Ladies- Travel Handbags?

Search

Ladies- Travel Handbags?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies- Travel Handbags?

I'm looking at the following purses and wonder if any of you have used either of these styles,

This one has a steel cable through the strap and I like that idea. http://tinyurl.com/5wb2r

But this one is much better looking. ;-)
http://tinyurl.com/4bp9s

Any input would be appreciated. I don't want to use a backpack, I figure it would be too easy for someone to take something out of one without me knowing.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:09 PM

I like the second one better. When I travel, I look for a bag with long enough straps to fit across my body, leaving my hands free. I also like a bit of extra room to stash that guide book, camera and a few granola bars (for the kinder!). It should not be bulky nor hot against my body, but should be fashionable.
Cheers,
Jan
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM

I looked at both bags and I think each one is good for different reasons. I take a larger purse when I am going to be out all day with a guidebook, etc.

If I am going out w/o the guidebook or much else I take a purse like the first one with me. It is so much lighter that you will enjoy it much more.

For the last few years I have traveled with one large and one small slim handbag.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I was also thinking the second one would fit a guidebook nicely. It never occurred to me to get both, but that kind of makes sense too. I'll have to see if the budget allows that!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also usually take two. One is 8"x8"x1" leather with two zipper compartments that fits snug to my body and holds simply passport, money, tissue, sunglasses, lipstick. Then I also take a normal large leather pocketbook with a thick strap and plenty of room. Any kind of large tote works for me, I've never bought a specific "travel" handbag but keep traveling in mind any time I shop.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the steel cable. I know the concept is that the strap can't be cut, but if someone is that determined to snatch your bag, you might rather let it go than be pulled down the street with it (as is said with the steel cable if someone on a scooter tried to grab it for example).
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:19 AM

QVC sells a couple of travel handbags which I have used, going across the body, in two different sizes and I know after I had mine on a European trip, several friends I had met got them when they returned home, for future trips. And they just recently came out with the slightly larger one and one of my daughters also got that one. You might look into it, very convenient, nice looking and feel very safe. Just put in qvc.com and look either in the luggage or accessories or travel handbags. Good luck. Halfpint
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:33 AM

I just got the large travel shoulder bag from QVC. The brand name is Travelon if you want to do a search on the QVC site. I'll be taking on my trip to London and Paris next week.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Just wanted to say this info is most helpful to me, as well. I've also been in the market for a large travel bag for our trip to Rome next month. Any other ideas/suggestions are more than welcomed!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM

I am quite sure you would like either of these bags. I use the smaller one as I am small and can put my digital camera in it along with whatever. Wouldn't travel without it. Look at qvc.com halfpint Happy traveling
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:51 AM

You may laugh all you want, but I pick a travel bag/purse as carefully as I'd pick a pair of walking shoes.

For me it must have 2 outside pockets (on each side), one to my body must have a zipper. I also like it roomy for a small book or computer print-outs, a pair of glasses, a snack bar, a small water bottle, a camera. I take this bag few times on weekend outings, and if it's convenient to use, I save it for travels only.

I have such a purse with a matching pair of walking shoes, a jacket and a windbreaker. Switzerland, here I come
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Oh, and it must have a long strap to wear it across my body so my hands are free.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I have the one from QVC and I love it. I wear it across my body and under my coat and carry a tote bag on the outside with all my "junk". Water, travel guide, a few euros, etc.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Interesting topic! I'm also looking for a daytime travel bag (I use a slimmer, smaller bag for evening dinners), and my personal choice would be the second one. It just looks like it would keep everything I take along in order. But I will check out the QVC site as well.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Like shoes, I never take a brand new pocketbook on a trip (learned the hard way)...

When choosing something new, allow some time to "wear it" around at home and get used to it. Make sure there aren't any problems (i.e., my sister's "healthy back bag" hurt her back!, and one expensive carry-on tote I took had straps that kept falling off my shoulders!!).
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:24 AM

I've never bought a bag specifically for travel. When I went to Italy last year, I took a "bucket" shaped bag. It had a zippered compartment in the centre for my camera/wallet/passport etc. and was open on either side so that I could put water, guidebook etc. It had a strap long enough to go on my shoulder, and short enough that I could carry it w/o it dragging on the ground. I didn't have any problems, felt perfectly safe and I was travelling alone.

For past trips, I've also used a regular purse with a zipper - I like smaller bags that fit over my shoulder, with the purse kind of tucked under my arm, zipper to the front. Big enough to fit wallet/passport, my very small camera, and other small incidentals (ie. lip balm)
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Other issues to consider:

Microfiber is lighter than leather

I like a place for a small water bottle. Doubles as an umbrella holder in cooler weather

You should carry your passport/travel documents/credit and debit cards underneath your clothing in a security pocket. I got a silk one, cooler in the summer.

You should be able to have both hands free if needed.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:31 PM
jgg

I asked a similar question a month or so ago on the Italy boards entitled "What type of purse do you carry when sightseeing?" I received a lot of good advice suggest you read through that thread. (sorry I don't know how to just post it here so you will have to search)

I have since purchased the Coach Signature soft slim duffle. The handle can be short so you just sling it on your shoulder or long so you can wear it across your body. I have been using it since I bought it, preparing for our trip to Italy next month. Just came back from 5 days in Mexico really loved it for the travelling!!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM

I like the second one too. In fact I would consider buying the large one but the copy says the small is perfectly proportioned for a petite woman..so now i am confused.

Thanks for posting this.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 03:14 PM

I have used the microfiber security purse from Magellan's for 3 years now. I originally bought it for a trip to Prague, but I found a matching pair of very comfortable shoes from SAS, so now I use it all summer. I like to have my hands free. Also, I got some kind of stain on the microfiber, and it washed off completely - spotwashing with detergent, and just rinsing the affected area. You can attach a carbiniere to the strap, and carry all kinds of extra stuff that way: glasses case, a bottle of Purel, etc.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 03:16 PM

I find any kind of leather handbag too heavy for long day use! If you go for either of those get the microfiber.

Having a darling husband who is into "leather"!...not what you think!!.. I have more wonderful , expensive handbags than msot!

I found a great bag, in a fabric like Le sportsac..2 big zipper compartments, with an interior zipper , a long zipper compartment on the back side and 2 zipped compartments on the front. Everyting I could possibly want to carry fits..it weighs less than 2 ounces , has a heavy webbed strap and is adjustable for across the chest carrying.

Now the "tacky" part! I got it at Target! And after I met 3 friends in Europe last trip , they all wanted one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -