I'm fiddling with the idea of visiting Egypt next summer with a side trip to Petra, Jordan. I have only about 10-12 days, so am trying to decide what might be the best way to see the best of Egypt without overdoing it.
I will most likely be flying in from Nice to Cairo, and assuming that takes half a day, below is my proposed itinerary (at least in terms of the places I would like to visit--I'm not sure about intercity transport yet!):
Day 1 (Travel day): Arrive in Cairo. Take train to Alexandria, sleep in Alexandria.
Day 2 (Alexandria): Alexandria day.
Day 3 (Cairo): Early train to Cairo. Explore city/museum.
Day 4 (Cairo): Giza Pyramids, Sphinx.
Day 5 (Cairo): Other Cairo? At night, take Sleeper Train from Giza to Luxor.
Day 6 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 7 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 8 (Aswan): Train to Aswan.
*Day 9 (Aswan): Day trip to Abu Simbel.
*Day 10 (Aswan): Day trip to Kom Ombo.
Day 11 (Amman): Fly into Amman. Leave for Petra, sleep in the Park--price?!
Day 12 (Petra): Explore etc. Leave for Amman by noon, explore the rest of Amman.
Day 13 (Amman): Fly back home!
a) Main question is if people think this is a manageable itinerary? I would be happier if this was an 11-day itinerary, so any suggestions as to which days I can cut out would be appreciated. Should I do one day less in Cairo? Or cut out Alexandria?
b) If I arrive in Cairo at 1am, would it be safe/easy to head to my accommodation in the city late at night?
c) Aside from Petra, is there any other feature in my itinerary that's going to be particularly costly? I'll be traveling on a backpacker's budget! I've considered the sleeper train costs, but think it'll be worth forking out the extra for a first-class private cabin, seeing as I'll be using the overnight train a lot and will need all the energy when I wake up, so that's fine.
d) Between Aswan and Dahab--what's the best mode of transport? My initial plan was to leave for Dahab from Aswan, but I'm not sure if that's entirely practical. Any suggestions?
e) A "1-day" overnight pass to Petra (the one costing 50JD)--what does that mean, exactly? Do I have 24 hours in the park, or do I have to arrive at night on Day 1 to be able to spend the next day in the Park, or...?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Seeking recommendation: Beach hotel in Netanya
- 2 Spain and Morocco over 90 Days
- 3 Thinking About Africa...Again!
- 4 advise on joburg pls!
- 5 help with itinerary please
- 6 Where to holiday in late June/early July 2017?
- 7 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 8 A weeks trip to Egypt.couple with a year old babys first birthday!!
- 9 Township Tour Guide
- 10 Draft itinerary for Morocco
- 11 Gorilla Trekking Rwanda 3 months Pregnant
- 12 Luggage restrictions
- 13 ISRAEL TRIP
- 14 Transportation from Casablanca to Rabat
- 15 South Africa Honeymoon: Sabi Sands Reserve Lodge Recommendation
- 16 Advice on Cape Town in July
- 17 2 Expeditions To The The Danakil Depression - My Experiences
- 18 15 day tour in Morocco - itinerary advices
- 19 Cape Town + Eastern Cape
- 20 Help with safari itinerary with 9 year old
- 21 Tel Aviv Nightlife for 30+
- 22 Advice on East African trip
- 23 Help plan African Safari
- 24 Anyone stayed at Mosetlha Camp in Madikwe?
- 25 East African Visa Beware!!!
11 day-ish Egypt itinerary--need comments and suggestions!