My husband Glen and I are in our late 20s/early 30s, living and working in Abu Dhabi, UAE and based in Washington DC. Between us we've traveled to 48 countries, yet never contributed to forums to share experiences for the benefit of other travelers until now. This is our first trip report, hope you'll find it helpful in planning your trip!
Dambulla - Sigiriya - Polonnaruwa - Kandy - Nuwara Eliya - Unawatuna Beach & Galle - Colombo
Flights - If convenient to go via Dubai, I recommend FlyDubai, a low-cost carrier with nonstop service to Colombo, arriving 5AM so you get the full day.
Health - We took yellow fever and typhoid vaccines to be safe, but opted out of malaria pills and used repellent instead. Check http://www.cdc.gov/ for travel health advice.
Transport - We hired a driver via email based on recommendations on travel forums. Aruna gave the best quote, and we were happy with him: pleasant, informed, punctual, accommodating. His email is: Aruna Chaminda <email@example.com>
Food - Local eateries run about US $2-$4 per person, and street food is generally safe and tasty. Hotel restaurants are dearer on the wallet - about $12-$20 per person, but offer non-spicy options if you have dietary restrictions. Must eat treat is called the 'hopper', a coconut milk and rice flour thin crispy bowl with fillings - the egg and cheese is delicious.
Tipping - It's standard to leave 10% for meals. Many restaurants bill 10% service charge, so it's optional to leave a little extra or round up. For hotel staff minimum is 100 rupees, less would be too low. Exchanges & ATMs dispense 1000 rupee notes so remember to break to have small bills on hand. For Aruna our driver we added 25% of his fee.
Washrooms - Outside of hotels, washrooms typically do not have toilet paper or soap, so keep tissues and sanitizer with you.
Now to details city by city ...
Sri Lanka in 7 Days: highlights & lessons learned
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 JR West rail pass changes and new Nozomi pass
- 2 Train vs Bus vs Taxi from Narita to Tokyo/Takkyubin service to Narita
- 3 Is Boutique Sri Lanka out of business?
- 4 BKK Airport Meeting Spot
- 5 5 nights in Japan.
- 6 vietnam and laos
- 7 What did you think of Mumbai?
- 8 Elephants in Northern Thailand
- 9 A week in Hong Kong with a 6 yr old-where to stay?
- 10 Visa
- 11 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 12 Affordable Japan
- 13 Japan tips: where to stay in Tokyo, where to snowboard and day trips
- 14 Castle & King
- 15 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 16 Seoul - Cuckoo rice cooker
- 17 narrow down destinations, Japan 2 weeks in April
- 18 Moving to KL: Sim card + Place to stay
- 19 One Week in Asia, First Time Trip to Asia
- 20 Trip Report : Incredible India!
- 21 Southern India itinerary help needed
- 22 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 23 What I like about Mumbai
- 24 Travelling btwn M'asia&Jkt
- 25 5 Days in Siem Reap