My husband and I are planning a trip to South Africa for late March/early April 2016. We are young professionals and thus have a moderate budget but very short on time (8 days in, 11 days total). For our accommodations, we usually stay in B&Bs and boutique hotels (not luxury, just clean, comfortable, centrally located). Currently focusing on Sabi Sands and Cape Town - I know there is so much more to SA than these two areas, but with 8 days, I don't want to over-do it.
This will be our first time in Africa and I'm not currently planning on using a tour operator, so a critical eye would be much appreciated!
Day One: Travel: outgoing pm flight from ATL to JHB
Day Two: Travel: arrive in JHB at 5:00 local time; overnight at B&B or small hotel (possibly Ginnegaap or Blue Mango Lodge?)
Day Three: Travel OR Tambo to Skukuza via the morning Airlink flight;
land transfer from Skukuza to Sabi Sands lodge (currently deciding between Notten's, Kirkman's, and Lion Sands River Lodge - thoughts?)
Day Four: Sabi Sands
Day Five: Sabi Sands
Day Six: Depart Sabi Sands; land transfer to Skukuza and travel via 13:30 flight to CPT; arrive around 18:00, pick up rental car; exploring Cape Town
Day Seven: Cape Town: 1/2 day trip: Winelands/Franschoek Wine Tram OR Robben's Island
Day Eight: Cape Town: AM - Kirstenboesch Botanical Gardens + Table Mountain (likely we would just take the cable car up and back, though we have discussed hiking one way, weather permitting)
PM - Bo-Kaap exploring (shops and salon, Bo-Kaap Museum, dinner in Bo-Kaap)
Day Nine: Cape Town: day trip: drive to the Cape of Good Hope, Boulder's Beach; leisurely exploring
Day Ten: Cape Town: flea market, waterfront area; visit any misc. shops; late check out, drop off rental car, and late evening flight out from CPT
Day Eleven: Travel, ctd. to our final destination
I know many folks prefer to end with safari.. however, we usually buy books as our souvenirs which I imagine will significantly weigh down our bags for the AirLInk flights.
Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, experiences, recommendations! Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 1.5 hours layover Dubai-enough time?
- 2 Draft itinerary for Morocco
- 3 Morocco: Do it yourself, or get a tour company?
- 4 Morocco Working Itinerary
- 5 Safari - Camera / Binoculars
- 6 Is a riad pool in Marrakech usable in May?
- 7 Lag b'Omer: Tel Aviv - Meron after shabbat: how?
- 8 Petra from Israel
- 9 Vaccinations and Traveling S Africa / Botswana / Seychelles
- 10 Kenya + Seychelles Honeymoon
- 11 Morocco Trip End of April - itinerary help please!
- 12 israel tour
- 13 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 14 Can the Seychelles be done on a budget?
- 15 Family Kenya Safari July 2017
- 16 Luxury train ride
- 17 Safety in Fes
- 18 6 Weeks in South & East Africa - travel advice
- 19 Sim card mainly for data
- 20 Honeymoon - South Africa
- 21 Morocco: no such thing as fixed price in Medina
- 22 August 2017 Travel to Kenya/Tanzania
- 23 Urgent help please for my final itinerary Morocco 10 nights
- 24 Cape Town
- 25 An Ugandan Urge- Gorillas & Chimps in the midst