Yosemite Roads

Mar 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Yosemite Roads

How curvy is the Highway 41 drive into Yosemite? We have a teen who gets carsick and a driver who is quite nervous driving hairpin turns or sheer dropoffs. Can someone give us a really clear idea of what to expect on this route into the Park? Would we be better off taking the all weather road in from Merced? We are driving up from San Diego.
Mar 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM

We took 41 into the park on our trip. I'm a nervous passenger on mountain roads, and this one was OK. I can't say I loved it, but there were no "hairpin" turns, just LOTS of weaving back and forth, and there were trees along the edge, so you didn't see drop-offs. Even thought there is a fairly large altitude change, it didn't feel bad because it was gradual. The big plus of this approach is that your first view of the valley will be the magnificent view after exiting a tunnel. Unforgetable!

~Liz
Mar 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Whew! Thanks Liz. It is nice to get the opinion from someone who also isn't a big fan of mountain roads. I have cancelled this trip in the past because so many people have said the drive up from San Diego is so scary and winding..but none of these people recall what road they took in! So, from your report, I am feeling a little better. Do you remember if the 41 is a two lane or one lane each way? And is it at it's worst before or after the Wawona Tunnel?
Mar 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Highway 41 is probably the least curvy, mountainous route into Yosemite. Avoid Highway 120 from either side of the Sierra.
Mar 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM

After you get past Oakhurst, 41 is one lane each way. It is curvy, but there really aren't any sheer dropoffs. Take it easy and you'll be fine.

Lee Ann
Mar 16th, 2009, 03:44 AM
cd

41 is fine. We entered the Park by 120 and I thought I would die! My husband kept saying, "wow, how beautiful, take a picture!" (course, he wasn't on the side with the sheer dropoffs), and I kept saying, "I can't take a picture cause I can't move!" and I couldn't, I was frozen.

We encountered a snowstorm the day we were leaving and they closed all roads except 41 so that is the way we left and if we ever go back, we will enter that way. It is not a scary drive.
Mar 16th, 2009, 05:55 AM
bwg

oh my!!!! We will be coming form Angel's Camp and the route would be 120 , correct? this has me worried
Mar 16th, 2009, 07:17 AM
cd

bwg
Tons of people travel 120 with no problems, it's just that some of us are wimps.
Mar 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Anyone that has doubts about driving mountain roads should find a competent driver to do the driving for them. Please do not endanger the other drivers on the road. On occasions I find some taking their half of the road in the middle or in the other lane because of a drop off or a switchback road..
Mar 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM

"a driver who is quite nervous driving hairpin turns or sheer dropoffs. " I'm sorry but I have to agree w/ RedRock. If someone is that nervous/terrified they should not be behind the wheel on 120 OR on 41. That may seem harsh - but it is a busy road and it takes confidence/competence.
Mar 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM

"I have cancelled this trip in the past because so many people have said the drive up from San Diego is so scary and winding"

This is an unbelievable thread.

If I were you, I'd take Amtrak.
Mar 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Amtrak is an excellent idea. They bus you in from Merced so someone else is doing the driving . . . . .