zion or yellowstone

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:54 PM
dennis

zion or yellowstone

hey fellow travel enthusiasts......given a choice, which would you recommend....zion national park or yellowstone? which offers a wider variety of activities? I'm planning a week off in may and these are two parks i want to visit but only have time and funds to do one. thank you all very much.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:28 PM
Dayle

Hi Dennis!

I guess it depends on what you prefer during May:

Yellowstone
still quite cool in May
wildflowers not out yet
not all roads or facilities open yet
chance to see wildlife w/ newborns!
geothermal features
good for a week if you see most highlights

Zion
wildflowers will be out - they have already had some 80 degree days
not too hot or crowded in May
great hiking!
awesome scenery/photo ops
good for 2 or 3 days depending on how much you hike

Your choice!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:31 PM
travellyn

Definitely Yellowstone. It's in the league of Grand Canyon and Yosemite. Zion is worth going out of your way for, but Yellowstone is worth a trip in itself. It offers a much wider variety of activities. If you decide on Zion, combine it with other Utah parks.

If you're planning your visit for 2 moinths from now, it will be hard to find a hotel room in Yellowstone. I've enjoyed camping there and in the Grand Tetons in August. Plan on subfreezing temperatures at night in May.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:58 PM
Bob Brown

Yellowstone; no contest.
Yellowstone is a park with just about everything. Geysers, waterfalls, lakes, wildlife, canyons, and rock formations.
I could spend a week there, again.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:34 PM
xx

In one week you can do Zion, Bryce and the NOrth Rim of the Grand CAnyon. Fly into Las Vegas and rent a car. Yellowstone is a great park but one week could be overkill.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:57 PM
Utahtea

As much as I love Utah, I think I would choose a week in Yellowstone over Zion.

It takes a good week to see all that Yellowstone has to offer. I'm not sure how the weather will be in May. We were there the first week of June a couple of years ago and the crowds had not come and the weather was PERFECT! All the roads were open, even the Bear Tooth Highway. If you can make your vacation as late in May as possible then I would say Yellowstone.

If not then Zion might be a better choice this year. If this is your first time in southern Utah then I would suggest going to a few of the other parks in the southwest like Bryce, Capitol Reef, N. Rim Grand Canyon, Lake Powell. Pick a couple, don't try to do them all.

If you like hiking then it you won't have any problem finding things to do in Zion. You also don't want to be there in the summer with the heat and crowds.

Let us know what you decide.

Utahtea