1) I'm wondering where best to eat in Ruhengeri for a couple of nights -- some place with pretty fast service and western-style food. And is there a good/fast restaurant for lunch on the way to the Kigali airport from Butare? I've got a 5-hour drive that day and will definitely want to eat well before my onward transatlantic home.
2) I've been browsing the forums trying to get ahold of a street map of Ruhengeri (aka Musanze) to no avail. Has anyone got an old map they can scan out of an old guidebook?
Has anyone gone to Virunga Lodge for lunch recently -- how was the food?
3) Has anyone been to PNV in December/January -- how hot did it get on the trek, and what was the temp early morning and night? I've found some info on blogs where people complained it was very cold and damp -- just need to know what to pack.
4) I've got some new leather hiking boots which I'm breaking in for the trekking. They're not totally broken in yet, and though they aren't currently causing many problems, I want a backup pair. Need some advice here -- don't have too many options:
I've got some Nike trailrunners with decent (not great) treads, a bit better than regular running shoes. However, the toe part is not protected well -- I wanted a hard plastic stop, and the Nike one I can press in with my thumb. I wonder if these are still okay as a backup. Pls know I am very hard to fit, already in men's sizes (thus the poor fit), and running out of options (pardon the pun). The only other footwear I have are my Australian Blundstones, which have really no treads at all.
restaurant ideas, street maps, PNV weather, and feet!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 AHLA Tanzania Mt. Kilimanjaro & Safari 4 days
- 2 SATURDAYS IN JERUSALEM
- 3 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 4 trip report, morocco
- 5 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 6 Seeking Itinerary Routing for 3 week SA Trip
- 7 Help needed with itinerary for 2 weeks in Morocco
- 8 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 9 Kirawira vs. Serengeti Serena
- 10 Anyone had to disembark the aircraft in Dakar enroute to Jo'burg?
- 11 16 Days in South Africa (Victoria Falls, Zimbawe & Botswana)
- 12 Morocco for 2 nights
- 13 Kenya and Tanzania Trip Planning Help
- 14 MOROCCO SOLO
- 15 Draft itinerary - Portugal, Spain, Morocco
- 16 February vs March in Tanzania - Dueling Trip Reports
- 17 Looking for out of the way places
- 18 Morocco on the road: trip report
- 19 Help: 4 days, 3 nights in (or our of) Johannesburg
- 20 Tanzania Safari
- 21 Sabi Sands camps
- 22 Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius??
- 23 Photos from Sept 2013 Safari to Uganda
- 24 First Time in Israel Tour Suggestions
- 25 East Africa summer 2014