Search

capilano bridge - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
capilano bridge - worth it?

Hi,

Ill be in Vancouver this Friday for a few days, and am wondering if Capilano Bridge is worth seeing? Ive read on other forums that the entrance fee is $26 per person, and many have recommended visitng Lynn Canyon instead.

Your advise and experience is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Hi, I've been on it... and while it is, uhhhh, "unique", I think someone would do better to spend that money toward a ticket up to Grousse Mountain.

You'll be walking across and invariably some dumb kid will think it funny to shake the bridge even more than it shakes already. You can wait until October to get that kind of a jolt at a haunted house - no need to pay so much for it in July.

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM

If you want the experience of walking on the bridge over a canyon go to Lynn Canyon. Same feeling just not as touisty. As Northwest Male says - put your money towards something else like Grouse Mountain. In Vancouver if you have a car and want a wonderful view of the city and harbour and inlet drive up Burnaby mountain. The park and lookout are past Simon Fraser University.

By the way I was one of those dumb kids 40 plus years ago shaking the bridge!!!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM

<b>No No No</b> <u>a thousand times</u> <b>No!</b>
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:27 PM

It depends where you're from. If you live somewhere where you have access to plenty of dramatic gorges, don't bother. When I did the Capilano Bridge, I was living in Melbourne, which is as flat as buggery, so I found the cost of entry well worth the money. If memory serves, the rapids beneath the Capilano were more spectacular than those beneath Lynn Canyon - though this may have been due to how full the rivers were at the time of those visits. I'll defer to a Vancouver local on that one.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Lynn Canyon gives you the same experience as Capilano. It is fun to just walk across the swinging bridge and a lot of people don't care about the water underneath they are just happy to get from one side to the other! I say save your money for something else and go to Lynn Canyon
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM

What about that new &quot;Tree House Adventure&quot; they have there now? What's that? Would it make it more worthwhile?
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:47 AM

Okay, I'll wade in...I have been to both (tho not recently) and used to live in North Vancouver...usually I am definitely with the &quot;just go to Lynn Canyon&quot; camp.

However, I was recently in Vancouver for a wedding and the bridal party organized a visit to Capilano Bridge for their visiting friends &amp; family. Given the steep charge (and that I'd been there several times in the past), I decided not to join them.

The group came back raving about what a wonderful experience it was. The tree top things were great they said, and the kids and adults in the group, loved it. Even a &quot;frugal&quot; relative of mine exclaimed it was worth it!

Keep in mind that if your group requires lots of services (large gift shop, food, etc.) then you would definitely be better served by Capilano. If you like a more &quot;natural&quot; experience, I would suggest Lynn Canyon's suspension bridge. Something for everyone I guess...

Enjoy-la!