1) I'm wondering where best to eat in Ruhengeri for a couple of nights -- some place with pretty fast service and western-style food. And is there a good/fast restaurant for lunch on the way to the Kigali airport from Butare? I've got a 5-hour drive that day and will definitely want to eat well before my onward transatlantic home.
2) I've been browsing the forums trying to get ahold of a street map of Ruhengeri (aka Musanze) to no avail. Has anyone got an old map they can scan out of an old guidebook?
Has anyone gone to Virunga Lodge for lunch recently -- how was the food?
3) Has anyone been to PNV in December/January -- how hot did it get on the trek, and what was the temp early morning and night? I've found some info on blogs where people complained it was very cold and damp -- just need to know what to pack.
4) I've got some new leather hiking boots which I'm breaking in for the trekking. They're not totally broken in yet, and though they aren't currently causing many problems, I want a backup pair. Need some advice here -- don't have too many options:
I've got some Nike trailrunners with decent (not great) treads, a bit better than regular running shoes. However, the toe part is not protected well -- I wanted a hard plastic stop, and the Nike one I can press in with my thumb. I wonder if these are still okay as a backup. Pls know I am very hard to fit, already in men's sizes (thus the poor fit), and running out of options (pardon the pun). The only other footwear I have are my Australian Blundstones, which have really no treads at all.
restaurant ideas, street maps, PNV weather, and feet!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Outlets to visit at Ramee Palace Hotel Bahrain
- 2 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 3 South Africa in February?
- 4 best camera for semi-novice for safari in tanzania & kenya (nikon p500)
- 5 Where to go after visit to Uganda in late March/early April
- 6 Egypt: Suggestions for what to do afternoon around Giza
- 7 Riad Saturday Night vs. Riad Dar El Janoub
- 8 Dubai first time
- 9 Now is the Time fo Egypt...
- 10 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 11 Zambia Impressions
- 12 Taste of Dubai
- 13 Morocco floods - areas affected
- 14 Zanzibar - from a resident's perspective
- 15 Magnificent wedding in the Masai Mara
- 16 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 17 Travel Report for Malawi - A Great Place To Relax
- 18 Serengeti Photo Safari - April 2015
- 19 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 20 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 21 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 22 Mauritius September 2015 - Silver Beach Resort or Emeraude Beach Attitude?
- 23 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 24 Where to spend extra night; Merzouga or Skoura?
- 25 Canoe Safari Jan - Feb