My husband and I are planning a trip to South Africa for late March/early April 2016. We are young professionals and thus have a moderate budget but very short on time (8 days in, 11 days total). For our accommodations, we usually stay in B&Bs and boutique hotels (not luxury, just clean, comfortable, centrally located). Currently focusing on Sabi Sands and Cape Town - I know there is so much more to SA than these two areas, but with 8 days, I don't want to over-do it.
This will be our first time in Africa and I'm not currently planning on using a tour operator, so a critical eye would be much appreciated!
Day One: Travel: outgoing pm flight from ATL to JHB
Day Two: Travel: arrive in JHB at 5:00 local time; overnight at B&B or small hotel (possibly Ginnegaap or Blue Mango Lodge?)
Day Three: Travel OR Tambo to Skukuza via the morning Airlink flight;
land transfer from Skukuza to Sabi Sands lodge (currently deciding between Notten's, Kirkman's, and Lion Sands River Lodge - thoughts?)
Day Four: Sabi Sands
Day Five: Sabi Sands
Day Six: Depart Sabi Sands; land transfer to Skukuza and travel via 13:30 flight to CPT; arrive around 18:00, pick up rental car; exploring Cape Town
Day Seven: Cape Town: 1/2 day trip: Winelands/Franschoek Wine Tram OR Robben's Island
Day Eight: Cape Town: AM - Kirstenboesch Botanical Gardens + Table Mountain (likely we would just take the cable car up and back, though we have discussed hiking one way, weather permitting)
PM - Bo-Kaap exploring (shops and salon, Bo-Kaap Museum, dinner in Bo-Kaap)
Day Nine: Cape Town: day trip: drive to the Cape of Good Hope, Boulder's Beach; leisurely exploring
Day Ten: Cape Town: flea market, waterfront area; visit any misc. shops; late check out, drop off rental car, and late evening flight out from CPT
Day Eleven: Travel, ctd. to our final destination
I know many folks prefer to end with safari.. however, we usually buy books as our souvenirs which I imagine will significantly weigh down our bags for the AirLInk flights.
Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, experiences, recommendations! Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 http://www.supplementschoice.com/enduro-rush/
- 2 Trip Report: Tanzania Northern Circuit Safari with Earthlife Expeditions
- 3 What is the best Internet Service Provider in Cairo, Egypt?
- 4 Safari Goers, I Need Your Expertise!
- 5 An Ugandan Urge- Gorillas & Chimps in the midst
- 6 Our Magic Carpet Ride-Marrakesh!
- 7 Where do I even start planning my SA safari?
- 8 Itinerary Ideas
- 9 Tanzania Itinerary help
- 10 planning first safari to Tanzania ... feeling overwhelmed
- 11 Help with Israel Trip (First Timers): Some Basic Questions
- 12 Tel Aviv-Haifa: gifts and presents. Any ideas?
- 13 Narrowing down my 10 day itinerary
- 14 Kenya/Tanzania
- 15 Dubai first time
- 16 2 nights in Dubai
- 17 16 hours in Qatar
- 18 Petra from Israel
- 19 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 20 A South African in Lusaka
- 21 Packing for trip to Tanzania
- 22 Need tour operator for Tanzania and Kenya
- 23 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 24 RETURN TO BOTSWANA, PLUS JOHANNESBURG, 2017
- 25 Babies Galore: Kenya in April