On recent trip was disappointed by Sopa (tarangire) and Serena (Manyara, Serengeti, Ngoro) lodges converting our bar, etc, bills to dollars for our charge cards (instead of leaving in Tanz shillings), at fairly unfavorable exchange rates. They claimed 'their machines could only work in US dollars' - don't know what they did for other currencies. This is a sad scam for otherwise decent properties, and we did not experience this in our Kenyan lodges. We should have used ATMs to get enough Tanz cash to pay.
Charges at Serena and Sopa lodges
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Jordan safety concerns
- 2 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 3 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 4 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 5 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 6 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 7 Best Economy Hotels In Bahrain
- 8 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 9 A family safari in Tanzania
- 10 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 11 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 12 Uganda Trip Report
- 13 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 14 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 15 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 16 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 17 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 18 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 19 Boutique hotels in israel
- 20 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 21 Short layover at JNB
- 22 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 23 Uganda or Rwanda?
- 24 Driving from Casablanca to Marrakesh?
- 25 Soweto guide and pricing to expect?