Search

Yosemite West lodging ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite West lodging ?

Hi, fellow Fodorites,

Thanks for your past help. I have a new question. Has anyone ever stayed at any of the various condos or other lodging in the privately owned area called Yosemite West? I just found out about this area and they do have some openings for the time we'll be in Yosemite but I don't want to commit without knowing more since their cancellation policies are quite severe.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Floridafran
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Hi,

We have rented houses twice from Yosemite Four Seasons and are going back again this July. They have been nice places with no problems.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Yes, I had a good experience renting a condo there, although it was some years ago. Pleasant unit, particularly nice kitchen. A large patio, although looking out on a small meadow, woods, and some low hills only--the development is not in a "majestic view" area. However, I think the location is about as good as you can get if you can't stay in Yosemite Valley itself (which I would recommend for the experience regardless of the type of accommodation, but usually requires reservations far in advance. There are often last-minute cancellations to be had, but that's probably why the cancellation policies at Yosemite West are so severe.)

It certainly was more "homey" to actually be in a unit that is someone's "second home", and there was the bonus that the owners were excellent photographers and there were many beautiful Yosemite photos on the walls.

I would advise being sure you understand the type/size/number of beds there are in the unit you're renting, since this factor isn't as standardized under this type of arrangement as it would be in a hotel. I didn't get what I expected bedwise, but then, I hadn't asked.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:10 AM

I guess I should specify that I was talking about Yosemite West which the original poster was asking about, not Yosemite Four Seasons which John H posted about, which I think (not sure) is a totally different outfit with houses in different locations. I am not familiar with them.
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:12 PM

My boys and I stayed in Yosemite West last summer at the Suite Sunshine. It was very nice, clean, and the owner was helpful suggesting trails, etc. for us to visit. I wanted to stay in the valley but couldn't get reservations; although, I wish I had tried harder since we spent most of our days starting out in the valley. We often came back to the room midday to rest so going back and forth was a 25 minute trip each way. However, it was midway between the valley and the Mariposa Grove and we also went to dinner and a stargazing program 1 night at the Wawona Hotel. Yosemite West is also near the turnoff for Glacier Point. So, after all that, if you can't get in the valley, Yosemite West would be a close 2nd in my opinion. Much, much closer to the valley and activities rather than Wawona or outside the park. Have a great trip!