How My Friend & I Enjoyed NYC on the Cheap

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to one and all who made recommendations of ways of spending time in the Big Apple without spending much money. In summary, ,my friend, who does social work here in Montreal and never felt he could afford to go to NYC (45 years old and had never been!), decided to come when I offered him a free bus ticket and accommodation at my aunt's in Manhattan. One of his concerns was that day-to-day expenses would be too much.

As it turned out, my aunt, out of the generosity of her heart, offered us a $20 MTA card, which helped with transportation costs considerably. This said, we had no problem finding uniquely New York things to do without spending much. One of his and my favorite excursions was a walking tour through Chelsea, meandering up and down the side streets between 7th & 9th Avenue, between 14th and 24th Streets. The broad-stepped rowhomes would have filigreed frescoes on the side, sometimes gargoyles and other statues above the doorway that reminded me how gracious Manhattan can be in parts. The number of sidewalk cafes in Chelsea and in the neighboring West Village delighted my friend (some stunning gracious architecture in West Greenwich Village as well!), although we're pretty blessed in that regard here too in MTL.

That was the first day... and my friend was pleased that we had one celebrity sighting, Aidan Quinn, who was filming just outside the deli where we were eating. The second day, we paid our respects to Saint Patrick's Cathedral (which I'd never visited), which really is a sight to behold. I was particularly impressed with the thick bronze entry doors, ornamented with reliefs of several saints. He was disappointed to miss the Jacqueline Bouvier chapel (myth or truth, we still don't know), we walked to fountained, bush-sculpted Rockefeller Square (he couldn't believe he was at the sight of Good Morning America), meandered down to Times Square (he couldn't believe there was the famous naked cowboy) to say we'd been, and then strolled over to gracious Bryant Park and had a coffee. After picking up my aunt at 5th Ave Presbyterian (which itself has a gorgeous sanctuary) after her worship service, we walked through Central Park for a bit, rode the carousel and headed back home. Other than a coffee in Bryant Park, the carousel ride and a few cards of saints my friend had bought at Saint Patrick's, no money had been spent. Very reasonable.

OUR ONE ERROR. We went to Carnegie Deli; my friend wanted a surly deli experience. Unfortunately this one was not as reasonably priced for this genre as one might expect. My friend got an egg-salad sandwich ($8!) and I think his eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when he saw there was a $12.50 minimum per person at this place. We would have cancelled our order if we hadn't been so wiped-out! Even though the egg-salad sandwich was piled (too) high, we found it excessive and not worth it for the ho-hum food quality. Who cares if a whole bunch of famous people have been with their pictures on the wall? Well, that's my 2 cents anyhow.

That night, we went to Stonewall Inn, the renowned bar that started the Gay civil rights movement in North America. It's a bit of a dive (yet I found good fun) but had no cover charge; the drag queen actually sang (voice really like a woman's) and wasn't half bad.

Other highlights of the trip were a walking tour of East Greenwich Village, particularly charming Stuyvesant Park with the graceful, peaceful surrounding churches, the Strand Bookstore and Saint Mark's Place. My friend this time got the reasonably priced curt service he was seeking (from Carnegie Deli but did not find) instead at Ess-A Bagel.

Our final afternoon, we felt we should see the Statue of Liberty (even though it's about my 15th time to NYC, even I had never been before). We took a bus and then the subway (1,9) to South Ferry. Make sure to get in the first five cars of the subway going to South Ferry, but don't worry if you forget, because they'll announce this about ten times before you get there! Anyhow, we walked to Battery Park, and keeping to our tradition of cheapness, we only looked through pay-binoculars (after somebody who'd paid the cash strolled away *wink*) to see Ms. Liberty. After, we went into the shrine of Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first American-born saint (a fact I certainly didn't know before). It's a simple, peaceful chapel dedicated to this generous, humble, poor-helping woman.

Anyhow it was a great trip and thanks again to all those who gave advice. Thanks to you, my friend, who had previously thought New York City would still be *rather scary* (*particularly the subway*)(he'd heard the stories from the 80s) and imagined he'd be *walking everywhere like a sardine in a box*...discovered he felt as comfortable in the Big Apple as he did in Montreal. He felt all the crime shows that take place in New York had given him a overblown sense of apprehension. For this, I was extremely happy he'd gone...there's nothing I appreciate more than sharing my experiences in a way that opens someone else's eyes (and in this case, shattered some misconceptions).

Thanks one and all. DAN
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:51 PM

Hey, that was neat! Isn't it fun--even after your 15th time to a destination--to "play tourist" for the first time?

I had no idea Carnegie Deli had a $12.50 minimum. Yikes! Good advice for my next trip.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM

Awww, Daniel, I am so glad that you and your friend had such a nice time!
What a nice aunt you have too ~

We used to see Aidan Quinn all the time, good looking, isn't he
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:31 AM

Many restaurants in New York have a minimum charge - especially modest places at lunch - and more especially on the tourist track - to discourage those who come in "just to look" and take table space away from paying customers. (I've seen people try to sit down without ordering anything - or just a coke - or 2/3 people want to share one pastry.)
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:02 AM

Thanks for the report. I stopped at the Carnegie Deli once 25 years ago - it was a tourist trap way back then. NYC has MUCH better, though less famous, places to get a sandwich. If there is a $12.50 minumim, then why not just charge $12.50 for the egg salad sandwich ????!!??
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:18 AM

Dan:

Your friend is lucky to have you arrange things and don't we all wish we had such a aunt in NYC.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Will help others who need to watch their $$'s.

