Reload this Page >

Best guidebook for Hawaii? Fodors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Andrew

For anyone who has been to Hawaii - which guidebook would you recommend (or not recommend)? How does Fodors' guide stack up?

Andrew

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:55 PM
martin

I have not used Fodor's in Hawaii. The Access guides are great but the Hawaii edition could use an update. The best we've found are the "Revealed" series from Wizard publications, but they are island-specific--that is there are different editions for each island. If you are going to a specific island (or two) they are well worth it.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:02 PM
joan

If you are going to Maui, Kauai, or the Big Island, go to www.wizardpub.com and order their guidebooks. You won't be sorry, they're really good - and with great maps. Haven't seen Fodor's but I believe it's all available here on the website anyway.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Ilike

It seems a lot of people here like the "Ultimate Guidebook to: ". One for each island.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:31 AM
stacie

I have to enter another vote for the "Revealed"/"Ultimate Guide" series. We borrowed a few different ones for our trip this summer & ended up buying Maui's & Kauai's because of reccomendations (Barnes & Noble carried both)--we left all the others at home & kept these in the car. If you do get these, check their website shortly before you leave; they post updates to their books online.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Sarah

Ditto Joan's suggestions. Fodor's just has good info on middle range hotels. It lacks in historical content and objective criticism. I don't recall reading much on non-commercial outdoor activities. Lonely planet books actually has historical mistakes given as information. Saw this for info on Oahu they also are not published yearly so frequently dated books are on the shelves.

Wizard pubs are good but you do learn that no one book is ever the best option. For example Wizard pub guide down plays Lapperts Ice Cream because they are angry at a jump in price. They told us that one woman we go to for shaved ice (annually) for the best shave ice was grumpy! I guess with any guide book you find the author's playing favorites with certain business's. I did not find there suggestions for hotel or restaurants on the mark. I think they give Hanalei Bay Resort a high status and it is as you can find on here a bit worn & crowded.

Still hiking/Kayak options you don't find in regular guide books make ultimate guides one of your best options for guide books. I also like the underground guide to Kauai. But you can skim over this pretty quickly with a frappacino at Barnes & Noble and pick out what Ultimate guide does not have. One thing I noticed was a list of markets around the island. This can be a great resource and you can download from Kauai visitor bureau website. We picked up fresh island ginger flowers that filled the house with scent. Many other products that leave even long term residents lined up before markets open. Also trail maps for hikes in Kokee/Waimea Canyon are.

Good luck, HAVE FUN!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Frommer

I've read many guidebooks on Hawaii. Frommer's is the best !!!! Sorry Fodorites - your chief competitor is better.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Cathy

I'm a travel book junkie, and one of the most useful --and fun-- while we were in Hawaii was "Hidden Hawaii." It gives all the usual touristy info you'd find in Fodors and Frommer's, but then throws in interesting little side trips or "extras." For instance, while on Maui and doing the obligatory Road to Hana, it would tell you to "turn left at milemarker #___ past the waterfall to see such and such.

I felt like it really gave us an edge over the rest of the tourists!

There's not a Hidden book for every location, but Hawaii (and New Mexico) were particularly interesting to us.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Ashleigh

If you're going to Kauai, definitely get The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, 4th edition. They're sold everywhere on the island, but we received it as a gift and read it on the plane. It's chock full of info that many other books left out.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:28 PM
reader

Maui Revealed is pretty good. Everyone in Maui seemed to be using it, and you can buy it at the Walmart there.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:43 PM
lil

The Unofficial Guide To Hawaii.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:54 PM
Tara

Go to your local bookstore or any online bookseller and buy them all and peruse them thoroughly. Each and every one has tips/recommendations not found in any of the others more than worth the price of the book.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:53 AM
aloha

Another suggestion for island-specific books are the "Driving and Discovering" books by Richard Sullivan. I think the only islands he has done books on are O'ahu and Maui. They are filled with photos and very detailed driving directions, as well as bus routes on O'ahu. Don't cover hotels and such, but are great for finding out of the way sites.

For general info, I use Frommers. The wizard pub books are fantastic references for each island.