We're planning our next trip to Japan in early February. The main reason to go is the Snow Light Path festival in Otaru but other than that, we honestly don't know what else to do since it's winter.
We've set aside 1.5 - 2 weeks for the trip, and the other attraction we would like to visit that can still be done in winter is the Fox Village, which is a day trip from Tokyo.
We plan to base ourselves in Tokyo, probably spend 3 days in Otaru just to see the snow festival and the music box museum, the rest will be spent in and around Tokyo.
Not sure what to do in Tokyo as all the recommended places don't seem all that interesting to me, and not sure if they will be open since it's winter. I'm not interested in amusement parks and not really into shopping. I'm also crowd-averse. So far only Tsukiji Fish Market interests me but I heard it's very crowded there. I love quiet atmosphere and sampling local cuisine. I also love the idea of visiting aquariums, zoos, and museums.
I'm interested in Yokohama for some reason and I think I'll actually love Kyoto more (shrines and gardens - but not sure in winter).
So now I'm a bit confused because it's all over the place and I need help narrowing it down. Any suggestion will be appreciated, thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Iconic Forskolin Extract
- 2 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 3 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 4 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 5 Taxi Service In Dehradun
- 6 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 7 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 8 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 9 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 10 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 11 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 12 November, March, June... Japan?
- 13 Itinerary Help Japan
- 14 3-4 Weeks in Bali alone?
- 15 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 16 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 17 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 18 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 19 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 20 Silk Road Tour - China
- 21 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 22 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 23 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 24 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 25 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report