Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for a long weekend trip in New England area? Thanks!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning on taking a long weekend anniversary trip in late October/early November. We live in central NJ and are looking for ideas for a romantic getaway. Somewhere that is driveable from NJ and isn't going to cost a fortune. We've been to New Hope, PA the Inner Harbor, MD, and Newport, RI. We've lived in Boston and NYC so they aren't appealing to us as a get-away. I always get the best ideas from this forum, so thought maybe someone out there would have some ideas.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:00 PM

That would be a perfect time of the year to go Upstate NY! The colors are amazing and the weather is perfect for long walks and apple picking or antiquing or just eating and snuggling.
Our anniversary is the first week in November, so I have a bit of experience with this .
You can go as close as Rhinebeck/Hudson Valley or farther north to Lake George and stay at the Sagamore.
We have done this for many years and I always looked forward to those fall weekends.
The Sagamore has lodge rooms with fireplaces, the Beekman Arms and Belvedere are very nice places to stay in Rhinebeck.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:18 PM
jtp

You mention that you lived in Bostob, so perhaps this is not an area you want to return to, however that time of year, we move both Cape Ann (Rockport) and also Newburyport.
We are in northern NJ and that is just about a 5 hour ride. If you want, for an extra few hours, Camden Maine.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Scarlett, late October/early November is past the peak foliage season in upstate New York. Colombus Day weekend, a couple weeks earlier, will coincide with the peak foliage. It's still beautiful, as are the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts in late October/early November...but no great foliage.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:59 AM

There are a few interesting ideas and websites in this old thread including the idea of flying to Montreal. Is that a possibility?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=1&tid=1324845

I assume you've ruled out Philadelphia?

While Howard's correct that peak foliage is usually over by end Oct/beg Nov it's still a pretty time. Have a look at the Weathervane Inn in South
Egremont
http://www.weathervaneinn.com/home.html
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Sorry Howard, but we have spent many a gorgeous Halloween weekend in Rhinebeck, picking out apples and pumpkins and there is still plenty of color. Perhaps those were autumns that were warmer and the leaves were slower to change. Our anniversary is the first week in November, so I do remember the time we take these trips. The farther north you go the less color, and the Berkshires can be wonderful then too.
Colombus Day is indeed pretty, sometimes not even at the height of color but it can be spoiled by the zillion people in cars and buses, coming to take photos and attend fairs and flea markets. "Leaf Peepers" can make the drive up and home to NYC a trial, taking twice as long. So we learned to avoid that weekend especially.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. As usual, you all have good ideas. I'm also considering Montreal. Not sure if we could drive there, we may have to spring for airfare, but I've always wanted to go.
Thanks again!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:36 PM

- Connecticut River Valley
- Berkshires and Litchfield Hills of CT
- Historic Philadelphia
- Brandywine Valley, DE
- Newport, RI
- Block Island, RI
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Don't know if this is going to be a bit cheesy... but my husband and I are going away for 3 nights (while our 16 year old son is away in Europe for 3 weeks) to Caesar's Pocono Palace. It is an adults only all-inclusive (drinks are extra, however) resort. There are a LOT of things to do there: swimming - indoor & out, boating, golf, fishing, archery, billiards, planned activities, etc. We've never been to this particular resort, but have been to Caesar's (now owned by Starwood) family resort, Brookdale... also in the Poconos, which was really very nice!

We also live in central Jersey (Monmouth Cty) and anticipate the drive to Pocono Palace to be about 2 hours.

I must tell you that the atmosphere may be a bit cheesy... some of the rooms have champaign glass jacuzzis, etc... but they seem to have very good reviews.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:03 AM

Portsmouth NH? Great restaurants and some nightlife. Strawbery Banke historic area. If the weather is good, a harbor cruise? And if you want to start your Christmas shopping the Kittery Maine outlets are just over the bridge or you could make a day trip to Freeport Maine.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:32 AM

What about Woodstock, Vermont? Or outside Woodstock...Barnand, VT. Barnard is right on a small lake with a great general store and several B&B options.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Harriman Park, NY is beautiful late October/November.

North of Lake George it may be too late.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Let me make a plug for Cape Cod. Our fall season is late and you can't go wrong booking any B&B along route 6A. You can get great rates in Chatham as well and I would do a search for Chatham or anything along the Olde King's Highway (rte. 6A).
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I would add Lancaster PA as another trip possibility even though it's not New England. I also would pick upstate New York over New England anyway. Hudson Valley and Leatherstocking areas are both very nice that time of year.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:43 AM

My husband and I just stayed at the Wake Robin Inn in Lakeville, CT. Lakeville is in LItchfield county, in the northwest corner, very close to the Mass and NY borders. The Wake Robin is a great place to stay. The staff is really friendly, the grounds pretty, and is very clean. They are in the midst of a renovation so there are some worn areas that need a bit of attention, but again, things are very clean. Lovely antiques, and the food was great. You can see my full review of them at www.tripadvisor.com.

The Wake Robin would be a great place to stay for a foliage tour of Litchfield County or the Berkshires.

Sorcha