I'm fiddling with the idea of visiting Egypt next summer with a side trip to Petra, Jordan. I have only about 10-12 days, so am trying to decide what might be the best way to see the best of Egypt without overdoing it.
I will most likely be flying in from Nice to Cairo, and assuming that takes half a day, below is my proposed itinerary (at least in terms of the places I would like to visit--I'm not sure about intercity transport yet!):
Day 1 (Travel day): Arrive in Cairo. Take train to Alexandria, sleep in Alexandria.
Day 2 (Alexandria): Alexandria day.
Day 3 (Cairo): Early train to Cairo. Explore city/museum.
Day 4 (Cairo): Giza Pyramids, Sphinx.
Day 5 (Cairo): Other Cairo? At night, take Sleeper Train from Giza to Luxor.
Day 6 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 7 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 8 (Aswan): Train to Aswan.
*Day 9 (Aswan): Day trip to Abu Simbel.
*Day 10 (Aswan): Day trip to Kom Ombo.
Day 11 (Amman): Fly into Amman. Leave for Petra, sleep in the Park--price?!
Day 12 (Petra): Explore etc. Leave for Amman by noon, explore the rest of Amman.
Day 13 (Amman): Fly back home!
a) Main question is if people think this is a manageable itinerary? I would be happier if this was an 11-day itinerary, so any suggestions as to which days I can cut out would be appreciated. Should I do one day less in Cairo? Or cut out Alexandria?
b) If I arrive in Cairo at 1am, would it be safe/easy to head to my accommodation in the city late at night?
c) Aside from Petra, is there any other feature in my itinerary that's going to be particularly costly? I'll be traveling on a backpacker's budget! I've considered the sleeper train costs, but think it'll be worth forking out the extra for a first-class private cabin, seeing as I'll be using the overnight train a lot and will need all the energy when I wake up, so that's fine.
d) Between Aswan and Dahab--what's the best mode of transport? My initial plan was to leave for Dahab from Aswan, but I'm not sure if that's entirely practical. Any suggestions?
e) A "1-day" overnight pass to Petra (the one costing 50JD)--what does that mean, exactly? Do I have 24 hours in the park, or do I have to arrive at night on Day 1 to be able to spend the next day in the Park, or...?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Durban - where to stay for one night
- 2 Where to stay in Masai Mara and best side trip?
- 3 Single traveler
- 4 Tanzania Great Migration, when to go
- 5 Where to stay in the Masai Mara?
- 6 Bus / minibus J'burg - Lesotho
- 7 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains
- 8 6 nights in Masai Mara or Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru?
- 9 Morocco Highlights
- 10 Uganda Trip Report
- 11 Money in Uganda
- 12 Active Family's First Trip to Africa - South Africa or Botswana
- 13 VISA for Mozambique
- 14 15 days Morocco Itinerary Help please
- 15 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 16 Cape Verdean Esqudos
- 17 Royal Air Maroc Dreamliner JFK-CMN and maybe connect to RAK
- 18 Traditional music + dance in South Africa?
- 19 Best African Safari
- 20 December Serengeti Itinerary
- 21 Wildbeest migration tour operator
- 22 beach visit after safari
- 23 Petra Wadi Rum
- 24 Questions on Israel/Jordan Border Crossings and Jordan Travel. Need Help!
- 25 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
11 day-ish Egypt itinerary--need comments and suggestions!