Hi Hong Kong Fodorites
We're researching for our stopover in Hong Kong (on route to Italy) next May. A group of 5 - 3 in mid sixties (our folks) plus Lovener2&Lovener1 (both mid thirties). We have all been to Hong Kong before but for most in the group the last visit was pre-Handover. Our interests are great food, scenery, photography, hiking, and since this is HK, (& my Mum is coming), there will also be shopping.
I'm trying to reacquaint myself with the place and have been reading Fodors plus a couple of guidebooks. We will have 3 days and 2 nights on the stopover. I'm trying to make this leg particularly special (and not completely touristy) for my Dad who lived in HK for a year or so 20 years ago.
So, getting to the first question...
We are all seafood lovers and I'm wondering about a meal at Lei Yue Mun. I have read that as a visitor & without having a local person, I am likely to be charged 3 x extra and receive lower quality seafood.
Does anyone have any advice for navigating through this issue or do we just need to take it on the chin? I've also read that there is a protocol of ordering at the live tank and then taking to a restaurant?
I'd be grateful if someone can please step me through the ins & outs / share their restaurant recommendation (I understand there are many) and suggest possible seafood I should order for 5 adults.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 a year in burma
- 2 Anyone used China Odyssey?
- 3 Tips for Chiang Rai (or stop eleswhere ?)
- 4 Southern India here we come
- 5 salesforce release management
- 6 Capsule hotels
- 7 Vaccinations
- 8 Vietnam trekking travel | vietnam tours
- 9 Borneo forest fires
- 10 TXinjiang safety KKH Safety
- 11 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 12 Itinerary set for Japan trip #2: working on some details
- 13 Prehistoric sites in Java and Bali
- 14 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 15 Taipei 10 Night Itinerary
- 16 Sinorama Tour-Oct. 1, 2016
- 17 Interestig article about Luang Prabang & UNESCO heritage appellation
- 18 Bridge players Beware!!
- 19 Is series 2006 usd accepted in thailqnd
- 20 Help finding a ryokan / onsen!
- 21 Travelling in China during the summer period
- 22 Chengdu and Beijing
- 23 One month on Bali/Lombok
- 24 2 months in Indonesia
- 25 First time to SEA
Lei Yue Mun - seafood district, ok for visitors or will we be ripped off?
Hi Hong Kong Fodorites