Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yosemite - Too Little or Too Long, Need HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is beyond last minute, just got word I'll be at Stanford for a week in July, so I want to try to see Yosemite while I'm out there....and yes, I know lodging will be a killer, nothing in park but curry village and not interested in the tents. So trying to get some feedback on the loop and length of trip I should take.

July 25 Leave Stanford (afternoon, can't change) for Mariposa or Oakhurst. Thought I'd stay South and work my way north, getting me closer to airport later. Need accommodation suggestions.

July 26 - Drive north through Sequoias and into Yosemite, getting my bearings, maps, maybe signing up for tours (will check the guide, think new one came out yesterday?) Try to make reservations at the Yosemite West Condos? Yosemite View Falls is booked.

July 27, 28 29 - Want to bike, hike, drive see as much of park as possible> I know this is "busy" season but this is the only time I can do this and I want "leisurely" enjoy my stay despite the throngs of peopel QUESTION: Is this too much time, should I just allow 2 full days?

July 30 - head to SFO - How long will the drive take me....could I make a 1:30p flight out, enough time for 4 hour drive and to return a car? Could also take an 11:30p late eye. Thoughts?

I've done research, but frankly I'm overwhelmed and I know I'll be scrambling as it is. Any suggestions for anything would be greatly appreciated.....length of trip, route, etc. anything I’ve overlooked. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:39 AM

It is a good idea to stay in Oakhurst the night you arrive as long as you do not plan to do anything in the Park upon arrival. The next morning you can drive North toward the Valley & stop at the Mariposa Grove (especially if you have never seen Sequoias). I would suggest ONLY staying in the Park from here on out as it is big & other lodging is far. Curry Village (where we stayed) is not bad one you get used to it (think sleep-away camp).

Looks like you are planning 4 days in Park. You will get alot of opinions on that! Try to plan activities on http://www.nps.gov/yose/

You can exit out the West gate on you way back to SFO. I do not think I would be comfortable with an early afternoon flight.

You are gonna love Yosemite.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM

I think Yosemite West is a very good option, or it was many years ago when I last stayed there. It is a private inholding within the park boundaries, and only about a half hour drive either to the Valley or to Glacier Point. Oakhurst and Mariposa (I used to have relatives there) are much farther away.

Plus I like the convenience of having a kitchen, a fireplace, and even a television set, at the condos.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
maj

If you want to hike -- 3 days is definitely not too much time. I'd get something at Curry Village and keep trying to see if there are cancellations at Yosemite Lodge as the date gets nearer.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM

There is also availablity at Wawona.

If you really want to see and do as much as possible, you should get up to Tuolumne Meadows as well. If you would consider a tent cabin, there is availablity at May Lake High Sierra Camp (Near Tuolumne) on July 28.

You could stay 2 nights at Wawona (26 and 27), seeing the Valley and doing a hike there on the 27th. (Visit the Sequoia groves on your arrival day, and Glacier Point if there is time). Get up early on the 28th and drive up to Tuolumne---it's a bit over an hour at that time of day. The hike in to May Lake is only 2.7 miles, so you easily do it. The following day (the 29th), hike out and spend the rest of the day expolring around Tuolumne. Head out late in the afternoon and spend that night outside the park on the west side, maybe in Groveland? (Several nice little B&B type places there).

The High Sierra Camps are very special places, so popular that there is an annual lottery for the spaces. It is a rare opportunity to pick up a reservation at one of the camps at this point--they have apparently been affected by "the economy". I can provide more details if you are interested. It is a tent cabin, but in a remote and scenic location, far from the hubbub of Curry Village.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM

If you really want to see as much as possible, get over your resistance to staying in one of the tent cabins. It won't kill you for a few nights.

Or just come back later when you can plan ahead.
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM

1) keep calling for cancellations on Yosemite lodge. People make reservations a year in advance, then change, reschedule... who knows?

2) check out Yosemite view lodge in El Portal - usually available on Expedia, beautiful area, and I believe there is a shuttle from there to the valley if you choose not to drive that day
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM

You sound like you have a realistic understanding of the possible crowds, so given that, I think you will love it, and the longer you are there, the more you can explore less populated areas.

You say "lodging will be a killer," so I suggest avoiding the Cedar Lodge!

I was shocked how crowded Yosemite was in the summer at the horrible concession stands, so plan for eating flexibly, or have a cooler of snacks.

I love the Ahwahnee Hotel breakfast. Exquisite environment.

Check out Ansel Adams' photographs of Yosemite for inspiration.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Kailani - Can't believe you wrote that about Cedar Lodge. Not sure if the OP will understand the reference.

As others have said, make sure you plan some time for the high country. The meadows up there should be beautiful then with wildflowers and Tenaya Lake is real gem. If you can, take one of the guided ranger hikes up there.

And, Enzian has a good idea about staying in Groveland. It's a neat town and you will be about 45 minutes closer to the airport.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Ahhhh---Tenaya Lake. We like to end each day with a swim there, at the west end, with the classic Ansel Adams photo view.