My husband and I are planning a trip to South Africa for late March/early April 2016. We are young professionals and thus have a moderate budget but very short on time (8 days in, 11 days total). For our accommodations, we usually stay in B&Bs and boutique hotels (not luxury, just clean, comfortable, centrally located). Currently focusing on Sabi Sands and Cape Town - I know there is so much more to SA than these two areas, but with 8 days, I don't want to over-do it.
This will be our first time in Africa and I'm not currently planning on using a tour operator, so a critical eye would be much appreciated!
Day One: Travel: outgoing pm flight from ATL to JHB
Day Two: Travel: arrive in JHB at 5:00 local time; overnight at B&B or small hotel (possibly Ginnegaap or Blue Mango Lodge?)
Day Three: Travel OR Tambo to Skukuza via the morning Airlink flight;
land transfer from Skukuza to Sabi Sands lodge (currently deciding between Notten's, Kirkman's, and Lion Sands River Lodge - thoughts?)
Day Four: Sabi Sands
Day Five: Sabi Sands
Day Six: Depart Sabi Sands; land transfer to Skukuza and travel via 13:30 flight to CPT; arrive around 18:00, pick up rental car; exploring Cape Town
Day Seven: Cape Town: 1/2 day trip: Winelands/Franschoek Wine Tram OR Robben's Island
Day Eight: Cape Town: AM - Kirstenboesch Botanical Gardens + Table Mountain (likely we would just take the cable car up and back, though we have discussed hiking one way, weather permitting)
PM - Bo-Kaap exploring (shops and salon, Bo-Kaap Museum, dinner in Bo-Kaap)
Day Nine: Cape Town: day trip: drive to the Cape of Good Hope, Boulder's Beach; leisurely exploring
Day Ten: Cape Town: flea market, waterfront area; visit any misc. shops; late check out, drop off rental car, and late evening flight out from CPT
Day Eleven: Travel, ctd. to our final destination
I know many folks prefer to end with safari.. however, we usually buy books as our souvenirs which I imagine will significantly weigh down our bags for the AirLInk flights.
Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, experiences, recommendations! Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 http://lumalifteye.com/trim-fire-forskolin/
- 2 Busting that joints
- 3 Aids to construct sculpted, lean, and toned body like a muscular
- 4 Need help planning Namibia Trip!
- 5 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 6 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 7 Shimba Hills Mombasa Kenya Would This Works As A Day Trip From A Cruise?
- 8 Best books to read before Morocco visit? (not guide books)
- 9 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 10 4th Safari with Warrior Trails in 2016
- 11 Lady Liuwa no more !!
- 12 Gamewatchers are great for helping plan
- 13 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 14 Women's wear for Dubai?
- 15 Dubai Guide
- 16 Solo/female/40's US traveler req tour operator recommendations
- 17 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 18 Cape Town/ Wineland Tour
- 19 Bush plane luggage (again)
- 20 Loldia House Kenya
- 21 rekero and encounter mara vehicles
- 22 Alexandria
- 23 kicheche compared to porini
- 24 best bag to get for fly in safari in kenya
- 25 Planning Tanzania trip-how many months?