Using RCI properties

Search

Using RCI properties

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using RCI properties

Has anyone on this board ever stayed at an RCI property, do you belong, what has your experience been, etc? Thx
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:19 AM

My parents belong to both RCI and Interval International. They have been members for over 10 years and will finally try to sell their memberships.

Overall, the experiences have been just "okay." We've enjoyed staying at them in Orlando, FL, and in Bethel, Maine, for week-long trips when having a kitchen or other facility has been necessary.

We used one week in the Algarve (Portugal) over New Year's 2001, and that was also a good experience. Our unit was huge (2 BR, 2 BA) with a fantastic terrace but crummy view and nothing really within walking distance.

Properties are usually not in the center of activity, and I would never stay in a property that was not rated as a Gold Crown resort.

Booking is also tricky and very competitive, and you don't always get availability for the time periods you would like. Unless you are flexible with your travel dates, you could have difficulty.

There have been many many weeks that we have not used, and therefore have been wasted. My family's experience has been okay, but in the end we've all found that it's just not worth it!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having just last week suffered thru a Cendant/Fairfield Resort time share presentation, BeanWeb24's comments hit the mark. We didn't buy, but the hard sell was definitely on. All of their European RCI properties were either on the beach or in the mountains. It was a remarkably inept sales presentation, not
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

We're actually members of Starwood having just purchased mainly for the exchange privilege. I'm guessing that the RCI network requires full weeks whereas SVN doesn't if you book with less than 90 days before arrival. Are we too late to book now for a week in August in Maine or North Carolina?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:17 AM

cmeyer - you are on the Europe board. better to post your question about Maine and North Carolina over on teh United States forum.

But FYI I have traded w/ RCI many, Many times over the last 25 years - mostly for the UK but also in Williamsburgh, the Oregon Coast, the Big Island, etc and have always - without exception - gotten exactly waht I expected and often much better. But I do a LOT of research and request specific properties. Popular locales -- like London (or Maine in August) usually require a very long lead time . . . . . .
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:17 AM

cmeyer - you are on the Europe board. better to post your question about Maine and North Carolina over on teh United States forum.

But FYI I have traded w/ RCI many, MANY times over the last 25 years - mostly for the UK but also in Williamsburgh, the Oregon Coast, the Big Island, etc and have always - without exception - gotten exactly what I expected and often much better. But I do a LOT of research and request specific properties. Popular locales -- like London (or Maine in August) usually require a VERY long lead time . . . . . .
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:19 AM

sorry about the double post - have been having some problems w/ the site today.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

After talking with RCI and with Starwood, I guess my biggest concern is that if we want to travel over a specific timeframe like an anniversary and give them a lot (minimum of 4 is what i was told) of locations and they don't come up with a match, they will either extend the search for another year or we just lose the week. I don't know how competitive Budapest would be in August but I sure can't wait until the last minute to book airfare. Needless to say, we feel that SVN really oversold their capabilites and ease of exchange.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:03 PM

<i>&quot;we feel that SVN really oversold their capabilites and ease of exchange.&quot;</i>

I think that's probably the first thing timeshare salespeople learn in timeshare school. We've owned timeshare since 1997 and so far we have never &quot;wasted&quot; a week. We use our Allen House (London) week all the time and I have been renting our other week (caribbean) the past several years. RCI is basically an exchange company - you deposit your week (or points) and try to get another resort of your choosing (based on availability - a VERY key factor to remember!)
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I have been a member with RCI for 11 years. The thing with RCI is that you really have to plan way ahead and get your request in as early as possible. This may or may not get you what you want! I don't know about Budapest, but many of the European exchanges, especially France and Italy, are extremely difficult to get into, even with a long lead time. The properties are small and have a small number of units available for time share exchange. I had searches in for Italy, giving them over a dozen places to choose from, for over three years and never got an exchange. I would suspect Budapest would be similar, although I don't have experience trying for one there, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's too late to get Maine or North Carolina for this August.

On the other hand, we have exchanged into Williamsburg, Florida, Mexico and Sedona with very good results because I do research, especially with the TUG website (Time Share Users Group) and read reviews of people who have actually stayed at the properties that interest me. We also were successful in getting one in England, but had to cancel it because our plans changed.

Another thing that affects how successful you will be in getting the exchange you want is when you deposit the week you own with RCI. If, for instance, you know you can't use your week in 2005 and deposit it with RCI early in 2004 or sooner, you will have a lot more pull in getting an exchange than you would have if you deposit it with RCI sometime in 2005. The type of property you have also affects your exchange power.