I'm travelling to Japan (flying into Tokyo) on Oct 8 2013 for 37 days. A solo trip for...perhaps, self-discovery, stress release, travel challenge, cultural experience, etc. Had the idea several years only to find time to do it now.
Initially thought of following main rail routes then visit nearby places before proceeding to next destination:
Northbound : Tokyo - Utsunomiya/Nikko - Sendai - Ichinoseki - Hachinohe - Aomori - Hakodate - Sapporo - Asahikawa
Head back South: Asahikawa - Hirosaki - Sakata - Niigata - Kanazawa - Fukui - Nagoya - Kyoto/Osaka/Nara/Kobe - Himeji - Hiroshima - Shimonoseki - Fukuoka - Saga - Nagasaki - Kagoshima
Head North back towards Tokyo : Basically like a counter-clockwise travel around Japan.
However, change of plans (not wanting to deal with reservations, baggage, etc), deciding to base in Tokyo. Maybe add Osaka, Aomori & Fukuoka as hubs, then travel back and forth with Japan Rail Pass (3 weeks) while remaining days are optional depending on your suggestions, either buying additional 2 weeks JRP or just spend time somewhere. Intending to spend 7 - 10 days in Tokyo as I have relative in the city.
Almost finalising to:
Oct 9 - 15 : Tokyo
Oct 15 - Nov 5 : Journey
Nov 6 - 14 : Tokyo
About myself / my travel:
Asian male in late 20's : first time solo travel : budget trip : don't understand Japanese : open to cultural interactions / conversations at restaurants, bars, etc. : not intending visits to museums : not too big on shrines (fee / free) except to the must visit shrines (if you suggest) : don't really have much must see places to visit : flexible time frame to spend in each location : walk fast, quick view, light weight.
Minor shopping activities, looking for clothings (unfashionable guy, perhaps image change, Uniqlo?), a casio protrek and maybe a canon g15 (maybe cheaper in Japan? if I haven't bought it already within the next 2 weeks) : minor souvenir shopping.
Big on food so any recommended restaurants, street stalls, snack shops anywhere along the mentioned cities would be great. Nothing on the extreme in terms of cost (I'm a poor guy). I can eat 2 sets of Mcd and immediately proceed to family dinner but I don't eat snail, squid and anything of similar taste : intending to walk a lot, willing to walk jungle tracks and hidden areas for must see places : will be trying out photography scenery, macro (can't do much about self-portraits since travelling alone)
Any idea about temporary phone/data line for gps/data usage?
I know it seems a bit much to cram many places into one trip but it might be my only one trip to Japan in many years to come so just hope I can visit and do as much as possible in one trip.
Any suggestion and advise would be highly appreciated. Anyone travelers with similar plans?
Kindly requesting suggestions for Japan trip over 40 days begining Oct 8
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Help with Myanmar Itinerary 15 nights
- 2 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 3 How safe is it for US Citizens in Hat Yai and Violence in Southern Thailand
- 4 Angkor Wat tour guide recommedations
- 5 Thailand - what to wear in November, and, cosmetics
- 6 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 7 Xian - Make your own warriors?
- 8 What to pack? For Burma and Thailand
- 9 Kyoto and beyond - 9 days trip in April 2014
- 10 We recommend our Seoul serviced apartment
- 11 Japan and Hong Kong, September 2014
- 12 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 13 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 14 Overnight trek to Mine Thauk Village?
- 15 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 16 Belated 2012 Trip Report - Two Weeks in South Korea
- 17 Custom made women's wool slacks in Seoul
- 18 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 19 Looking for input on honeymoon itinerary
- 20 A trip to Mahabaleshwar (India)
- 21 Kashmir today
- 22 Vietnam Trip Report: March 2014
- 23 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
- 24 Vietnam - In Search of Accessible Nature
- 25 Heading to Koh Lipe, missing the boat. So need to spend the night.