I'm fiddling with the idea of visiting Egypt next summer with a side trip to Petra, Jordan. I have only about 10-12 days, so am trying to decide what might be the best way to see the best of Egypt without overdoing it.
I will most likely be flying in from Nice to Cairo, and assuming that takes half a day, below is my proposed itinerary (at least in terms of the places I would like to visit--I'm not sure about intercity transport yet!):
Day 1 (Travel day): Arrive in Cairo. Take train to Alexandria, sleep in Alexandria.
Day 2 (Alexandria): Alexandria day.
Day 3 (Cairo): Early train to Cairo. Explore city/museum.
Day 4 (Cairo): Giza Pyramids, Sphinx.
Day 5 (Cairo): Other Cairo? At night, take Sleeper Train from Giza to Luxor.
Day 6 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 7 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 8 (Aswan): Train to Aswan.
*Day 9 (Aswan): Day trip to Abu Simbel.
*Day 10 (Aswan): Day trip to Kom Ombo.
Day 11 (Amman): Fly into Amman. Leave for Petra, sleep in the Park--price?!
Day 12 (Petra): Explore etc. Leave for Amman by noon, explore the rest of Amman.
Day 13 (Amman): Fly back home!
a) Main question is if people think this is a manageable itinerary? I would be happier if this was an 11-day itinerary, so any suggestions as to which days I can cut out would be appreciated. Should I do one day less in Cairo? Or cut out Alexandria?
b) If I arrive in Cairo at 1am, would it be safe/easy to head to my accommodation in the city late at night?
c) Aside from Petra, is there any other feature in my itinerary that's going to be particularly costly? I'll be traveling on a backpacker's budget! I've considered the sleeper train costs, but think it'll be worth forking out the extra for a first-class private cabin, seeing as I'll be using the overnight train a lot and will need all the energy when I wake up, so that's fine.
d) Between Aswan and Dahab--what's the best mode of transport? My initial plan was to leave for Dahab from Aswan, but I'm not sure if that's entirely practical. Any suggestions?
e) A "1-day" overnight pass to Petra (the one costing 50JD)--what does that mean, exactly? Do I have 24 hours in the park, or do I have to arrive at night on Day 1 to be able to spend the next day in the Park, or...?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 2 April Budget Safari - Tanzania
- 3 Help with Kenya Safari plans.
- 4 Safari In June
- 5 Business trip to Israel
- 6 Advice for 1st tip to Kenya
- 7 Trip Report : Jordan and United Arab Emirates
- 8 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 9 honeymoon place
- 10 Suggestions needed for 5 days in Tunisia
- 11 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, hidden gems not on the normal tourist path?
- 12 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 13 Hire a driver for a week in Morocco
- 14 Trip Report : Mauritius and Rodrigues
- 15 First Trip to Africa, first safari...which itinerary should I go with?
- 16 South African Safari Company Recommendations
- 17 Yom Hazikaron
- 18 Yom Haatzmaut
- 19 Morocco April Itinerary 10 days
- 20 May 10-July 10 in Africa
- 21 recomendation on African Safari company
- 22 Comparing a few cities in Morocco
- 23 Tour with friendly planet to SA in October 2016
- 24 One extra day in Jordan
- 25 Burkina Faso travel tips route tourist attractions photo gallery
11 day-ish Egypt itinerary--need comments and suggestions!