Sandy
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:04 AM

I'm with you on Carnegie Deli. Serve uneatable, gigantic portions while threatening a huge sharing charge. Seems a waste to me in both food and expense.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:20 AM

Daniel - Thanks for the report. Can you tell where the shrine for Elizabeth Seton is?

Also, I'm curious as to why you didn't take the Staten Island Ferry - the biggest bargain of all in NYC with its terrific views of the city and the Statute of Liberty? We did this last October at sunset and it was the highlight of the trip for me.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
GoTravel

The last time I said Carnegie Deli was overpriced and mediocre, I got flamed.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:34 AM

Is Katz's better, or is it the same high price/huge portions approach that Carnegie takes?
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:35 AM
bonniebroad

Daniel, I believe you could tell me about a shoe-shopping expedition, and I'd find it fascinating. Love the way you write! So glad you had a great trip with your friend.......

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the report, Dan. Sounds like you and your friend had an excellent adventure!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

I enjoyed reading everyone's replies.

Scarlett--it was indeed great to see M. Quinn while having supper near my cousin's at Stagedoor Deli near Penn Station. He was watching the basketball game which was showing right behind our table, so we got a bird's eye view of him on a number of occasions. I probably gave the actor more thought in those 10 minutes than I had done ever before in my life, but as for my cousin, she was quite enthralled, having been attracted to the actor for many years. She'd sneak a peek at him when he wasn't looking.

As for Carnegie Deli, while I do understand that Midtown property taxes aren't cheap and that they want to discourage people just coming and paying say $5 for an appetizer... if the quality were better, I might not mind. But honestly, I'm with Brian_in_Charlotte, the burger I ordered was nothing special and let's not talk about the egg-salad sandwich... Let's just say I wouldn't go again.

My aunt IS a jewel and I know that I'm lucky to have her... she has an enormous generosity of spirit; that's why I wanted to offer this opportunity to my friend... he may have never visited NY otherwise.

Bennie, the shrine of Betty Ann Seton was across from Battery Park near South Ferry subway station (I'm not sure of the exact address). As for the Staten Island Ferry, my friend can't swim and didn't want to go out on the water, although I only asked him if he wanted to do the Ellis Island Ferry. Next visit!

BonnieBroad, your compliment made my day! And thanks again to ALL who read my trip report... happy travels!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:34 PM

I think Stage is better than Carnegie, but that is always a debate. I have no idea why you would order egg salad, however. If you're going to Carnegie, Stage, etc. get corned beef, pastrami, brisket, etc. That is what they are known for. If you don't want something like that, don't bother to go.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:11 PM

And it's been years for me, but IMHO, I think the 2nd Avenue Deli beats them all!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:24 PM

I'm with vacationdreamer. Why go to Carnegie Deli for an egg salad sandwich and hamburger??? You go to Carnegie Deli for.....deli, of course!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
GoTravel

Agree with Second Avenue.

Stage over Carnegie and in the area, I think Ben-Ash Deli across from Carnegie is better than both of them.

Daniel, you cracked me up about your friend not wanting to do the Staten Island Ferry because he/she doesn't swim!

The current is so swift in the East River (to be technical, the East River isn't a river but a Tidal Estuary) that all but the best olympic swimmers would have a hard time staying afloat. Also, the ferries are humongous! I think I read somewhere that each one holds 5,000 passengers. I think if one sank, the top of the ferry would still stick out of the water.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
emd

Re the question about Katz deli: My daughter and I ate there last Saturday for the first time, after the Tenement Museum. $12.45 for a HUGE pastrami sandwich that I am sure we could have split, but my duagher didn't want pastrami. And I didn't want one to myself so we ended up ordering a turkey sub ($6) for her, which was pretty much like any other sandwich place, and I got a bratwurst and saurkraut sandwich ($6). We had a nice time there anyway- part of it is sitting at tables w/people you don't know, chatting w/them, the pictures on the wall of all the people who have eaten there, the old time atmosphhere, and those lovely plates of pickles that everyone orders.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:42 PM
emd

And one other comment: My daughter and I did not do the Staten Island Ferry as she is also not keen on boats, although she is on a swim team and is an excellent swimmer. The idea of a boat going down is a deterrent for her, and I choose not to push her on that. And yes, I was not keen on walking the Brooklyn Bridge once we got there- I don't like bridges and heights and niehter does she. I'm sure there are people on here who will tell us to go into therapy. So what. We had a good time on the island with our feet on the ground.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
GoTravel

uh, emd I don't think anyone has an issue with you and your daughter not walking the Brooklyn Bridge or taking the ferry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -