Zion, Bryce, Moab, ++ from Vegas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2017, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following is a draft itinerary for an 11 day trip (including travel days) this fall and would love some feedback/suggestions. Primary acttivities will be moderate hiking and sightseeing. Have hike guides and resources so don't need much advice on that front but welcome info on any "hidden gems". Including initial thoughts on lodging and would appreciate any guidance in this area as well as with overall itinerary

Sat 9/30. Arrive LV late morning
Sat -Sun nights Bryce Lodge at Bryce Canyon (understand driving right by Zion, but thought is to spend first weekend days in Bryce and save Zion for the end including a full non weekend day Mon 10/9
Mon night - Escalante or Boulder. Accommodations?
Tue night - Torrey Rim Rock Inn?
Plan to stop at Goblin Valley along the way
Wed-Fri nights - Moab. Accommodations?
Sat night - Monument Valley View Hotel
Sun-Mon nights Zion / Springdale. Accommodations (Zion Lodge not available)
Tue leave LV late afternoon

With a little over 4 hours as the longest drive day and most much shorter, have flexibility to shift time spent in each area by 1/2 to 3/4 of a day by leaving early or later in the day.

All feedback and suggestion welcome and appreciated.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 08:14 PM

Escalante
If you have high clearance vehicle, drive down Hole in The Rock Road:
First - read history
http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_cha...xperience.html

Second- You wrote you have hiking books. There are many scenic hikes along this road including slot canyons.

Lodging.
Prospector Inn is a reasonable motel - been there for years
For cheaper accommodations, campgrounds offer cabins as does Escalante Outfitters.

Vaga
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 11:11 AM

Escalante has a new hotel--haven't been but you might want to check it out. Google hotels in Escalante to find it. I have stayed at the Prospector for years. It's ok. Great coffee/breakfast at Escalante Outfitters. For dinner--try the restaurant across the street from Prospector.

In Torrey-- Chuckwagon Inn is nice because you are right in town and can get good coffee from Robbers Roost coffee shop. Plus eat at Cafe Diablo.

In Moab, I either stay at the Marriott just north of town or stay in an apartment/lodging through http://www.moabutahlodging.com

At Zion, I prefer either the Cable Mountain Inn or Desert Pearl Inn.

You can click on my user name to see trip reports for all of these parks/areas--which all have detailed info on lodging/dining/hiking etc.

Get cracking on those reservations. September is a popular time!
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 04:47 PM

We stayed at the Best Western in Zion. It was clean, comfortable and had a great breakfast. Very convenient.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 03:02 AM

Escalante is a very small town with a few options - we've stayed at the Prospector and Circle D motels - both fine. The dining at Circle D is simple and good. Escalante Outfitters also has good coffee (I'm fussy), some tasty baked goods and a few simple options like pizza.

We usually stay in Boulder at the Boulder Mountain Lodge which is a beautiful setting and very nice inn with an excellent restaurant on site, Hell's Backbone Grill.

On the east side of Escalante just outside of town is Hole in the Rock Road, which leads to Devils Garden, a very cool area of unique rock formations - worth a visit.

Your drive from Bryce to Torrey on Route 12 (which is incredibly scenic) will provide lots of photo opportunities and scenic pull off's. Capitol Reef is a beautiful and quiet national park with some great hiking, a short petroglyph trail and some interesting historic features including the famous orchards. Hickman Bridge is a beautiful and easy hike.

There are lots of lodging options in Moab - we've stayed at many different ones over the years and all have been fine. Most are national chain-type like Best Westerns and Microtel. In Arches, sign up for the Fiery Furnace hike which is ranger-led and a fun and interesting area.

The Canyon Overlook hike in Zion (near tunnel entrance) is one of my favorite short hikes. Angels Landing is too crowded for my taste; I'd suggest the Narrows instead if the weather allows it. Not a huge fan of the Desert Pearl myself, but the wonderful Canyon Ranch Motel across from the Pearl is being torn down and replaced so I guess I can't recommend it...very sad since it was our favorite place to stay. There are lots of options - can't really go wrong. Enjoy a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:02 AM

Stayed at Slot Canyons Inn near Escalante and loved it, horses, cattle, and great views, 5 mins to town. The ride from there up through Capital Reef includes the Devils Backbone highway, which is scenic but not for the feint of heart. Went from 100 degrees up over the pass in snow flurries and back down to 100 degrees. Goblin Valley is one of the more surreal settings in the west. Feels like the surface of another planet and definitely worth the stop. Zion is very scenic, agree with the Canyon Overlook hike. We also did a half day ATV rental/tour of the Gooseberry Mesa and it was awesome. Old stagecoach trails, huge views, Indian burial grounds.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 10:56 AM

Sorry but Canyon Ranch Motel in Springdale is no more...torn down for a larger monstrosity.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 11:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP registered, posted, and has not been back. (Probably waiting for an alert from Fodors -- it'll be a looooooong wait)
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 05:02 PM

Oh my, sorry to hear Canyon Ranch is no more. Good memories made there with our granddaughter. But we really liked Desert Pearl, too.