I'm fiddling with the idea of visiting Egypt next summer with a side trip to Petra, Jordan. I have only about 10-12 days, so am trying to decide what might be the best way to see the best of Egypt without overdoing it.
I will most likely be flying in from Nice to Cairo, and assuming that takes half a day, below is my proposed itinerary (at least in terms of the places I would like to visit--I'm not sure about intercity transport yet!):
Day 1 (Travel day): Arrive in Cairo. Take train to Alexandria, sleep in Alexandria.
Day 2 (Alexandria): Alexandria day.
Day 3 (Cairo): Early train to Cairo. Explore city/museum.
Day 4 (Cairo): Giza Pyramids, Sphinx.
Day 5 (Cairo): Other Cairo? At night, take Sleeper Train from Giza to Luxor.
Day 6 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 7 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 8 (Aswan): Train to Aswan.
*Day 9 (Aswan): Day trip to Abu Simbel.
*Day 10 (Aswan): Day trip to Kom Ombo.
Day 11 (Amman): Fly into Amman. Leave for Petra, sleep in the Park--price?!
Day 12 (Petra): Explore etc. Leave for Amman by noon, explore the rest of Amman.
Day 13 (Amman): Fly back home!
a) Main question is if people think this is a manageable itinerary? I would be happier if this was an 11-day itinerary, so any suggestions as to which days I can cut out would be appreciated. Should I do one day less in Cairo? Or cut out Alexandria?
b) If I arrive in Cairo at 1am, would it be safe/easy to head to my accommodation in the city late at night?
c) Aside from Petra, is there any other feature in my itinerary that's going to be particularly costly? I'll be traveling on a backpacker's budget! I've considered the sleeper train costs, but think it'll be worth forking out the extra for a first-class private cabin, seeing as I'll be using the overnight train a lot and will need all the energy when I wake up, so that's fine.
d) Between Aswan and Dahab--what's the best mode of transport? My initial plan was to leave for Dahab from Aswan, but I'm not sure if that's entirely practical. Any suggestions?
e) A "1-day" overnight pass to Petra (the one costing 50JD)--what does that mean, exactly? Do I have 24 hours in the park, or do I have to arrive at night on Day 1 to be able to spend the next day in the Park, or...?
11 day-ish Egypt itinerary--need comments and suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Side trip from Kigali Rwanda
- 2 First trip to Africa in December-January
- 3 Tanzania or Kenya in October
- 4 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 5 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 6 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 7 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 8 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 9 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 10 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 11 Interesting and uncommon stuff to do in Tel Aviv?
- 12 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 13 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 14 Charity begins at Home!
- 15 Sun Safaris
- 16 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 17 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 18 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 19 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 20 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 21 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 22 Tour to Morocco
- 23 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 24 Where should one seek adventure in Jerusalem?
- 25 Value for money, must eat restaurant in Tel Aviv?