Search

Norway trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:59 AM
MMT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway trip report

My husband and I just returned from 2 weeks in Norway. The first week was in Oslo as my husband was attending a conference. I would recommend on the things to do list for Oslo
The Botanical Gardens, Vigland Sculpture park, The Folk and Viking museums on Bygody Peninsula
the Resistance Museum at Akerhaus and a tour of the Ciy Hall..the outside is not indicative of the wonders inside
We did the train to Myrdal, transferred to the Flam train and then boarded the High Speed cat for the trip on the Sonjefjord to Bergen. It was long but was wonderful( time prevented us doing a stop). Spectacular scenery. We loved Bergen..ate at a wonderful restaurant Smauet, took a double decker bus tour of the city and wandered the Bryggen area and the Fish Market.
We flew then to Kirkenes and boarded the NordNorge for the southbound Hurtigruten cruise. It was wonderful, great scenery, good weather most of the time, experienced the midnight sun and crossed the Arctic circle.
The only excursion we took was to hear the concert at the Arctic Cathedral in Tromso. ( very enjoyable).We got out at most stops and wandered the area.
Food was good and the facilities aboard were great. We felt one way was the best..think the return trip would be scenic overdose.
I would be happy to answer any questions anyone would have .

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Hi MMT,
Your trip sounded great! We're leaving next week for Scandanavia. Would appreciate any info. on the Oslo/Myrdal and Flam train rides. We have reservations for the 8:00 train and booked Komfort level. Any particular side to sit on for the Flam part? How was the weather? I've checked weather.com and it seems like it never stops raining, but that was the case when I checked Edinburgh last year and it was okay.Welcome home!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:56 AM
MMT
Original Poster

Hello Andeesue
You will have a great time.
Our seats were on the right side of the OSLO MYRDAL train as well as the Flam section..We felt they were good seats..We did not feel we missed anything...scenery is such there are good views on both sides. I think Komfort may mean 1st class ( it was all booked out when we tried) Late June we had unseasonable cool weather in OSLO and beautiful weather in Bergen ( we were told it always rains in Bergen..we were lucky)
Happy travels!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:50 AM
adoptionisfab

Thanks I found it! Some very good information thanks for sharing!

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Most of the Myrdal-Flam ride is on the east side of the valley. Hence beeing seated left will give you a better view. But don't mind, The train will not bee packed this time of the year, and even if it was, moving from left to right windows will be no problem.
Happy travel!
Bjorn, Oslo
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM

PS: A great report, MMT. And very nice to see that the Botanical Gardens close to the Munch Museum was at the top of your Oslo list.
In fact I was raised there. My father was a botanic, and we plus 4 other families lived in the main 1700 building in the center of the garden. Nowadays the house only houses a cafe and offices.
Bjorn, Oslo