem Reap)
- 20 Flying from place to place in Asia - here's our plan with questions
- 21 Hong Kong restaurants
- 22 Hotels in Hong Kong
- 23 India for 2 weeks in December/January
- 24 Drinking cheap in Singapore
- 25 Has anyone done a houseboat trip in Kerala