On recent trip was disappointed by Sopa (tarangire) and Serena (Manyara, Serengeti, Ngoro) lodges converting our bar, etc, bills to dollars for our charge cards (instead of leaving in Tanz shillings), at fairly unfavorable exchange rates. They claimed 'their machines could only work in US dollars' - don't know what they did for other currencies. This is a sad scam for otherwise decent properties, and we did not experience this in our Kenyan lodges. We should have used ATMs to get enough Tanz cash to pay.
Charges at Serena and Sopa lodges
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 2 Quick question about Kenya..
- 3 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 4 Egypt, Israel and Jordan safety concerns.
- 5 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 6 Questions about Chobe
- 7 15 days, 5 walks, 4 medinas, 3 gal of mint tea, 2 camel rides, one Morocco!
- 8 FS: 2013 Toyota Sequoia PLATINUM / Evoque 2012
- 9 Mala Mala Luxury Suite or Sabi Sabi Mandleve Presidential Suite?
- 10 What camera to use on safari
- 11 Wildlife camps in Kenya and Tanzania
- 12 Staying out all day vs coming in for lunch in Botswana parks/concessions?
- 13 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 14 India
- 15 Tanzania (Ruaha): Trip Report for Mwagusi Camp
- 16 Ideas about the trip.
- 17 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 18 3 days in Teheran
- 19 CAMEL TREK IN MOROCCO
- 20 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 21 Draft itinerary - Portugal, Spain, Morocco
- 22 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 23 Oman - moderate priced hotel near souks
- 24 Taxi - Casablanca Airport to El Jdidh
- 25 Ethiopian Air - Horrible