My husband Glen and I are in our late 20s/early 30s, living and working in Abu Dhabi, UAE and based in Washington DC. Between us we've traveled to 48 countries, yet never contributed to forums to share experiences for the benefit of other travelers until now. This is our first trip report, hope you'll find it helpful in planning your trip!
Dambulla - Sigiriya - Polonnaruwa - Kandy - Nuwara Eliya - Unawatuna Beach & Galle - Colombo
Flights - If convenient to go via Dubai, I recommend FlyDubai, a low-cost carrier with nonstop service to Colombo, arriving 5AM so you get the full day.
Health - We took yellow fever and typhoid vaccines to be safe, but opted out of malaria pills and used repellent instead. Check http://www.cdc.gov/ for travel health advice.
Transport - We hired a driver via email based on recommendations on travel forums. Aruna gave the best quote, and we were happy with him: pleasant, informed, punctual, accommodating. His email is: Aruna Chaminda <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Food - Local eateries run about US $2-$4 per person, and street food is generally safe and tasty. Hotel restaurants are dearer on the wallet - about $12-$20 per person, but offer non-spicy options if you have dietary restrictions. Must eat treat is called the 'hopper', a coconut milk and rice flour thin crispy bowl with fillings - the egg and cheese is delicious.
Tipping - It's standard to leave 10% for meals. Many restaurants bill 10% service charge, so it's optional to leave a little extra or round up. For hotel staff minimum is 100 rupees, less would be too low. Exchanges & ATMs dispense 1000 rupee notes so remember to break to have small bills on hand. For Aruna our driver we added 25% of his fee.
Washrooms - Outside of hotels, washrooms typically do not have toilet paper or soap, so keep tissues and sanitizer with you.
Now to details city by city ...
Sri Lanka in 7 Days: highlights & lessons learned
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Belated 2012 Trip Report - Two Weeks in South Korea
- 2 Feedback on India Tour specifics
- 3 Help re. Visa.
- 4 6-7 months in SE Asia (majority in Thailand) - visa, weather, meet-up ?s
- 5 Thailand - what to wear in November, and, cosmetics
- 6 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 7 Visa
- 8 Gluten free in Japan?
- 9 Angkor Wat tour guide recommedations
- 10 Bagan Entry Fee to Rise by One-Third
- 11 Xian - Make your own warriors?
- 12 What to pack? For Burma and Thailand
- 13 Thailand - a few more details: phones, and driving map
- 14 Bangkok's JW vs. Marriott Resort and Spa
- 15 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 16 Kyoto and beyond - 9 days trip in April 2014
- 17 Need a guide in Burma?
- 18 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 19 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
- 20 Japan and Hong Kong, September 2014
- 21 We recommend our Seoul serviced apartment
- 22 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 23 Vietnam Part 7 - the Final Leg
- 24 End Oct & early Nov a good time for viewing wildlife in Borneo?
- 25 One Week in Beijing, what would you do?