1) I'm wondering where best to eat in Ruhengeri for a couple of nights -- some place with pretty fast service and western-style food. And is there a good/fast restaurant for lunch on the way to the Kigali airport from Butare? I've got a 5-hour drive that day and will definitely want to eat well before my onward transatlantic home.
2) I've been browsing the forums trying to get ahold of a street map of Ruhengeri (aka Musanze) to no avail. Has anyone got an old map they can scan out of an old guidebook?
Has anyone gone to Virunga Lodge for lunch recently -- how was the food?
3) Has anyone been to PNV in December/January -- how hot did it get on the trek, and what was the temp early morning and night? I've found some info on blogs where people complained it was very cold and damp -- just need to know what to pack.
4) I've got some new leather hiking boots which I'm breaking in for the trekking. They're not totally broken in yet, and though they aren't currently causing many problems, I want a backup pair. Need some advice here -- don't have too many options:
I've got some Nike trailrunners with decent (not great) treads, a bit better than regular running shoes. However, the toe part is not protected well -- I wanted a hard plastic stop, and the Nike one I can press in with my thumb. I wonder if these are still okay as a backup. Pls know I am very hard to fit, already in men's sizes (thus the poor fit), and running out of options (pardon the pun). The only other footwear I have are my Australian Blundstones, which have really no treads at all.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Route planning and advice visiting Southern Africa by car.
- 2 South Africa Kgalagadi & Kruger back-to-back in 2016
- 3 March Trip to South Africa -- Need Quick Guidance Please!
- 4 Alexandria
- 5 Dubai in 36 hours
- 6 good internet connection option Meknes
- 7 A very belated TR - South of Namibia with Kgalagadi
- 8 South Africa trip report
- 9 Marrakesh - Expenses
- 10 Can gay people travel safely in Morocco?
- 11 Morocco Trip End of April - itinerary help please!
- 12 First time Safari - any comments on Wild Wings/Taga Safari companies?
- 13 Mombasa recomendations please
- 14 Private tours in Morocco
- 15 Kings Pool vs. Duma Tau
- 16 Hotels for Victoria falls
- 17 First time to Africa-need help!
- 18 How do I know if a company is legit
- 19 Point and Shoot camera for a Kenyan Safari
- 20 Question about Yellow Fever certificate
- 21 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains
- 22 Has anyone used this company in Uganda
- 23 Jewish tour Casablanca
- 24 Kenyan Safari Spending Money
- 25 Ethiopian security