Search

Yosemite Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 11:19 AM
kim

Yosemite Questions

We've got reservations to stay in a cabin Curry Village for one night next June. We'll be entering the park from the south entrance in the early AM, and want to see and do some things before getting to the Valley. I have heard you can't leave food in cars because of bears. Are we safe to leave food in the car in a parking area during the day for short periods, say to walk to the Glacier Point lookout? (If not, what would we do with the food while we do this?) Also, since we will be in Sequoia National Park the day before, will we want to visit the Mariposa Grove area, or will it be a repeat of what we have seen already? Thanks.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 12:50 PM
howard

For brief stops as you described them, you don't have to worry about bears attacking your car. But, at night in Curry Village, definitely use one of the metal containers that are provided for that purpose.
A couple tips on the sights:
1. When you drive up to Glacier Point, stop at Washburn Point as well. It's the vista just before Glacier Point. We thought that the view from Washburn Point was actually better.
2. Having seen redwoods before, we were not that impressed with Mariposa Grove. Especially since you are going to Sequoia, the time can be better spent driving to Tuolomne Meadows

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 12:52 PM
howard

Ooops, I clicked off too soon. The previous posting should read: driving to Tuolomne Meadows and Tioga Pass, or perhaps hiking up to Vernall Falls.
In any event, I would recommend spending more than one night in Yosemite. It's the best!

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 01:01 PM
jenny

You'll receive a Yosemite Guide with your paid entrance fee. It will tell you all about food storage and bears.

Bears are out all the time. I've seen them at all hours, in all areas of the park. They are very savvy and know what the coolers and food packages are in your car, and they can tear the roof off to get to it. Don't tempt them (and hasten their destruction for approaching human food) and don't risk yourselves or your car. Seal everything in airtight containers and put it all in the trunk for short daytime trips. No trunk? Cover everything with blankets or towels. Make sure that any bear that may approach will have difficulty seeing or smelling the food.

Personally, if I had just one night in the valley I'd spend the day hiking around the valley itself. There's a reason most park visitors stay in the valley -- it's gorgeous.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 05:45 PM
BillJ

Bears can even recognize Coleman cool chests as sources of food. I have seen rear windows and doors ripped off of cars by bears trying to get to the cool chest in the back seat.
A funny(?) story is told of the parking lot at High Sierra camp at Toulumne Meadows. One night a forraging bear ripped the left side door off a rather small car, climbed in, rummaged around in the car generally tearing everything up, then when through, instead of kindly backing out of the car, he simply pushed the other door off the hinges and calmly walked forward out of the car. I'm sorry to use the word funny, but the vision of this huge fat lumbering bear, not quite fitting in this little car, which he proceeds to trash, is too much.
Be sure to follow the instructions in the handout at the entrance gate, and you shouldn't have any problem. Probably won't even see one.
I agree on the Mariposa Grove. Proceed directly to Glacier Point, then on down to the Valley. You have a lot to see, and short time to see it. Depending on your budget, and if you want to have a fine meal, try the Ahwanee for either dinner or breakfast. It's a beautiful old lodge, you'll be impressed. It's worth it.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 01:22 PM
kam

Bears are even attracked by discarded chewing gum, used drinking straws and perfume!!! Please protect yourself as well as the bears. We are the ones who have taught them what the coolers are used for! I agree with the others who say go directly to Curry Village, stash your food in bear boxes and then spend your time in the Valley or drive to Mono Lake via Tioga Pass. You'll love Yosemite!

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 05:33 PM
cherie

Last time I stayed at Curry Village cabin some bears had gotten into a cooler in a truck in the lot. Happens most nights. The Forrestry Service were out there photographing the truck and issuing a huge ticket to the driver. Not only will he wake up to a ripped up car but the Rangers are quite strict about ticketing offenders. Its not fair to the bears, either. When they are caught, they are tagged and offending bears are then shipped out further away from touristy areas. They can be destroyed if they become problematic. Use the bear-boxes and the park will be safer for everyone. Bears aren't the only foragers. We have seen raccoons in the Village eating leftover burgers; bobcats carring away trash. These animals aren't trained for your cameras and could startle into the path of cars. Leaving around food just isn't a great idea. Even toothpaste smells yummy to furry friends.