Reload this Page >

zion and bryce in oct

Search

zion and bryce in oct

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 12:16 PM
toldham

zion and bryce in oct

I am planning a trip to zion and bryce in october. I was thinking of staying two nights at each place--is that a good plan

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Dayle

Toldham, southern Utah is wonderful in Oct. Bryce is at 8000 ft. so the nights will be cold. Fall colors should be fabulous if you are at Bryce first two weeks in Oct. Colors might be a little early this year however, our leaves are turning fast here in Park City, UT at elevation 7000 ft.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Angie

It's a great plan. We went to zion and bryce last October (2 nights in each), and loved it. The weather was beautiful, it started out cold in the morning, but then got warmer by mid-day. Wear layers.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:30 PM
fan

Hi! We were in Arizona and Utah the third week of October last year. When we arrived in Bryce, there was a hailstorm..lots of lightening...very frightening. Apparently, the red earth attracts the lightening. The weather in Zion, Grand Canyon,Sedona and Lake Powell was very enjoyable.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Larry

Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park (AAA Map of SW US Ref H21):
http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm and then click on the ‘In Depth’ button. Not really a canyon but the edge of a mesa that has been eroded by water and left spectacular views. Lookout points from long drive along top of mesa. Lots of hiking. Several nice hikes down through scenic areas. Navajo Loop Trail and Queen's Garden Trail can be done together. Hint: Start at Sunset Point as trail is steeper there and easier to go down. Two large campgrounds but park is very busy. Flush toilets but no showers. Showers & commercial camping available outside park. Evening campfire talks by Rangers. Recommend 2 days. Motels outside park

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Dayle

Yes there are showers at Bryce inside the park. They are by the little store near Bryce Lodge.

Also, if red earth attracts lightening, this is certainly the first I've heard of it. I've lived in the west all my life. We get severe lightening storms here usually during the late summer and usually in the afternoons/evenings, but storms can hit at any time. Altitude is also a factor. Usually in the west, you have plenty of warning if you just keep an eye on the sky. You will see the thunderheads build in size and become very black. Then the wind starts and it's time to go indoors or find a safe spot. DO NOT stand under a tree - lightening usually hits the highest object in the area. If you are caught out in the open, squat on the ground. Keep your rubber-soled shoes on the ground.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 03:34 PM
fan

Re:red earth. That's what we were told. It's the iron in the earth that makes it red and that attracts the lightening. I am not a geologist...but it made sense to me.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 07:02 AM
good

topper

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 01:28 PM
Red Earth?

I am a geologist who has spent time in Bryce and Zion. Yes, the tints on many southern Utah strata occur because iron compounds in the sediments become oxidized (i.e. rust). The concentration of iron in such deposits is so small that it would be virtually impossible that lightning would preferentially strike there. As noted above, the powder is really an oxide, which contains more oxygen than iron. As noted above, lightning is attracted more to grounded objects that present a point source for static electricity. A good example would be a tall tree, which generally does not contain much iron! There are many lightning storms over Canyon Country, but this is due to static electricity generated by rising thermal currents, and nothing to do with red rocks!

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 03:52 PM
fan

Re:Red Rocks OK,OK I'll buy your explanation...just as I bought the other explanation. At any rate, there was too much lightening for my liking!