Reload this Page >

Yosemite or Banff!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 11:05 AM
xxxx

For those who have been to both locations, which would you choose if you had to recommend one to a friend?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 12:00 PM
gwen

I don't quite qualify as I've never been to Yosemite, but I loved loved loved Banff. We went the end of April and could still ski at Sunshine Village and hike. There was a ton of animals around and the people were really friendly. We stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel (honeymoon) and loved it.

G

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Patrick

I suppose my first question is "for how much time?" There is no spot prettier in the world to me than Yosemite, but basically a couple of days there is ample. At Banff, you've got at least a week's worth of spectacular sites to visit, and you can easily stray off to Jasper, Lake Louise, and many other spots as well. So if they want to spend more than two days, I'd probably head to Banff.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:17 PM
xxx

yes, if you have a week or so, go to banff and spend a couple nights in jasper too.
there is such a difference between the american & canadian dollar you could save a lot by coming to canada.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Les

Yosemite, hands down! Yosemite is unique in all the world, Banff (while beautiful) is not.
In response to Patrick ("...basically a couple of days there is ample."), he's just plain wrong. You could spend a week in Yosemite seeing something new and wonderful each day, and still want to come back.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:09 PM
xxxx

Would I be doing too much to try to get a one way car rental in Sacramento and drop off in Spokane for a two week trip including both areas and driving up the Oregon coast?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:14 PM
sumi

Yes, because the Oregon coast is breathtakinly beautiful also.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:17 PM
xxxx

Sumi are you saying that I would not be able to fit in all those site in that time period?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Howard

I'll have to agree with Les on this one, Patrick. If you've only spent two days in Yosemite, then you really haven't seen Yosemite.
Which one to choose, I don't know. They're both great destinations, and you couldn't go wrong with either.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Susan

That's a lotta driving. Will take you two long days minimum. You can get one way tickets on Southwest Airlines for probably less than what you'd pay to rent that car, but then you'd have to skip the Oregon coast.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:15 PM
xxx

actually i can get a car rental for two weeks for $400 total (tax incl.) and no drop off charge - thats why I am struggling with what to do!

I could hit so many wonderful sites in the week for a great price but I just don't know if it would be better to settle in around Yosemite or Banff for a week or two.

If i did Yosemite I would include Tahoe and if I did Banff i would include Glacier.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Bergmann

Tough one to answer! I have spent considerable time backpacking and camping in both parks. If it came down to making a choice...I'd pick the Canadian Rockies. Why? Because the Canadian Rockies contain jewels like Maligne Lake and Lake Louise and Lake O'Hara and Mt. Assiniboine and I could go on and on.... On top of all this, you mention that you would include Montana's Glacier National Park? That would be the icing on the cake....

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:17 AM
ttt

tttt

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Paul Rabe

I've been to both, and I honestly can't answer the question. Yosemite / Tahoe / Sequoia would BARELY beat Banff / Jasper / Glacier, simply because Yosemite has a valley and the others don't. Both have spectacular mountain scenery, the possibility of isolation, and true wildlife.

One thing about Yosemite: if you're planning on staying within the Valley, you must plan MONTHS ahead. If being spontaneous is important to you, then Yosemite is NOT an option.