Christmas dinner in New York CIty

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very excited to be going to New York city for Christmas. I'd love some ideas on where to go for Christmas dinner. I would imagine most places will be closed.
I will be travelling on my own and eating out is the only thing I'm not crazy about when travelling alone, but I would like something special for Christmas.
Something cozy and nice. I don't want Chinese and I'm not crazy about seafood. Any ideas?

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Except for many ethnic places most restaurants that serve Christmas dinner are rather formal multi-course meals at set times. Off hand I can;t think of anyplace casuale that does it. Perhaps check with the concierge of your hotel. Or Chowhound.com.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Nytraveler. I'm assuming that restaurants with set menus for Christmas dinner would be full of families, which is not really what I'd want. I should have worded my post differently. I'm looking for someplace to have dinner on Christmas, not really "Christmas dinner". That might make it easaier to find someplace . ( I hope!)
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:15 PM

I second the chowhound suggestion!!
That or hotel dining rooms.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Where are you staying kodi? And tell us something about you (age, nationality, m or f etc.) so we have an idea of your "style."

For example, there's a rest. called the Spotted Pig which is an English rest. If you're from the UK, I'd imagine it would be a good place to be. (They've been closed for renovation but will open soon)

But realistically, I don't think there's any way getting around the fact that eating alone on Xmas is probably not ideal for anyone. In your shoes, I'd either fill the day with other things (tickets to a show or go ice skating, to a movie etc.) and not do a special meal OR, accept the fact that it won't be terrific alone but go some place terrific, perhaps in one of the hotels where there might be other tourists on their own.

If you're just looking for names of "cozy" homey restaurants, have a look at Jane, Home, Chelsea Bistro. Fraunces Tavern is a historic place downtown that's often mentioned for holiday meals.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Actually I am very excited about my trip to NYC for Christmas and I don't really mind being alone. But eating alone is my least favourite part of travelling aalone, not just because it's Christmas. (Although I think Christmas will make it a tiny bit worse.)
I'm a retired lady from Canada and I love to travel and I think going to NY will be an excellent way to spend Christmas. I've planned a very busy day, going to see the Rockettes in the afternoon and another show in the evening. But I'll have to eat between shows!!

I've taken the above advice and posted my question on chowhound. A reply there took me to www.opentable, which led me to some choices.
Osteria al Doge is open, so I will go ahead and read some reviews for it.
I'll also check out the places you have mentioned, mclaurie.

I had visions of everything being closed, as they are in the Toronto area. It's great to know there arew some choices popping up.

Fodorites always come thrugh!!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Given your schedule, realistically you should eat midtown and all of the places I mentioned are downtown.

Opentable will have many more options as time gets closer. One thought is Murals on 54 in the Warwick hotel. While I've never been there, it's geographically desirable (very near Radio City and on the way to the theater district) and it was on a suggested list last year in NY Magazine for holiday meals. The hotel was built by William Randolph Hearst and the murals in the restaurant were recently refurbished. There are some good reviews here
http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/36249800

Other ideas near Radio City are the Beacon, Cite and Cite Grill.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM

ttt
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

I've just been looking at my tickets for christmas night and the show I'm going to see is not in the theatre district. I didn't realize this. I'm going to see Stomp and it's downdown. SO,Mclaurie, I'll follow up on your great suggetions.

Aussiedreamer, have you settled on a place for Christmas dinner? I didn't spot your posts til this morning and am following them with interest. Did you find out if Rock Cafe will be open on the 25th?

Also still wondering about Osteria al Doge.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:45 AM

kodi, I haven't been to Osteria al Doge because there are other Italian restaurants in the theater district I like. It does get a decent rating for food in the Zagat guide. Rightly or wrongly, I always think of it as a tourist place. Osteria Stella is nearer Radio City and gets better reviews for about the same price.

www.osteria-stella.com

Near Stomp you will find a lot of ethnic restaurants. Probably the best Jewish deli in the city, the 2nd Ave. deli is nearby and they're sure to be open for Xmas!

But for a nice meal, some places that wouldn't be too far are Le Tableau, a nice French bistro- Lavagna, it's sister Italian, both very good. The website for Le Tableau (www.letableaunyc.com) is "under maintenance."

