I am just beginning to think about a trip to South Africa next year (or possibly the first half of 2019) -- need to do LOTS of research because this is definitely outside my experience/knowledge.
My first basic Questions to get me started:
1) Are there one or two specific guidebooks recommended for basic/background info?
2) Think I want mainly Capetown, wine region(s) and some sort of safari experience -- but I'd like to limit the trip to 2 weeks max total - so only 10-12 days in country. Is this possible?
3) Have a basically open calendar so which would be the best month(s) for this?
4) I'm pretty sure I want to stick to Malaria free areas - can I get a decent safari/animal viewing experience with that limitation?
5) Are there any safari companies that don't have HUGE single supplements?
Phew -- that was more than I thought I'd ask this first go round OK - any help/hints to point me in the right direction?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Morocco Trip Report
- 2 Current Recs for Driver/Guide in Morocco
- 3 Draft itinerary for Morocco
- 4 Our Magic Carpet Ride-Marrakesh!
- 5 11 days...Jordan and Israel ...help with itinerary
- 6 Cape Town & wine country in July? Help...
- 7 11 days Jordan and Israel...need help with planning
- 8 Safety issues driving the Garden Route in South Africa?
- 9 Other than car rental how to get to Kruger from Johannesburg?
- 10 Late August Cape Town/Safari/Vic Falls Advice Wanted
- 11 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 12 Marrakech
- 13 Moroccan Camel Safari
- 14 Accommodation in Cape Town
- 15 Abu Dhabi overnight stay
- 16 Babies Galore: Kenya in April
- 17 Audley Travel
- 18 Can "European" plugs be used in South Africa?
- 19 what kind of plug adapters to use in south africa
- 20 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 21 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 22 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 23 Lower Zambezi vs. Northern So. Luangwa
- 24 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 25 Safari in South Africa