What to pack for Maui in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guy and I are taking our first trip to Maui in January. While this is months away, we are already figuring out how to pack to avoid massive baggage fees. From my reading, it seems the weather will still be lovely. Of course, we plan on snorkeling and swimming and we hope to go hiking or rapelling while we are there.So, we have hiking boots and other things to do those activities. What kind of clothing is appropriate for this time of year? Will we need summer and winter clothes or will we be ok with shorts, flip flops and t's for most of the time?
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Winter clothes?? This is Hawaii - the tropics !!!!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM

The only place we've been cold in Hawaii was Volcano on the Big Island, and that was in the evenings. I would mostly pack summer clothes, a couple of pairs of pants and long sleeved shirts, a sweater/sweatshirt, swimming items, a rain jacket just in case (also can be used as windbreaker). Wear flip flops (called slippers there), and you'll be right in with the locals.
The water is cool in the winter and I chill easily, so I like to snorkel with a wetsuit, or at least a caprilene shirt, though my husband is fine in just the swimsuit.
I have yet to take hiking boots to Hawaii, and we've done some decent trails. For our family, tennis shoes or Tevas/Keens have done fine, take up less room, and get more use than boots. Others may disagree with me on this though.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM

When I go to Maui, I just pack a backpack and it will last one week. Here is what I do.

1. I make sure I have a common "color" for the entire week. That way, I can mix and match my clothes and look great. It also ensures that I will be okay with ONE pair of flip flops for the entire week and I'll always match. Shoes take up a lot of room, so I always bring (at the most) two pairs of shoes. For you, I guess that would be your hiking boots and flip flops.

2. Be okay with washing your clothes while you are there. It will save a lot of room in your suitcase.

With those two things in mind, here is what I pack.

2 pairs of shorts
2 tank tops
2 'nicer' tops that go with the shorts
2 dresses that do not need ironing
1 long sleeve sweater (thin)
2 bathing suits
1 cover up for the beach/pool
4 pairs of undies
2 bras
1 pair of flip flops

THAT IS IT! and you can wash as the week progresses. TRUST ME, this is all you need! Hawaii has wonderful weather so no worries about getting cold unless you are going to watch the sunrise. If that is the case, then you need to really bundle up. It gets COLD.

Since you are going hiking, then I would also bring ONE pair of pants, 2 pairs of socks, and ONE t-shirt. You might need a long sleeve top, but make it thin.

Finally, choose similar colors. I decided to go with neutral colors: browns, army green, and black. The color of my flip flops were gold, so they matched with EVERYTHING, including my bathing suit and dresses ( i brought a black dress and a brown strapless dress). Of course, gold and silver sandals/flip flops go with practically everything.

I hope this helps
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Summer clothes!!! The only time you *might* be cool is if you go up Haleakala or are out on the water on a boat or something. You absolutely do NOT need winter clothes!!! Perhaps you need jeans to cover up for rapelling? And a lightweight jacket you can wear over on the plane.

But generally speaking shorts, flip flops and t's are all you need. I can travel for a week to Hawaii in a gym bag.

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Well this is great news! We are from Phoenix, so flip flops and shorts are plentiful! We rented a condo and they have a washing machine and dryer on the premises. Is anything there really dressy? We are pretty casual people.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM

The only time I have ever dressed up in Hawaii (and that term is relative) is for dinner at an up- scale restaurant. And then it was a sun dress or a long skirt and nice top or linen capris and a T. Otherwise it's shorts and T's or a swimming suit.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:43 AM

I am a Hawaii resident so it cracks me up when I see tourists arrive here with several pieces of luggage each. What are they packing?

All you need here are slippers (flip-flops), T-shirts, a pair of shorts, long pants (jeans) and swim trunks. For "dressy" occasions, an Aloha shirt (Hawaiian shirt) is fine. (If you wear anything more than that, you are advertising you are a tourist.)

(Residents will often eat at nice restaurants dressed in jeans or long pants, Aloha shirt and flip-flops.)

Enjoy your stay. Aloha!

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:33 AM
cd

I also pack where all pieces can be worn together usually black and tans. We will be there in Feb and I was planning to also bring water shoes. DH and I walk the shorelines a lot. Are water shoes needed or are all shorelines soft sand?
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Maybe its because we are Floridians and get cold easily, but . . .
I packed everyone in my family a fleece sweatshirt for our trip in August!!! I am was sooo glad!!
We wore them to the Haleakala summit - it was 47 degrees at about 11 am!!
We wore them at night in Volcano, I was very cold! They also made great blankets for the plane ride and soft seating surfaces for watching the lava flow at night on the BI.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:17 AM

If you are worried about over-packing, plan on renting all of your snorkeling equipment (including a caprilene/wetsuit top, if you want one) from a local dive shop. Rentals are very cheap and the advice offered by the shops is priceless.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wear your heaviest items on the plane (hiking boots, jacket, jeans, etc.)
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Wearing your heavy stuff on the plane means that you will have to take it all off for the security check. Something to think about.

Just better put it in your checked luggage and be comfortable on arrival.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:35 AM

It snowed on Haleakala last winter, in case you're planning on going up.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 02:20 PM

You don't say how long you are staying. We've been going to Hawai'i since 1990. We've trimmed down our luggage immensely since we first started. We usually will wear long pants of some type and a long sleeve shirt on the plane and that's all. Luggage will contain sandals/slippahs and couple pair of tshirts and shorts. We long ago decided if we had to dress up for a restaurant, we didn't need to go. There are plenty places that have no dress code. I would suggest that for your heavy clothing/boots, to UPS them to your hotel/condo three or four days before you leave home. The stuff will beat you or it will arrive on your first day. Then ship it back the last day on island. If you call the hotel beforehand they'll hold your package.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM

rex, our first trip we brought everything! Jacket and formal dress in case etc......

One of our last trips we carried on for a 2 week stay! Howdat for downsizing! Wear long pants, hiking shoes or sneakers and sweater, pack the rest.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM

I just returned from the Big Island and want to second anyone who has suggested you pack light. I went for a wedding and though I am a reasonably seasoned traveller and don't usually fall prey to overpacking, I grossly overpacked for this trip. I suppose it was all of the different festivities we were attending or maybe anxiety about taking small children so far..... But I felt excessive and my bags were a burden--physically and mentally. In fact, if you have to connect to get to your island some airlines won't check your bags all the way (read: Continental and Go! Airlines) and you'll have to claim and recheck your bags. We missed our connection because of this, which wound up being a nightmare.

I would suggest taking one lightweight sweater that you could put on over most of your nighttime clothes. You'll wind up using your swimsuit and maybe three other outfits AT THE MOST the rest of the time.

The baggage fees usually only apply to bags over 50 lbs...if you think you will reach that go back and take a few things out!!!

I do think, however, that if you plan to take a serious hike, you can never beat a good pair of hiking boots. Have fun!
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

We are going to be there for 7 days. Since we are leaving in january, we probably will be dressed a bit warm on the plane. I am so excited to go. And sad that my trip is still a few months away.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I've been to Hawaii 3 times: Oahu, Maui and The Big Island. Everything's very casual. One sweatshirt/sweater will do it. Lukcy for us, when we went up to Haleakala for sunurise - the night before someone suggested to us to take the blankets out of the hotel room with us. It worked perfectly!!!

One more recommendation: eat breakfast at Moose McGillycuddy's in Lahaina. Lots of good food - not expensive. We had birds eating off our table on the porch.