Hi Hong Kong Fodorites
We're researching for our stopover in Hong Kong (on route to Italy) next May. A group of 5 - 3 in mid sixties (our folks) plus Lovener2&Lovener1 (both mid thirties). We have all been to Hong Kong before but for most in the group the last visit was pre-Handover. Our interests are great food, scenery, photography, hiking, and since this is HK, (& my Mum is coming), there will also be shopping.
I'm trying to reacquaint myself with the place and have been reading Fodors plus a couple of guidebooks. We will have 3 days and 2 nights on the stopover. I'm trying to make this leg particularly special (and not completely touristy) for my Dad who lived in HK for a year or so 20 years ago.
So, getting to the first question...
We are all seafood lovers and I'm wondering about a meal at Lei Yue Mun. I have read that as a visitor & without having a local person, I am likely to be charged 3 x extra and receive lower quality seafood.
Does anyone have any advice for navigating through this issue or do we just need to take it on the chin? I've also read that there is a protocol of ordering at the live tank and then taking to a restaurant?
I'd be grateful if someone can please step me through the ins & outs / share their restaurant recommendation (I understand there are many) and suggest possible seafood I should order for 5 adults.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Looking for access code to travel
- 2 Good Places to See in Ooty?
- 3 What are the best places to visit in karnataka during November?
- 4 Permit alert Andaman Islands
- 5 First Trip to Japan - help with planning please
- 6 Sim cards and adaptors
- 7 Sapa - current conditions due to typhoon
- 8 Tasting Sri Lanka
- 9 Hotel in Hanoi
- 10 Four Days in South Korea (Incheon and Seoul) with Baby
- 11 First time to Japan - tour or independent trip?
- 12 Trip Report: Malaysia in 2 weeks
- 13 India help needed
- 14 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan and Japan
- 15 Help with SEAsia itinerary
- 16 Trekking outside Sapa
- 17 Place to stay Hue
- 18 Custom Dress and man’s suit made in Hoi Ann
- 19 Advice on where to stay in Luang Prabang
- 20 Need help filling out my itinerary
- 21 6-8 Weeks in South East Asia
- 22 Go to Pai or not?
- 23 Ko Kraden hotels
- 24 Driver needed from Heho airport to Kalaw, from Kalaw to Inle lake
- 25 Hoi Ann hotel
Lei Yue Mun - seafood district, ok for visitors or will we be ripped off?
Hi Hong Kong Fodorites