Forty seven years on, and our recent trip to Varanasi felt the same. Of course, the population has increased and new suburbs have expanded outward since our first visit, but the old city, the crowded Ghats along the river, and the ominous haze from the burning pyres generated the same powerful, emotional impact. The highlights were a dawn boat ride along the Ganges, the Aarti ceremony at the Dasaswamedh Ghat, and walking the alleyways of the old city. I have written an illustrated article at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/varanasi-india/ that provides information, photos and map for planning purposes.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Myanmar - A Visit to a Country in Transition
- 2 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap
- 3 Myanmar Trip Report: Is It "Too Late" To Go?
- 4 1st time Japan - solo female
- 5 Need your Expertise with my Japanese........Itinerary!
- 6 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 7 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 8 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!
- 9 3 weeks in Japan- Finalized... I think
- 10 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 11 1 week in North and Central Vietnam in February
- 12 Guide/Driver for Mumbai,
- 13 Jaipur--Jas Vilas or Royal Heritge Haveli ?
- 14 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 15 Travelling to Thailand from U.S. this June/July
- 16 First timer trying to prepare for trip of a lifetime: BURMA
- 17 How to get to Koh Ngai?
- 18 Glovers 2 month India adventure has begun!
- 19 Japan Itinerary for May
- 20 Thai island escape
- 21 Planning 19 days in Indonesia- need help
- 22 Indonesia/Java/Sulawesi Travel Advice needed
- 23 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 24 What are good things to buy while in Shanghai China
- 25 Visa Arrived..off to India!!!