Hi Hong Kong Fodorites
We're researching for our stopover in Hong Kong (on route to Italy) next May. A group of 5 - 3 in mid sixties (our folks) plus Lovener2&Lovener1 (both mid thirties). We have all been to Hong Kong before but for most in the group the last visit was pre-Handover. Our interests are great food, scenery, photography, hiking, and since this is HK, (& my Mum is coming), there will also be shopping.
I'm trying to reacquaint myself with the place and have been reading Fodors plus a couple of guidebooks. We will have 3 days and 2 nights on the stopover. I'm trying to make this leg particularly special (and not completely touristy) for my Dad who lived in HK for a year or so 20 years ago.
So, getting to the first question...
We are all seafood lovers and I'm wondering about a meal at Lei Yue Mun. I have read that as a visitor & without having a local person, I am likely to be charged 3 x extra and receive lower quality seafood.
Does anyone have any advice for navigating through this issue or do we just need to take it on the chin? I've also read that there is a protocol of ordering at the live tank and then taking to a restaurant?
I'd be grateful if someone can please step me through the ins & outs / share their restaurant recommendation (I understand there are many) and suggest possible seafood I should order for 5 adults.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 2 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 3 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 4 5 weeks in Japan
- 5 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 6 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 7 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 8 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 9 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 10 Lodge in Borneo
- 11 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 12 China and Japan help
- 13 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 14 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 15 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 16 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 17 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 18 Requesting Passport Number
- 19 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 20 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 21 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 22 Phu Quoc
- 23 looking for Vietnam based TA to help plan trip
- 24 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 25 Help! India Visa question....
Lei Yue Mun - seafood district, ok for visitors or will we be ripped off?
Hi Hong Kong Fodorites