I'm researching my first African trip and have some questions.
Mid-FEBRUARY, 2017 is our time.
DESTINATION: TANZANIA (and maybe somewhere else?)
ABOUT US: Four 40-50-ish adults.
All adventurous and willing to walk.
We don't need to be pampered.
We'd welcome at least some of our nights be 'Glamping' style, though.
No need for 5-star accommodations, but clean would be nice.
We have about 18 days to leave the Pacific Northwest and be delivered back there. I figure that leaves 13-14 days in
Wildlife is our primary consideration. We'd like to see the Great Migration this time of year in order to see the baby
We'd like to do a hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti.
We'd like to have a 'private' tour (The 4 of us and a guide in a vehicle).
I really want to see elephants.
Money is a consideration. We're not going to spend $20k per person because none of us feels like we need 5-star
accommodations along the way.
Is a 9-night or so safari sufficient?
If so/not why?
If 9-night safari, then what should we do for our other 4-5 days?
We'd consider Zanzibar, but we are not beach-sitters. We'd rather see interesting sights/ culture/ cities. Is Zanzibar
worth the time/effort/money to get there when beaches aren't our thing?
What about Nairobi? Most of what I read says Nairobi isn't necessarily worth the trip. Agree? Disagree?
How about just more Safari? Should we instead use our remaining 4-5 days on increasing the safari duration?
Another option would be to have a stopover somewhere. We could do Germany or New York? Iceland? Somewhere
else maybe even in Africa?
I'd rather not spend 3 of the extra days just traveling so I'm sort of hedging toward more safari or Zanzibar if it's
What about accommodations? I see that there are 'Tented Camps', 'lodges', Mobile tented camps, and sometimes
tented camps that you bring with you. We'd be open to ANY of these options or in my mind the best way would be to
have ALL of these options interspersed. A taste of each type of travel. I'd happily sleep on the ground for a few days if
it brought me a new experience especially if that experience was to be closer to, or viewing more, animals in the wild.
Is $10k per person when booking a safari for 4 people too much?
SAFARI BOOKING COMPANIES:
I see that there are many. Will most take into account our needs and adjust the lenght of stay and accommodation
types to our needs or are they generally specific itineraries that we need to follow. IE: Can we mix up the
accommodation types? Can we fit a hot air balloon ride into our trip easily through a booking company?
ACTIVITIES OTHER THAN SAFARI:
How about visiting local villages? Other activities that are 'must-do' items for a once-in-a-lifetime African safari?
I understand I'm asking many questions. Should I be breaking them up on this site or is this appropriate?
ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS THAT I DID NOT PROVIDE THAT I SHOULD BE ASKING?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 CANON PRINTER 1888:482:3831 installation CONTACT CANON Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 3 Safari in South Africa
- 4 Lower Zambezi vs. Northern So. Luangwa
- 5 City Day guides and Sahara adventure
- 6 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 7 November Safari Help: Botswana or Kruger?
- 8 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 9 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 10 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 11 Sabi Sands Savanna Private Reserve vs Timbavati Motswari Game Lodge
- 12 Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe and Zambia) - Travel Report
- 13 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 14 Straight through to Kenya or layover?
- 15 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 16 Advise on Hotel stay and attractions visit in Casablanca
- 17 Experience of using Namibia Tracks and Trails
- 18 Transfer time at JNB Intl. airport
- 19 Sabi Sands areavs Motswari Timbavati area
- 20 Kilimanjaro Tour Operators
- 21 Egypt in 6 days itinerary - please advise
- 22 Going to Israel end of October. Maybe silly, but what shoes to bring?
- 23 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 24 Where are the best safaris in Africa?
- 25 Wilson airport transfer to NBO