Forty seven years on, and our recent trip to Varanasi felt the same. Of course, the population has increased and new suburbs have expanded outward since our first visit, but the old city, the crowded Ghats along the river, and the ominous haze from the burning pyres generated the same powerful, emotional impact. The highlights were a dawn boat ride along the Ganges, the Aarti ceremony at the Dasaswamedh Ghat, and walking the alleyways of the old city. I have written an illustrated article at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/varanasi-india/ that provides information, photos and map for planning purposes.
View all Asia activity »
- 1 Fresh Hearts and Egg Tarts: Our Silver Jubilee in Hong Kong & Macau
- 2 Any recommendations for drivers in Beijing?
- 3 independent travel in India
- 4 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 5 Ratings of kaiseki meals at ryokans in Japan?
- 6 SINGAPORE OR CAMBODIA??? (April Honeymoon)
- 7 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 8 Malaysia and Thailand 2013 travelogues
- 9 Magical India
- 10 geisha performance
- 11 Draft itinerary - appreciate some input
- 12 Dread long flights USA to/from BKK
- 13 Tibet and Nepal in 2 weeks?
- 14 Trip report China
- 15 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 16 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 17 Traveling on Makha Bucha in Thailand
- 18 Xian Crystal Mooncake
- 19 Shopping for hotels for Feb.
- 20 Seoul, Korea Accommodation / Restaurants
- 21 Car Parking at Uno Port
- 22 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 23 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!
- 24 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 25 Thai Visa Options for longer/ multiple stays