Hi Hong Kong Fodorites
We're researching for our stopover in Hong Kong (on route to Italy) next May. A group of 5 - 3 in mid sixties (our folks) plus Lovener2&Lovener1 (both mid thirties). We have all been to Hong Kong before but for most in the group the last visit was pre-Handover. Our interests are great food, scenery, photography, hiking, and since this is HK, (& my Mum is coming), there will also be shopping.
I'm trying to reacquaint myself with the place and have been reading Fodors plus a couple of guidebooks. We will have 3 days and 2 nights on the stopover. I'm trying to make this leg particularly special (and not completely touristy) for my Dad who lived in HK for a year or so 20 years ago.
So, getting to the first question...
We are all seafood lovers and I'm wondering about a meal at Lei Yue Mun. I have read that as a visitor & without having a local person, I am likely to be charged 3 x extra and receive lower quality seafood.
Does anyone have any advice for navigating through this issue or do we just need to take it on the chin? I've also read that there is a protocol of ordering at the live tank and then taking to a restaurant?
I'd be grateful if someone can please step me through the ins & outs / share their restaurant recommendation (I understand there are many) and suggest possible seafood I should order for 5 adults.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam visa debate
- 2 Please help us with planning a Silk Road tour in China 2017
- 3 Japan Cherry Blossom time 2018
- 4 Transfers and hotel Hong Kong
- 5 Vietnam visa
- 6 Please help me to start planning a trip to Bhutan
- 7 Silk Road Tour - China
- 8 Bye bye SE Asia
- 9 Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam 3 weeks itinerary and visa help
- 10 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 11 Purchasing Kamagawa Odori tickets?
- 12 Japan - 2 itineraries (7days)
- 13 India Tour Companies
- 14 Train to Sapa from Hanoi
- 15 Laos planning.
- 16 Japan rough itinerary
- 17 Pocket Wi-Fi Speeds (187.5 Mbps v. 75 Mbps)?
- 18 Hotel Claska vs. Prince Sakura Tower
- 19 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 20 Can buy a JR Pass in Japan
- 21 Last Minute Bali Honeymoon
- 22 One night in Osaka
- 23 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers.
- 24 Japan - costs
- 25 Japan for Foodies
Lei Yue Mun - seafood district, ok for visitors or will we be ripped off?
Hi Hong Kong Fodorites