Montreal--unusual museums, markets etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning my almost annual trip to Montreal and I'd love to find some new haunts.
Here's what I 've done many times and most enjoyed:
Museums: especially Pointe a Calliere, McCord, architecture museum.
Markets: Jean Talon is my favorite, Atwater was ok.
Walked up and down St Denis looking at housewares stores and eating at casual restaurants
Old Port area: pretty much only when a special festival is on .
So what lesser known art/architecture/foodie places are within easy car or Metro access of downtown? I've read about the Economusee system at http://www.economusees.com/
but can't figure out if these are really set up for visitors or whether I'd end up going into some storefront or workshop and finding someone at work.
Any ideas?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:28 PM

The Silophone was broke when we were ther in July 05, but it might be fixed now. Old port frontage walk by 1st lock. http://www.beconnected.org/feature1.html
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:33 AM

re: economusées; the 3 Montreal stores would have people working but they are storefronts basically;
Calico House is in a pretty village in the suburbs, 20 minutes from montreal, a lakefront area, they sell quilting supplies and give classes, I've never seen anyone working there in the store part.

St Paul street between st. laurent and st sulpice is a wonderful gallery showcase of quebec artists; there are a few new shops also, a designer clothes boutique and a home decor place.

Mt Royal metro station brings you at a spot in the city where you can stroll on st. denis or st laurent or mt royal avenue and discover cafes, shops, etc..

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:10 AM

Hi! There is also the Château Ramsay that is really nice. http://www.chateauramezay.qc.ca/index2.htmIn Old Montreal, there is "Olive and Gourmando" on St-Paul... DELICIOUS sandwiches and home-made brownies and pastries (351, rue Saint-Paul Ouest)

Also, a stroll in Parc Lafontaine in a must. Make sure to go near the South East entrance to see Italian men playing "pétanque" while drinking home-made wine! A great show.
Also, if you know Jean-Talon market area, no not miss "Café Italia" on St-Laurent (best coffee in town), and Petit Alep,on Jean-Talon (great ethnic food at a cheap price).

If you want to take your car for a little spin, I suggest Ste-Anne de Bellevue or Pointe-du-Moulin at Île Perrot for a picnic (about a 30 min. drive). During summer, people make bread, flour and jams the 19th century way. http://www.pointedumoulin.com/accueil.htm

Have a nice trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Wow, you've already seen more of Montreal than most. Have you been up on the northwest side of the island? There is a nice shopping and dining street, I believe it's Rue Fleury. There's a very good French Cafe there, I think not far from Papineau. Also along the river, there is a park with an old mill you can tour, and some very nice walking and biking paths along the river. Sorry I can't be more specific, I haven't been there in a few years. Pick up a copy of 'Romantic Days and Nights in Montreal' for lots of off the beaten track ideas.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

I'm already adding many of your suggestions to my itinerary--thanks!

I am especially interested in different walkable neighborhoods and small unsung or unusual museums.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:43 AM

Alex,

Have you been to any of the following:

Marc-Aurèle Fortin Museum 118 St-Pierre in Old Montreal

Contemporary Art Museum Ste-Catherine at Jeanne-Mance (Place des Arts)

Stewart Museum on Ile Ste-Hélène?

JQ
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

JQ,
1)yes, once
2) yes--many times!
3)no, I don't think so
Good ideas!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:25 AM

I forgot to mention the Redfern Museum on the McGill campus. This is a very victorian feeling natural history museum, but check the hours it's open to the public.