Lavagnanyc.com

Five Points is another very good one.

fivepointsrestaurant.com
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:14 AM

There are a lot of restaurants in the East Village, the area where you'll be at to see Stomp.

You should check with terrific restaurant a few blocks on 1st Ave. - Hearth. On a couple of occasiosn that my wife's away on business, I've dined there solo and my dining experience always gets better with their carefully prepared dishes and only-the-best ingredients.

Cacio Y Pepe is an Italian about 2 blocks away from Stomp on 2nd Avenue that also has not diappointed.

I am quite sure that finding a restaurant in that area will not be a problem, even during Christmas dy.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Hi there Kodi. I am also watching your post with interest! One place I had on my list to go to was Cibo, 767 2nd Ave. Cibonyc.com I have had an email from them that they are open and taking bookings for xmas day.
It does appear that the Rock Centre Cafe is open xmas day, but I haven't read many (if any) good reviews for xmas day service etc.

I think as we have a packed xmas eve day and evening we may just find somewhere near our hotel (Affinia Manhatten) that we can 'walk' in a the last minute. If we end up with pizza and a 'stroll' around, thats fine.

Good luck, I will keep track of your posts.
Ps' I will be the one walking around saying, "we're here-we're here"!!!!!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Mclaurie, you are SUCH a big help. Thank you so much. I will have to get cracking and check out all the wonderful recommendations. Thanks to bill_boy too. It sounds like it's a lot different than Toronto where NOTHING is open on Christmas day.

Aussie, no, I'LL be the one with the big grin on my face!!
From what I'm reading, I should have booked Radio city Music Hall for the 24th evening instead of Christmas day Afternoon. I am planning to enjoy the storefronts on Christmas Eve, but is sounds like everyone else has the same idea. I should have done it the other way around and enjoyed the storefronts Christmas afternoon. Oh well, no matter what, I'll enjoy myself.

I also agree it will be funny not to have Boxing day, but I expect to be shopping til I drop that day!
To New Yorkers: Arew there big sales that day?

Thanks again for all the recommendations. It certainly doen'st sound like I'll have a problem finding something open for my dinner on Christmas.
I remember once wanting to go out for dinner on Christmas Ever here at home, and there was absolutely nothing open except for Chinese and even so, we were the only ones in the restaurant.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM

>>>>>>>It sounds like it's a lot different than Toronto where NOTHING is open on Christmas day<<<<<<<<<

Not true. Swiss Chalet and Marche (the ones at BCE Place and Bayview) are openon Christmas day.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

bill_boy. I stand corrected! I wasn't aware that Swiss Chalet is open on Christmas. I'll have to remember that for next year if I stay home.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Just a disclaimer.

The last place that I would recommend for a Christmas meal (or any meal for that matter, would be a Swiss Chalet restaurant in Toronto).
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:21 AM

kodi there is nothing but sales on Dec. 26th. It's a madhouse in all the stores. Everyone is bringing back their gifts for exchanges and frustrated b/c everything's been marked down. Then there are those who wait unil the 26th to buy their gifts on sale. Go early and bring football pads.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Hi Kodi, For a special Christmas dinner, I would check on Gramercy Tavern. It is one of the most delicious restaurants in NYC, but also very warm and cozy (even though it is not a tiny restaurant). Have a lovely visit!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Kangamom, thank you for the suggestion. It looks great and I will add it to my list. I had no idea I'd have so many choices.
Bill_boy, I do love Swiss Chalet once in awhile. After all, it is a real Canadian favourite. But I agree, I wouldn't want to go there for Christmas .(Although I know people who would!)

Mclaurie, I'll be sure and get lots of rest on Christmas night to be ready for the shopping crowds on the 26th. In Toronto stores will not do refunds or exchanges on this day. It's just too crazy.

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 09:05 PM

I am cooking for Christmas, so you are welcome to come and have dinner with us. We live on the uppest west side of Manhattan, right off the subway line. We'll have a Christmas Tree and lots of lights, friends, music, libation and even a fireplace.

Be much more fun to spend it with friends than alone in the big city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -