Search

Maui Revealed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Revealed?

I have seen several posters mention a book/magazine "Maui Revealed"...where did you buy it? Online, or will it be available at the airport or resort?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM

amazon.com, wizardpub.com, Borders Books, Barnes and Noble

Don't wait until you are there or are ready to leave to get it. Get it now!

Ultimate Guide to Kauai
Maui Revealed
Big Island Revealed
Oahu Revealed
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Buy it on the mainland cause many places on Maui refuse to sell it. As you are reading the book, please keep in mind that the ocean is a very powerful force and mountain streams can flood at anytime. Pools are not always safe for swimming, and no matter how much a place resembles its Disneyesque counterparts, the forces of nature are very real and the posted warnings are there for a reason. And, regardless of what the authors tell you, posted private property is still private property and no trespassing means it is kapu.

Thanks to this book, places that were once accessible are now being fenced off with barbed wire. I took a drive up the pali last Sunday with some friends from the mainland and we were all amused/dismayed by a large number of rental cars along the road and a number of people climbing over a newly installed iron gate with HUGE new "NO TRESPASSING -- PRIVATE PROPETY" signs clearly visible. I guess in their minds this applies to everyone else, but not them.

I am interested to see if the authors have addressed any of these very senstive issues in the new edition.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM

You may buy the book at wizardpub.com. Well designed and written, though it stirs emotions.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:47 AM
amz

yeh..it is true about that book telling too much..but i must admit that i relish some of the information trails that the book(as well as their ultimate kauai book) have led me through. What bothers me more about the island's current fate are the large numbers of houses being built on fragile riparian environments like in lawai and wainiha..but alas that's another forum, i'd imagine. All their hawaii books are great(accomodation and restaurant lowdowns are usually pin-on), but i advise using the nature information with great respect for the land always in mind. If there are yokels at your favorite spot..man that burns, i know..but alas and aloha.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM

here_today_gone2Maui
"Buy it on the mainland cause many places on Maui refuse to sell it."

Is this because of the trespassing problems that you mentioned? Or other resons?
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I guess I was hoping for another answer - that I could buy it there, but that seems to be out of the question.

I don't have time to order it, as I leave Saturday Morning...this is a last minute trip for work.

But Thanks anyway...and I promise I will stay pay attention to No Trespassing signs while visiting!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Even leaving Saturday you still have time to purchase it at your local bookstore.

I think the reviews of places to eat and stay is worth the price.

janie
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Janie-

Actually, you're right! Chaulk it up to still early in the morning...I saw several web-sites posters had given, and wasn't thinking of bookstores.

Coffee, please!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Fly_Widget, the "Revealed" books are the cream-of-the-crop among travel books. The authors expect people to use common sense with the information provided to them. HereToday has said previously that she has not read the book. I refrain from criticizing something I have not bothered to read.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:31 AM

You can buy Maui Revealed on Maui. I was there in Dec. 04 and saw it at several shops including, I think, one of the big book stores, Borders or Barnes & Noble, can't remember which one is on Maui ... right near the Old Navy store.

I borrowed it from my public library, read it and then promptly forgot most of it. It was interesting but I wouldn't view it as a "bible".
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:22 AM

leelane911, I really, truly do not want to get in a fight over this, so please try to understand why people in Hawaii have such a problem with the Revealed books. Let me say this, I own and have read all of them. I bought them because I'm in the travel business and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about (from both sides). The hotel information within them is excellent. However, nowhere in the books have I found where you said that "The authors expect people to use common sense with the information provided to them." If you can tell me the page number and the book it's in, I will happily rescind that statement. And people are NOT using common sense. Hence the climbing over fences with large no trespassing signs posted on them.

If you can for one moment, try to divorce yourself from the concept that these are the cream-of-the-crop travel books, and imagine that they are travel books about YOUR neighborhood. The books describe a scene of unbelieveable beauty in your very large back yard, which is fenced off because you want privacy. The books have advised the readers to check with the owners (you) before trespassing on your land. Each day, EVERY day, between 30 to 50 people arrive at your front door, asking permission to see your back yard. Since the street is crowded with cars from other tourists, people park on your lawn, and destroy it with the tire treads. When you're not home to answer the door, or just don't want to interrupt your life anymore that day, people ignore the no trespassing signs, climb over the fence and walk through your yard, trampling the flowers and grass that you've attempted to grow, and dropping their candy wrappers and empty water bottles helter skelter when they find your trash cans are full of garbage (not yours) from all the other people who ignored the signs and preceded them that day. You come home to someone who has tripped over a hose you left on the ground while gardening, and now is threatening to sue you for damages. And If you think this is fanciful, it's not.

Delicate Hawaii Conservation land has been destroyed, people's property has been damaged because the authors of these books have not used enough proper judgement in their suggestions. Some of their suggestions (hiking) are downright dangerous. And while parts of the books are excellent, the parts that aren't excellent can be frightening.

Here_Today_Gone_To_Maui doesn't have to read the books to know what manifestations have resulted from them. She, and other local people LIVE with the problems. And unfortunately, the problems will probably continue even if the authors change the books in the future, because too many people now own them, partially because of people on this BB touting their "Blue Bible".

