Advice please on drive from Denver to four corners

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are an English couple in our mid-sixties in reasonably good health and we want to drive (May or early June)from Denver to the four-corners via Salida (285) Gunnison (50) Montrose, Durango via Ouray, Cortez, ultimately on to Phoenix. We have read that you can suffer from high altitude sickness and that stretches of the road can be quite dangerous due to lack of barriers.
Could anyone suggest towns to over-night in between Denver and Cortez only and how long should we allocate to do this journey as our time is unlimited.
Alternatively, does anyone know of a company from say Denver that provides transport and driver to do the above journey. Please note that we are not hikers. Thanks
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:03 AM

We did this trip last Sept and had no problem with altitude sickness although we never have in the past either. I honestly did not find any of the roads to be scary or dangerous - not even the Million Dollar Hwy. Besides you'll be on the inside lane heading south. We flew into Denver and drove to Colorado Sprgs our first nite. On to Pueblo, then headed west - it was very pretty all along the river. Had lunch in Gunnison, stopped at the Black Canyon - well worth a stop. Into Montrose then south to Ouray. We stayed at the Wiesbaden Hot Springs Inn in Ouray for several days and loved it. Loved the town and loved our accomodations. Highly recommended, especially if you like soaking in hot springs. Left Ouray and headed to Mesa Verde for a few days. You must stay at the Farview Lodge in the park for the best possible experience. Don't miss Mesa Verde.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:15 AM

Sounds like you have your route pretty well planned out. Driving that route at that time of the year should not be a problem. That entire route is on good, paved mountain roads that are well maintained. Of course, a thunderstorm or freak snowstorm can make any road more treacherous, but just be more cautious, or, since you have unlimited time, bed down in some town along the way and wait for it to pass. The 2 most difficult parts about driving in the mountains are 1) underestimating the time it will take you to get from point A to point B (speeds are slower along the mountain roads), and 2) keeping your eyes on the road and off the scenery. Also...be curteous. If you are driving slow and cars begin to stack up behind you, pull over at a safe spot and let them pass. It will ease their frustration and your anxiety.

Altitude sickness is a fickle beast. It affects some people severely, and others, not at all. It's more likely to affect those during activity at higher altitudes. Since you are not hikers, I assume your activities will be of a more passive nature, and so you probably needn't worry much. But if you are....I'd suggest staying a day or 2 in Denver or Boulder to let your body acclimate to the altitude a little before you hit the mountains.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:25 AM
MaureenB

If you have the option, choose early June, just for the best chance for snow-less weather. Be aware that we can get snow in early July in the Rockies.

Cortez isn't much to see. Maybe another route to Phoenix? What about the Grand Canyon?

I've never heard of a private driver to do this trip, though.

Good luck planning your visit.
>-

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:35 AM

As was mentioned in other post, you will be on the inside laneon the Million Dollar Highway, which should help your feeling of "danger." The only slight concern might be that since you are used to driving on the other side of the road, that this might be a tad unusual for you.

May I suggest a different route to consider?

Take 70 west out of Denver to Grand Junction as your first stop. It is about a 4 hour drive.

There are some nice wineries to visit and do tastings [Two Rivers Chateau is one} and a wonderful national park that you can drive through and see sites without hiking.

Colorado National Monument has a 23 mile rim drive. It was excellent with many opportunities to hike a variety of trails if you wanted to . The formations were quite spectacular and unique. We stopped at local supermarket and got picnic fixings and had a lovely lunch overlooking the canyons of the park. I did a trip report on Grand Junction this summer, you can read it here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34852993

Next head south from Grand Junction on 50 to 550 and go to Ouray. Stay overnight and enjoy a quaint town and soak in the hot springs. There are many places to stay in Ouray. I also did a trip report on it:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34824783

There was a funky little museum in Ouray that was the old hospital & worth stopping in and looking at the unusual collection of things they have. The drive to Ouray is easy and about 2 hours from Grand Junction.

Leaving Ouray, head south on 550 into Silverton and down into Durango. This is the "Million Dollar Highway" stretch and as I said earlier, take your time and watch the road and car in front of you and you'll be fine. From Ouray to Durango, will take about 1.5 hours without stops.

Stop in Silverton to look at shops and maybe eat lunch before continuing down to Durango.

Time in Durango if you don't hike -- maybe a day to see the town. But what you really want to do is go to Mesa Verde. Plan on spending at least a day there. And yes you can stay at Farview Lodge, but Cortez is close by and has nice places to stay and eat. {I would avoid staying in Durango if $$ is a concern}

In Cortez, stop in at the Anasazi Heritage Center
http://www.cityofcortez.com/visiting.shtml

When you are ready to go to Phoenix, you can go through Four Corners if you want to go through back country or head down to Albuquerque to drive on Interstate 40 if you are in a hurry.

As far as the altitude thing goes, it doesn't bother everyone. Drink lots of water, take it easy first few days. As you won't be hiking that will help. Avoiding alcohol helps some.

Type in altitude sickness in the search box at top of page to see lots of discussion on this topic.

If I can answer anything else, feel free to email me directly.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Between Denver and Cortez. You can do in two days, but three would give you plenty of time to stop and look around.

First night in Salida or Gunnison, depending on when you start out and how fast you drive. Fairplay has some nice restaraunts if you are passing at lunch time. I don't know if Molly Moos is still open. Roads are relatively easy and not very scary to Salida. To get to Gunnison, you go over Monarch Pass and that will give you a good idea of Colorado mountain driving.

Second night at Ouray if you stop at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison (worth it) and take your time to look at the scenery along the way. Plus, Ouray is a nice town to stay in. There is a hot springs pool there. It is more of a swimming pool than sitting-and-relaxing sort of thing. But the town is nice. Roads are easy through here also.

Third day on into Cortez with a stop in Durango. Durango is the terminus for a scenic railway and if you get there when the trains are coming in/going out, there can be a lot of people about, but just wait until the train leaves and things calm down nicely.

Road between Ouray and Durango is probably the most challenging, but can be handled with care. As someone else mentioned, the driver has to concentrate on driving, not looking at the wonderful mountain scenery.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM

For the first (and probably only) time, I have to disagree with DebitNM. I think you r original route (Denver - Salida - Montrose, etc) will give you a better taste of the beauty of Colorado.

Point 1: Between Denver and Fairplay along Hwy 285 you will go over Kenosha Pass. As you crest this pass, the entirety of South Park opens up before and below you with the Mosquito and Collegiate Peaks Ranges as a backdrop.

Point 2: Shortly after going over Trout Creek Pass (Hwy 285 between Fairplay and Salida) you will head down into the Arkansas River Valley and the Collegiate Peaks will fill your windshield.

Point 3: Although not one of the prettiest mountain passes, Monarch Pass does offer you the opportunity to park and stand at the continental divide - an opportunity you don't get by going through the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70.

Point 4: There are several hot springs in the area between Beuna Vista and Salida.

Point 5: That time of year should be a great time to white-water raft the Arkansas River between Beuna Vista and Salida.

Point 6: The drive along the Blue Masa Reservoir (Hwy 50 west of Gunnison) is beautiful.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:08 PM

"For the first (and probably only) time, I have to disagree with DebitNM"

furledleader -- Wow, that is the nicest disagreement I've ever seen, thanks!

The route I suggested had a bit to do with the apprehension these folks seemed to have with driving the mountain roads.

There is an alternate route from Grand Junction towards Telluride on RT 141. The road goes through some spectacular scenery and there is little to no traffic. You could then pick up 550 again and continue to Ouray etc.

Of course, her route is a fine one as well. I guess we need some feedback from barbara to see what works for her.

Debi
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Drink lots of water and don't rush about. If you have to walk at high altitude, slow down and rest often. Use a saline nasal spray several times a day to help the sinus problems experienced by folks coming from a humid climate. When the sinus dry out, you may experience nose bleeds but will be minor. Driving in these mountains can be 'interesting'. Do NOT over use your brakes or you may experience brake over heating and resulting fade or failure, Yes, you can downshift in an automatic transmission car and is a very good idea. Just downshifting from 'D' (Drive) to the next lower gear will normally take your car out of overdrive and give you increased engine braking power. Enjoy this great area and take lots of photos.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:47 PM

PS: You can expect some mild symptoms of altitude sickness. Usually you will be sleepy for several days so do not attempt to drive too long. Get plenty of rest. More severe symptoms usually do not appear until you are above 11,000 feet. If you stop at any of the mountain passes (the usual gift shop), go slow.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Drink lots of water ALL the time you are in Colorado. Take it easy the first couple of days. Take a couple of aspirin each day.
The grandeur of the Colorado mountains will be just fine from the major highways without Fairplay, etc.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 01:46 PM

u have awhile till ur vacation....am an old injun from New Mexico and now in Texas and we do Colorado all the time....walk alot..build up the aerobics....we are low sea level like you here in the Dallas Ft Worth area, we walk for 6 weeks before we go....it helps....drink water, yeah yeah..but sample the good breweries any way all along the way....if I remember right, the first test of Colorado mountain driving will be the Vail pass heading west from Denver....a long drop to the valley below....hell, even semi trucks screw this one up....like the feller said above, set the transmition down to a lower gear....you'll have more control....it is a ride till you get to Glenwood Springs....but don't worry. it is all interstate driving, 4 lanes.....then decide how you did.....if good, you'll survive all that Colorado can throw at you....just back from Oz and driving on the other side of the road....gets getting used to......LOL ....but u'll do ok as I did.. my wife says get some kinda car like ur used to driving, but I suggest a SUV.....let us know anything we can do to help you guys....
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all the replies to my request for route info. from Denver to four corners. It has been very informative and most appreciated.