Reload this Page >

Please recommend Nantucket restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Island Bound

Four women seeking late lunch/early dinnner in Nantucket at a restaurant with great atmosphere and attentive service where we won't be rushed. Any suggestions?! Thanks in advance!

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Please

Does nobody out there have a favorite Nantucket restaurant?!

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:46 AM
wondering

I've heard of the Boarding House, but haven't personally been there. Perhaps someone can confirm it with personal experience.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Lizzie

There are so many terrific restaurants on Nantucket... but if I were to head to ACK with three friends (I'm in my late 20s) I would probably take the boat out to Toppers at the Wauwinet. They serve cocktails during the forty-five minute trip! The food is fantastic and the service impeccable, and the tab will reflect that. If we wanted to stay in town, we'd head to the Pearl if we were looking for an NYC-style scene and the American Seasons for a more laid-back meal. In my opinion, American Seasons is much, much better than the Pearl--my fiance and I were disappointed by our meal at Pearl, but the place gets rave reviews from others. The Boarding House is good and right in the center of things. Not quite as special as the others I mentioned, though. Let us know what you decide!

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:00 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

My husband and I had a nice lunch on the beach at the Summer House in Sconset(sp?). We took the bus out and wandered around and then stopped for lunch.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Island Bound

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, the Boarding House and Pearl don't open until 6m and the last ferry back is at 7:20. So I don't think that will work. Similarly, I don't suppose another boat ride out to Toppers would be a first choice. I'm going to check out both American Seasons and Summer House for opening times and availability. What types of food do they serve?

Old May 29th, 2002, 05:37 AM
nina

American Seasons serves American regional food, for example they have 4 different menu's, one from the pacific coast, one from the south, one from the west and one from New England. Each menu has a meat, fish and poultry dish with appetizers, etc. It is EXCELLENT, but I'm not even sure if they are open for lunch. Try the Brant Grill at the White Elephant, you will have a great view of the harbor, the ropewalk is also open for lunch, soesn't have outstanding food but it's a great spot for a view and people watching. Also try the restaurant at Cliffside Beach Club.

I would take the shuttle or taxi out to Sconset too at the Summer House. I absolutely love it there and it is a beautiful spot with great food.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:36 PM
Carrie

I heartily second the recommendation of American Seasons. We had an excellent meal/experience there the first weekend of May this year. My husband and I would rate it as one of our top five of all time -- honest! it was THAT good!
(For a point of reference, my first place is Guido's in the Piedmont region of Italy; my 2nd is Arrows in Maine...)

We were there for 3 or 4 hours (several bottles of wine -- all American wine list, BTW) and were definitely not rushed.

Let's see if I can recreate our meal:

Apps were a heavenly "creme brulee" foie gras -- unbelievably wonderful and quite different, but what a concept, perfectly executed! Also, some sort of a pulled pork with a southwestern sauce -- also v good.

We shared a salad (excellent tossed greens) with an exceptional gorgonzola cheese in it.

For dinner, I had lamb. I am very picky about lamb -- it has to be done right (the rare side of medium rare and no fat.) I was expecting a couple of pieces from a rack. What I got instead were about 4 or 5 delectable, thinly cut, absolutely perfectly cooked, tenderloins of lamb (no bone/no rack). I don't believe that I've ever had lamb that good. Sauce was a wine reduction, if I remember correctly. Don't remember what hubby had and can't ask him, bc he's asleep....

Dessert was a creme brulee (a real one, not with foie gras!). We decided that it was probably the best CB we've had -- unbelievable creamy texture.

Our waiter was excellent, attentive when necessary, but left us alone and didn't try to push the next course on us. Don't know his name, but he had been there for 4 (?) years. Knew the menu well, as well as the wines.

The atmosphere is more "upscale bar-like", I would say. Prices were excellent, esp given the quality. We heard people talking at the next table, however, that prices probably would go up with the "summer menu" when all of the tourists descend on the island, but I don't know if this is true, or how much more.

Ok, I'll stop raving. We loved American Seasons.