Forty seven years on, and our recent trip to Varanasi felt the same. Of course, the population has increased and new suburbs have expanded outward since our first visit, but the old city, the crowded Ghats along the river, and the ominous haze from the burning pyres generated the same powerful, emotional impact. The highlights were a dawn boat ride along the Ganges, the Aarti ceremony at the Dasaswamedh Ghat, and walking the alleyways of the old city. I have written an illustrated article at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/varanasi-india/ that provides information, photos and map for planning purposes.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Three Weeks in Thailand
- 2 Is 7 days too long in Hong Kong
- 3 Thailand, Cambodia and Laos
- 4 5 and a half full days in Tokyo. Should I consider visiting Kyoto?
- 5 S E Asia part of our Round the World Trip
- 6 To Nikko or not to Nikko: That is the Question?
- 7 Writers Needed for Japan
- 8 Beijing Yashou Market Closure
- 9 Favorite guide books for Japan and other advice for planning?
- 10 River tours in China - please share your experiences
- 11 17 Day Itinerary
- 12 11 hour NRT Tokyo Layover…Asakusa or Narita Town?
- 13 Bali Help
- 14 Help Needed for Ambitious 22 day trip Bali and SE ASIA for Mom and Son
- 15 Chiang Mai to the Beach
- 16 6 days in HK with husband and 6 yr old son-would love recs
- 17 Help with Burma Itinerary
- 18 Inida- scenic places, national parks, where to go?
- 19 Hong Kong....How hideous is the flight????
- 20 Anantara Riverside Bangkok
- 21 National Parks - which to choose
- 22 Smoke-Free Restaurants in Kanazawa
- 23 27 days in Indonesia - itinerary help!
- 24 On the Road in Beautiful Sri Lanka
- 25 Vietnam Family Travel Plans