This is not an "us" versus "them" thing. It's not a "tourist" versus "locals" thing. It's a self preservation thing, a right to privacy thing, and a right to a peaceful way of life.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:44 AM

kamahinaohoku and heretoday, I have a question about the MR beach recommendations. Are there any beaches that are recommended "gems" in the book that require trespassing? I own a copy of the book, but I don't want to trespass. I don't plan on doing any of the hikes, but do plan on visiting many of the gem beaches in south Maui. I think heretoday pointed out that venus pool is now off limits because of the liability issue. I don't want to add to the problem, so please share any other areas that should be considered off limits.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I echo annahead's concerns and request; I was reading Frommer's Hawaii from $80 a Day, 33rd edition, last night, and on page 436, when discussing Twin Falls on the road to Hana, it says "Just before the wide, concrete bridge, pull over on the mountain side and park. Ignore the NO TRESPASSING sign and hop over the ladder on the right side of the red gate." It didn't set right with me when I read it, and confirms my suspicions that I need trustworthy guidance on how to appreciate the road to Hana and all of Maui respectfully.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:45 AM
bonniebroad

I am not speaking of Maui now, but of my own experience on the Massachusetts coast last week. We were in the Gloucester area...... in an area of homes where each one had to cost MILLIONS, with incredible views of the water and coastline! There were "no trespassing" and "private property" signs in several places. We were turning around at one point, when a very nice lady, a RESIDENT who was walking her dog, stopped us to explain that the sign we were obeying was ILLEGAL .... that most of the signs in the area were, and that the local residents just didn't want gawking tourists "clogging" up THEIR roads, and had put up the signs, despite the fact that the roads were public! She disagreed with them, and told us to go on our merry way, and that she hoped we'd respect their beautiful environment there. So there are two sides to these arguments, usually....... I've never had an experience quite like mine this last week; restores your faith in (the majority of) your fellow man.

I also want to say that I think stupid people do stupid things, book or no book. There are things that I really like about the series of books in question, but there's other advice in them that I take with a grain of salt.

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM

likeswords. Life is not always simple. It could be the writers were giving accurate advice about the intentions of the land owners/possessors. Don't know about land law in Hawaii, in particular, but, the owners may permit access despite the "no trespassing" signs, without protest, to give people a privilege or opportunity, without ripening or growing into an irrevocable right to that access, especially if that use becomes burdensome. We have a private road up the street that is normally freely available to the public as a cut through in an office tower complex; however, the road is periodically closed-short term-so the road does not become public. And tort liability laws may be involved: an owner may tolerate access, without inviting it, because there is a greater duty to make property safe for someone invited there, as opposed to the duty owed to a "trespasser."

Before the howls commence, I fully concur that a writer should make absolutely certain s/he's right about the owner's intentions before inviting anyone to ignore a no trespass sign or cross any private land where are no signs. Private property doesn't lose that character simply because it's far from a tourist's home.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:24 AM

No where in my response did I criticize the book. The fact remains that many places on Maui do not sell the book, including Haleakala National Park. I understand that the Big Island book has also been banned from the stores at Volcanoes National Park. The authors have spun this into a goo thing, saying they are the only authors to have evern been banned by the parks because they are too honest. The park service calls it irresponsible. Mainland chains would definitely be the exception. They have no soul and would sell you mother if they could mark her up and get a good ROI.

Things are changing rapidly here, and much of the change is attributed to the sheer volume of visitors now showing up at private property, with book in hand. Waioka Pool access has been barb wired off, Twin Falls Fruit Stand has been torn down, Ahihi-Kina`u is being closed off and when you visit there no you will most likely encounter guides/volunteers who will try to encourage you not to hike and snorkle there. Maui Land & Pine are erecting heavy iron gates at places along the Pali, and in Hana you might encounter the Eastside Hui, a group of Hana residents who are angry and very proactive in challenging trespassers and those who might be removing or overusing resources. I am sure you will see their signs posted throughtout East Maui.

In recent months the number of people entering EMI watershed lands has quadrupled and this means a heck of a lot of people illegally swimming in our water supply. A limited number of people are legally granted access to hike these areas, and a waiver is required. Groups such as the Sierra Club and Maui conduct hikes through here legally, but MR has directed many more people to this area, none of whom are bothering to contact EMI in advance.

The authors have been asked and petitioned repeatedly by residents, environmental groups and those attempting to preserve sacred Hawaiian places and gathering rights of the Hawaiian people to please address these issues and more. I will be interested in seeing how they handle the new edition. This is their chance to show if they truly do care and love these islands, or, if like many , they are just here to make an almighty buck. I believe it is possible to share the wonders of our islands responsibly, and to educate those who come here to visit. We get an average of 50,000 visitors on Maui on any given day. We are walking a very thin line between preserving what draws them here to destroying it for everyone, residents and visitors alike.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Here_today_gone2Maui:

Very intelligent and thoughtful post. As an owner of a copy of that book, I will try to keep all of what you said in mind during my visit to Maui next month.

Ken
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

I am sorry to have started such a hot, controversial topic.

And, I feel for those who live on the islands and have their privacy trampled on. It really sunk in last night while I was talking to a friend about Maui.

I went once with my family about 10 years ago - so I don't remember much. This friend went last year and was telling me about the road to Hana. As she was describing the views, etc. and telling me where to go, she said "don't worry about the private property signs...." so on and so forth.

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:35 AM

A local female Maui radio DJ has a comedy CD out with a take on MR. It really is a hoot! She talks about how to return favors to the authors by going to their house and ask to use their restroom. If they say, "no," she jokes that you can just go into their backyard to release your... well, you get the drift.

Wish I knew the DJ - I'd order her CD!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -