I'm fiddling with the idea of visiting Egypt next summer with a side trip to Petra, Jordan. I have only about 10-12 days, so am trying to decide what might be the best way to see the best of Egypt without overdoing it.
I will most likely be flying in from Nice to Cairo, and assuming that takes half a day, below is my proposed itinerary (at least in terms of the places I would like to visit--I'm not sure about intercity transport yet!):
Day 1 (Travel day): Arrive in Cairo. Take train to Alexandria, sleep in Alexandria.
Day 2 (Alexandria): Alexandria day.
Day 3 (Cairo): Early train to Cairo. Explore city/museum.
Day 4 (Cairo): Giza Pyramids, Sphinx.
Day 5 (Cairo): Other Cairo? At night, take Sleeper Train from Giza to Luxor.
Day 6 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 7 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 8 (Aswan): Train to Aswan.
*Day 9 (Aswan): Day trip to Abu Simbel.
*Day 10 (Aswan): Day trip to Kom Ombo.
Day 11 (Amman): Fly into Amman. Leave for Petra, sleep in the Park--price?!
Day 12 (Petra): Explore etc. Leave for Amman by noon, explore the rest of Amman.
Day 13 (Amman): Fly back home!
a) Main question is if people think this is a manageable itinerary? I would be happier if this was an 11-day itinerary, so any suggestions as to which days I can cut out would be appreciated. Should I do one day less in Cairo? Or cut out Alexandria?
b) If I arrive in Cairo at 1am, would it be safe/easy to head to my accommodation in the city late at night?
c) Aside from Petra, is there any other feature in my itinerary that's going to be particularly costly? I'll be traveling on a backpacker's budget! I've considered the sleeper train costs, but think it'll be worth forking out the extra for a first-class private cabin, seeing as I'll be using the overnight train a lot and will need all the energy when I wake up, so that's fine.
d) Between Aswan and Dahab--what's the best mode of transport? My initial plan was to leave for Dahab from Aswan, but I'm not sure if that's entirely practical. Any suggestions?
e) A "1-day" overnight pass to Petra (the one costing 50JD)--what does that mean, exactly? Do I have 24 hours in the park, or do I have to arrive at night on Day 1 to be able to spend the next day in the Park, or...?
11 day-ish Egypt itinerary--need comments and suggestions!
- 1 Looking for a Petra day tour from Aqaba and driving to Aqaba?
- 2 15 days, 5 walks, 4 medinas, 3 gal of mint tea, 2 camel rides, one Morocco!
- 3 Who delivers the best one day tours?
- 4 What about money?
- 5 a week in africa
- 6 RSA: Tswalu vs Mashatu vs Phinda
- 7 South African tourist visa - applying again after rejection last time
- 8 Trip report Namibia 2011 - A dream in red and green
- 9 Trip report Namibia 2012 - Chilly desert and hot quiver trees
- 10 Accra airport
- 11 Yemen - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- 12 17 days in Israel our way
- 13 CapeTown and around......seeking restaurant advice
- 14 morocco
- 15 1st Time African Safari - Help!
- 16 Israel: excellent tour guide Gideon Abramowitz
- 17 Beyt Al Chai and places to stay in Zanzibar
- 18 Morocco . . . Rough Around the Edges
- 19 Trip extension from Cape town
- 20 Volunteer Work In Africa
- 21 Experience with Journey Beyond Travel or Sahara Services in Morocco?
- 22 how to join a Kenya safari once in country
- 23 Kenya + Ngorongoro or Serengeti?
- 24 Lets talk cell phones & plans while in Tanzania
- 25 Visit visa for South Africa