Notices

Yosemite One Day Tours

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite One Day Tours

Any recommendations for a tour service from San Fran for one day in Yosemite?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM

you are obviously in for a full day. the drive is at least 4 hours, maybe longer, each way. (note there has been a rock slide on one of the entry roads, which may well delay you.)

I have never been to Yosemite without a car. But if you get theree before the snow season, there are a lot of roads you could explore--don't know if a tour company would simply dump you in Yosemite valley for a few hours. Yosemite valley is spectacular, but only a small part of the park. Better than nothing for sure.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

I will be in San Fran from Labor Day through the 10th, thinking of going on Thursday all day
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:46 PM

If this is your only opportunity, take the day tour, you'll see the beautiful area, ride along Merced river, stop in the valley for lunch and a short hike. You will not have time even for the trolley tour.

If you can cut out 2-3 days, check out Amtrak and the park shuttles. It is doable out of San Francisco without a car. Check Expedia for Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal, I don't remember if the shuttle or Amtrak connects this place with the Yosemite Lodge and valley.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 02:16 PM

IMHO there are much better ways for you to spend a day in San Francisco than to drive yourself nuts by spending a day on a bus to get a glimpse of Yosemite but not the time to enjoy this unique place.

However, if visiting Pompeii as a day trip from Rome sounds like a good idea to you, this may be your cup of tea.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM

My husband, kids and I took a one day Yosemite tour from SF when we were touring California from the UK over Easter 2003. The drive was about 3.5 hours each way as I recall and, IMO, most definitely worth it - even with bored 5 and 8 year olds! We had two or three hours to go treking and get some lunch when we arrived and the drive from the Park gates is very scenic. I am glad we didn't miss Yosemite off our itinerary and equally glad that we limited our trip to one (very long) day so that we could pack in other trips on our remaining days. Unfortunately I do not recall the tour company that we used.

Enjoy your vacation.