I'm fiddling with the idea of visiting Egypt next summer with a side trip to Petra, Jordan. I have only about 10-12 days, so am trying to decide what might be the best way to see the best of Egypt without overdoing it.
I will most likely be flying in from Nice to Cairo, and assuming that takes half a day, below is my proposed itinerary (at least in terms of the places I would like to visit--I'm not sure about intercity transport yet!):
Day 1 (Travel day): Arrive in Cairo. Take train to Alexandria, sleep in Alexandria.
Day 2 (Alexandria): Alexandria day.
Day 3 (Cairo): Early train to Cairo. Explore city/museum.
Day 4 (Cairo): Giza Pyramids, Sphinx.
Day 5 (Cairo): Other Cairo? At night, take Sleeper Train from Giza to Luxor.
Day 6 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 7 (Luxor): Valley of Kings, other monuments.
Day 8 (Aswan): Train to Aswan.
*Day 9 (Aswan): Day trip to Abu Simbel.
*Day 10 (Aswan): Day trip to Kom Ombo.
Day 11 (Amman): Fly into Amman. Leave for Petra, sleep in the Park--price?!
Day 12 (Petra): Explore etc. Leave for Amman by noon, explore the rest of Amman.
Day 13 (Amman): Fly back home!
a) Main question is if people think this is a manageable itinerary? I would be happier if this was an 11-day itinerary, so any suggestions as to which days I can cut out would be appreciated. Should I do one day less in Cairo? Or cut out Alexandria?
b) If I arrive in Cairo at 1am, would it be safe/easy to head to my accommodation in the city late at night?
c) Aside from Petra, is there any other feature in my itinerary that's going to be particularly costly? I'll be traveling on a backpacker's budget! I've considered the sleeper train costs, but think it'll be worth forking out the extra for a first-class private cabin, seeing as I'll be using the overnight train a lot and will need all the energy when I wake up, so that's fine.
d) Between Aswan and Dahab--what's the best mode of transport? My initial plan was to leave for Dahab from Aswan, but I'm not sure if that's entirely practical. Any suggestions?
e) A "1-day" overnight pass to Petra (the one costing 50JD)--what does that mean, exactly? Do I have 24 hours in the park, or do I have to arrive at night on Day 1 to be able to spend the next day in the Park, or...?
11 day-ish Egypt itinerary--need comments and suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Ideas about the trip.
- 2 CAMEL TREK IN MOROCCO
- 3 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 4 Staying out all day vs coming in for lunch in Botswana parks/concessions?
- 5 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 6 Draft itinerary - Portugal, Spain, Morocco
- 7 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 8 Oman - moderate priced hotel near souks
- 9 Taxi - Casablanca Airport to El Jdidh
- 10 Questions about Chobe
- 11 What camera to use on safari
- 12 Ethiopian Air - Horrible
- 13 Botswana vs Namibia in May
- 14 Discover Namibia Tours & Safaris - Gemma Dry
- 15 FOREX Nairobi airport
- 16 To go to Israel or not?
- 17 Bidair at JNB
- 18 Saw the Big 5 in one day in the Mara last week!
- 19 Trip report/blog - South Africa honeymoon
- 20 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 21 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 22 Eastern Cape Lodges
- 23 Best Month for Experiencing The Great Migration
- 24 Dubai > Oman?
- 25 Dubai > Seychelles hop