I've been lurking here a while. I decided to post now that I've actually got my trip to Botswana and Tanzania/Rwanda all planned and booked.
Around October of this year I read a friends trip report about their trip to Africa. I decided then and there I really needed to act out my life long dream to go to Africa. My wife and I have been talking about it for...going-on 40 years. I started frequenting Fodor's and some other travel related sites. I became fixated on Botswana. We wound up booking a 2 week trip to Botswana starting the last of May - thru our return date around June 15, 2008. We are doing a combination of the Wilderness camps... 2 nights DumaTau, 3 nights Little Vumbura, 3 nights Chitabe, 2 nights Mombo, 2 nights Deception Valley, 2 nights River Club.
Well, this wasn't entirely satisfactory to my wife since it didn't include a visit to see the mountain gorillas like I had promised. So around 2-3 weeks ago we decided to plan a trip to Tanzania / Rwanda. I already knew from their reputation and obvious knowledge I wanted to use Kiliwarriors. So, I contacted Eben and within a short time he presented a "complete itinerary". I asked a lot of questions, received a lot of well informed answers, and wound up finalizing the trip to Tanzania / Rwanda last week.
It is a rather short safari: Starting on January 15...1 night Lake Manyara/ Kirurumu, 1 night Ngorongoro Sopa, 4 nights in the Serengeti-EMC tented camp, fly from Serengeti to Rwanda, 2 nights Gorillas Nest (2 treks), 1 night Kigali Serena, fly back to Kilamanjaro, done - Jan 24.
I am really excited that I will soon be living this dream. I am also very happy that Kiliwarriors were able to put this together on such short notice.I really appreciate all the people (especially Eben) who contribute to this forum. I hope to do the same... after I have something to actually contribute. So, you can look forward to a complete report on both of my trips with (hopefully) plenty of photos.
We live in Cozumel, Mexico. We took all of our vacinations this week. That was a little unusual. The Dr ordered the vaccines for us and just handed them to us and told us to inject ourselves... 1 per day over the past few days. So starting Tuesday we gave ourselves 1 shot per day....our Yellow Fever shots, Typhoid shots, Hepatitis A shots, Measles-Tetanus-Diphtheria shots, and the Dr put a couple of drops in our mouths which was the polio vaccine. The only type of Malaria prevention we can find here is the Doxycycline which is sold over the counter like all the drugs are here. So we will be taking the Doxycycline for Malaria prevention.
We're trying to think of everything...particularly for the Tanzania tripo which is only about a month away, and since this is our first time. I sure wouldn't mind hearing any sugestions from people who have more trips like this under their belts. I was wondering if we should bring any hard-to-find items down for our guide(s). I dont want to bring any useless junk.. but if there are items we could bring along which they might not find easily, we could. I guess a big fat tip would be the best thing to bring???
Heading to Tanzania w/ Kiliwarriors
- 1 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 2 Map of Safari Camps in Greater Kruger?
- 3 WHERE TO? Botswana? Tanzania? South Africa?
- 4 Bugs n' Botswana
- 5 Safari Cost Comparison
- 6 Help with travel plans for Dubai
- 7 Group Trip to Israel
- 8 My Trip to Palestine
- 9 Anyone visiting Kenya 2014
- 10 1st Time Safari to South Africa -Lodge Recommendations!
- 11 TRIP REPORTART I: BUDGET, NOVICE TRIP TO ETHIOPIA AND KENYA
- 12 Being a tourist in Dubai
- 13 My trip to Egypt .....
- 14 Tanzania, Kili, Camels and Horses
- 15 My Big Fat Africa Trip - Input Appreciated!!!!
- 16 Safari and Beach in June
- 17 Help -- choosing a beach for honeymoon: Seychelles, Mauritius, Mozambique
- 18 Back from our self-drive in the northern circuit
- 19 Botswana Flights to the Kwando camps
- 20 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 21 Highlights and Photos: Self-drive Kenya & Tanzania August 2009
- 22 Homestay Accomodation
- 23 A new Tourism Region - Zambesia
- 24 Morocco with Desert Majesty
- 25 Grootberg Lodge & Camp Kipwe in Damaraland, Namibia