Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do with 3 weeks and 2 young children in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Year!
OK, so here is our situation...
We have about 3 weeks to spend in Italy in early to mid-March. We have a 3 year old and a 9 month old (she'll be 9 months in March).
My husband in self-employed and needs to be able to work a few hours in the late afternoons, so we are looking into apartments with internet or he may be able to get his work done at an internet cafe.
We really can go anywhere, but here is my current plan:
1st 2 weeks in Rome
last week - ?? not sure yet, again need internet access. Even considering flying Ryan Air to Paris and flying home from there.
So here are my questions:
1. Is 2 weeks too long in Rome with such young kids? I've read so many posts here that say Rome is not good for little ones, but yet if I have 2 weeks I'm in no hurry to see everything. Just want to experience the city with the girls. I'll be alone with them in the afternoons, is it safe for just me and them around town? I figure the baby will mostly be in a backpack or sling, 3 year old maybe stroller, or hold my hand tightly!
2. Any other suggestions for our last week? I was also thinking Florence and daytripping into Tuscany.
3. Lastly, any thought as to what part of Rome we should stay? I've gotten quotes from lots of places all around town. The last time I was in Rome I was 25 and in a hostel...so I don't remember much! Is it better right in the center, or should we consider the suburbs (is there such a thing) with the kids and take public transport into the city.

With 3 weeks and 2 little kids...what would you recommend? Any other place we should consider?
Many thanks!!!!!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 07:27 PM

Not to answer all your questions, but I wanted to mention 1 thing. We were in Italy when our kids were 3 and 5 years old. We went to a great park with them based on the Pinocchio story. It was called something like Parco di Pinoccio. It was part sculpture garden and part playground. We all loved it. In general, we all liked visiting different playgrounds in Europe - the rides are so different from the US - I still remember one park that had a merry go round with little bicycles attached - so the kids felt very grownup riding the bicycles around and around in circles. Now that my kids are older, those are some of my fondest memories of travel. I'd recommend an apartment with washer and dryer (we found it difficult to do laundry in Italy). We also stayed at a villa in Tuscany that had a pool, where we spent may happy afternoons when the kids were little (probably not relevant in March). From there, we daytripped into Florence. Good luck and have fun!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM
jgg

First things first. Go out and buy "Italy with Kids" by Barbara Pape & Michael Calabrese. Read it cover to cover and then you may have a better idea of how you would like to spend your 3 weeks in Italy.

Second, check out the website www.kidseurope.com (it is mostly about Italy). You may also want to get the Italy Discovery Journal on their website. Your 3 year old will not be able to do the things on her own, but you should find many fun activities and things for you to look for together.

Third, go on slowtalk.com (the talk forum for Slow Travel.com) and look up any posts from Grinisa (she sometimes posts on Fodors as well). She has travelled a lot to Italy with her two young girls, and has some trip reports and a lot of helpful advice.

We were in Italy last March with our two kids (son 9 and daughter 12 at the time), we had a great trip. It was our first trip to Europe for all of us, and I wished we had started travelling with them sooner. Have fun!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 08:06 PM
jgg

One more thing. Also get Fodor's "Around Rome with Kid's: 68 Great Things to do Together".
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 08:35 PM

Great suggestions jgg. Very clear and concise. It looks like we use similar methods of planning. On our latest trip to Italy 2 years ago, we got the Italy Discovery Journal for Kids and found it to be fun reading and discussing. And we also used some of Grinisa's recommendations on this forum.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 09:57 PM

Hi AngiePM: Rome is just fine for little kids. I have been traveling there with my little one since before she was 2 (she is now 5). As you have 2 kids, I would definitely recommend investing in those light-weight strollers (sold at Target, Walmart, etc) that make it easier to maneuver up and down hills, through piazzas, on/off busses, etc. It's a lot of walking to just hold your little one's hand (tiring for both of you!). I would keep your 9 month old in a Baby Bjorn carrier on you, and push your 3 year old in the stroller. (Granted she will want to get out and look around - as mine did - but they are generally more containable when in stroller!)

I've taken my daugher to the Zoo in Rome, located in the Villa Borghese Park. It was 8 euros (last year) and they had a play park as well for kids to run around (slide, swings, etc). I don't want to over-rate the place, but it was nice and something to do for the afternoon. The Spanish Steps is a fun place to see - if anything looking up at all those steps with a pretty fountain at the base below makes for a lot of nice photos. Also, Trevi Fountain was nice to see (my little one kept putting her hands in the water and splashing). The area around the Colisseum has those Roman guards and caesars dressed up, so it is fun for kids to look at those guys with all their gear on. Alongside the Tiber River is a lovely walkway to stroll along that makes for a nice outing. There are even boats that cruise the Tiber that you could get on for a cruise of the river. If you are feeling particularly adventurous, you could take your daughters out to Ostia Antica (accessible via public transport metro) for a walk around the ancient grounds and also bring along a picnice. At least, there are more open spaces to run around and be free -- without traffic blaring about.

Re: places to stay in Rome, I particularly like the Campo dei Fiori area in Rome. It is central in Rome, within walking distance to the Roman ruins, Pantheon, etc. Plus it's convenient location near the Corso Vittorio Emanuele Blvd make it easy to shop, catch a bus, get McDonald's for the kids, etc. I've stayed at both the Hotel Campo dei Fiori (daily breakfast included in the rate) and Albergo della Lunetta and liked them both. The Campo area has a morning market that has been around since the Middle Ages. They sell all kinds of fruits, vegetables, pasta, etc. even including childrens' clothes, shoes, etc. I bought quite a bit of stuff there at reasonable prices. The area is lively at night so no problem if your kids get noisy/fussy as there are strolling musicians, bands playing around the cafes circling the perimeter of the Campo area.

Italy is wonderful for kids, just about anywhere you go is magical. Have a great time!

travelgirl2: The place you went to is indeed Parco di Pinocchio in Collodi. I went there last year too. It was a lot of fun and worth the trip.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice!
Some of the more economical places I'm finding are in an area called Prati (near Vatican) and Monteverde (near Trastavere).
I know they are further from the center, but since we'll have 2 weeks, I'm wondering of that would be as important?
Any thoughs on these neighborhoods?
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM

Italy with Kids really refers to older children. I know, because I bought it before my trip with my then 1.5 year old and four year old. We spent a week in Verona and a week in Tuscany. We really loved Verona, and it would be a good base to explore Northern Italy. Venice is really not good for kids as young as yours unless you can totally do without a stroller for a full day (my back can't take it). You can read our trip report at www.markandmonica.com/Travel/italy.htm I think Italy is great with kids if you're not hung up on seeing all the museums, etc. There are tons of playgrounds and you meet the locals that way. We also really super duper liked Lucca now that I think about it. They've got a carousel in the playground outside the city walls that the kids just loved. My kids must be jaded with respect to amusement parks because Pinnochio Park didn't do it for them. Of course, it might have been better if they were actually familiar with the Pinnochio story!