Yosemite/Sequoia Advice Requested

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2015, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to California next month for a quick trip to visit Yosemite and Sequoia National Park. It'll be whirlwind, but I'm limited in time and money. I'm trying to decide between two nights near Sequoia and one night in Yosemite or vice versa. Two itineraries below. Which would be better?

Day 1- arrive at noon at drive to Visalia, check in to hotel, depending on arrival time, head toward park for whatever exploring can be done before nightfall.

Day 2- Full day in Sequoia National Park, return to Visalia for overnight.

Day 3- head out early to Yosemite. Explore as much as possible.

Day 4- more exploration of Yosemite, then mid to late afternoon, head to Los Angeles for final night.

Day 5- fly home

or

Day 1 - Day 1- arrive at noon at drive to Visalia, check in to hotel, depending on arrival time, head toward park for whatever exploring can be done before nightfall.

Day 2 - Pack up car, set out early to explore Sequoia National Park. Then drive to Yosemite for night.

Day 3 - Yosemite

Day 4 - More exploration of Yosemite and then head to LA for final night.

Day 5 - fly home

I'm concerned about the fires and smoke affecting the air quality of the areas I'll be in. If anyone has comments on that, those would be valued as well.

Thank you!
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 01:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I notice both of your plans start in Visalia -- where are you flying in to - lAX or somewhere else? And why based in Visalia specifically?

I'd personally always choose longer in YNP than Sequoia (though Sequoia is terrific)
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

I'm flying into LAX. I chose Visalia because there was lodging at a good price and standard there (and good cancellation policies because it is hurricane season for my state). I wanted to stay in Three Rivers, but the places that worked for me didn't have good cancellation policies.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 02:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Sequoia is certainly beautiful but Yosemite is astonishing. However you do it, I suggest as much time in Yosemite as you can manage.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 02:43 PM

OK -- that wil be some hellacious drives LAX and back. So as much as this pains me to say -- I'd skip Yosemite and spend all my time in Sequoia/Kings Canyon.

Visalia to Yosemite Valley takes about than 3.5 hours; Yosemite Valley to LAX is 6+ hours w/o any stops. LAX > Visalia and back is about 3.5 hours each way. With what is really less than 3 days 'on the ground', I'd just head to Sequoia.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 02:45 PM

That should say >>Visalia to Yosemite Valley takes at least 3.5 hours;
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 03:36 PM

You can do the highlights of Sequoia in one day. Visit the General Grant and take a walk on one of the trails into the forest, looping back to the shuttle bus stop to get back to your car. The car is parked half a mile above the General Grant, the hike is in the opposite direction, and the shuttle goes from the General Grant stop to the parking lot. Things will be clearer once you get the National Park map.

Then drive back towards Visalia, and go to Moro Rock. The climb is strenuous only in the sense that there are a lot of stairs. From there you get a spectacular view over the valley and toward the high sierra.

From Moro Rock go back to Visalia for the night.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...3985/show?rb=1
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 11:08 PM

> With what is really less than 3 days 'on the ground', I'd just head to Sequoia.

Same here. Yosemite is more a photo op than an exploring or hiking destination. Busloads of tourista are brought into the valley floor, look at the amazing view (as shown on just about every Yosemite postcard ever made), and then bussed out again. Believe it or not less than 1% of the park is regularly visited by tourists or hikers.

My point is, if I was based in Visalia with three full days excluding travel time, I'd follow janisj's advice. Either save Yosemite for another trip, or (if your heart is set on seeing Yosemite) stay closer to there as a base, and do a one-day or overnight excursion to Sequoia on your way back to L.A. Michael is moreless correct that the redwood highlights can be covered in one day.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 11:11 PM

And I swear tourista wasn't an intended word.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 11:37 PM

>>Same here. Yosemite is more a photo op than an exploring or hiking destination. >Believe it or not less than 1% of the park is regularly visited
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 11:49 PM

> But to say that is the only part 'regularly visited' is wrong.

I didn't say that, exactly. The valley floor of Yosemite, which handles well over 90% of visitor traffic to YNP, covers less than 1% of the park. Of course a few people venture further than the valley floor, not many relative to the total traffic.
Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

I'm definitely visiting both parks. The debate for me is which park to allot two nights. Based on the conversation above, I'm now leaning towards two nights in yosemite.
Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 10:16 AM

My vote would be for two nights at Yosemite.

Utahtea
Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 11:37 AM

If you are up to the loooooong drive and are set on Yosemite -- then I would do 2 nights there and 1 at Sequoia/Kings Canyon (or better yet all 3 nights at YNP since you are spending so much time on the road)
Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 10:21 PM

When are you going? Do you know about the big fire in Kings Canyon. It hasn't closed anything in Sequoia -- but the smoke and air quality in Sequoia is severely impacted. About 3% contained right now - the Kings Canyon Lodge was destroyed today. Won't likely be controlled for a few weeks . . .

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/sto...wing/32155237/

http://abc30.com/news/rough-fire-des...-lodge/952365/

If you are traveling through the middle of Sept -- I'd probably avoid Sequoia/KC. And after that -- it would depend on how long the fire had been suppressed (if at all). But then again -- new fires might break out in YNP too . . .
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I know about the fires, as indicated in my original post. I know they closed Grant Grove the other day and I know about the rough and cabin fires and other fires across the state. It's a great concern and I'm monitoring closely. I leave Sept. 12. If it all goes to hell, I have an alternate plan to drive up the coast to visit the Hearst mansion, etc.
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 06:27 AM

OK -- good. In Sequoia the main issue is the smoke air quality and that isn't likely to be much improved by mid Sept.

Maybe do some pre-planning for your plan B because Sept is a very popular time on the coast. That is when most locals head there because the weather is so glorious.
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Ok, here's the latest plan. We'll have plan A and plan B in the event fires get worse.

Plan A: arrive LAX at noon and drive to Oakhurst hotel for three nights. At this late date, hotel pickings at prices we can afford are slim.

On last full day, depart early and head to Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP for a drive through en route to Los Angeles, popping out for some tree viewing along the way and Moro Rock. Final night in Hermosa Beach. Final morning, we will have time for an ocean drive/ walk before heading home.

Plan B: if smoke/fires are too bad in Yosemite area, we'll head up the coast for three nights. I would like to visit Santa Barbara and the Hearst mansion in San Simeon. Any suggestions for a nice town to use as a base? Santa Barbara seems to be really expensive. I'd like to keep my hotel to around $100/night.
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 01:06 AM

Try San Luis Obispo and Pismo Beach. Should be able to find better hotel rates.

Hate to be a debbie downer, but I assume you do know that Oakhurst isn't a great base for Yosemite.
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 01:10 AM

Oops - meant to include . . . Oakhurst to Yosemite Valley will take a minimum of 90 minutes each way.

Have you tried places in El Portal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -