Driving Tapes to Hana

Search

Driving Tapes to Hana

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Tapes to Hana

What exactly is on the Cassette tapes that people talk about for the road to Hana. Do you stop it when you park or fast forward if you don't take the "detour" offered on the tape. Are they a hassle?
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:43 PM

The cds, as a rule, take you from point to point, with instructions to stop the cd and then begin it again at Mile Marker XX. As you apporach a point of interest it tells about it, as well as points out various things to look for as you drive at a particular place along the road. When you arrive at a destination, the cd is done and ready for you to start it up again at the designated place.

I must wholeheatedly recommend the one called "On the Road Again," with narration by Captain Aloha and Uncle Boy Kanai This cd has music and entertainment in between narration and is overall the funnest one out there. We keep a copy at the house for our visitors. And, if you plan on stopping at Mama's at the end of your travels, as an added bonus, you can have your cd autographed by Captain Aloha, who's alter ego is a mild-mannered valet named Jed at Mama's.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 08:52 PM

I know it's not the question you asked but Maui Revealed has some excellent maps and descriptions of the highway, with mile markers.

love
roxy
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 09:00 PM

We used one of the cassette tapes (the one that you buy at a stand near a gas station) when we drove to Hana about 2 years ago. We really enjoyed it, and I thought it was preferable to having to keep checking the guide books (as I did when we drove to Hana about 10 years ago).

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

At what destination do the tapes usually end?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Have to recheck our tape at a later , another ends at Lindbergh's grave, link describing audio tour:
http://www.hanahou.com/maui.htm
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:39 PM
sap

Nancy, we had so much fun with that "On the Road Again" CD that gone2maui recommends. It especially made the trip more interesting for my kids (and my 6-year-old keeps singing "Reggae Rock in the Maui Style" over & over now). We picked up our copy at the Hana Bay Juice Co. in Pa'ia, where we also bought box lunches for the trip. They also gave us a free copy of a funny video of Captain Aloha and Uncle Boy Kanai as they describe the North Shore and other Maui sites. Those guys remind me of a thoroughly modern Abbott & Costello and some of the music is pretty good & gets you in the island mood.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Do you know other places to get the "On the Road Again" CD? We did the blue guide book last year. The CD sounds great!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:53 AM

We got the cd at the Shell station on Rt. 36, narrated by Craig Henderson. I had trouble keeping it with us, only becuase of my lack of technical expertise! Halfway through it was great. We also used M. Revealed. It ended at the 7 pools, I think.