Yosemite- Hwy 120 or Hwy 140?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're heading to Yosemite this summer! We'll probably fly into SFO and then rent a car and drive to the park. I'm not sure which route is best. It appears we should take Hwy 120, but some say driving on Hwy 140 and staying in Mariposa puts us closer to the Valley Floor and most must-see sites. Our hotel availability is this: The Best Western in Mariposa or the Yosemite Westgate Lodge in Groveland. We won't be in the room much, so we want the shorter driving time in and out of the park.
As long as I have your "ear", where can you rent a car in San Fran outside of the airport, which seems to want an arm and a leg for a compact car??
Thanks mucho!
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM

check avis at south san francisco. You take the shuttle to rental center at sfo then avis gets you and takes you to S. San francisco site. Check for online coupons also.

We have a compact for 25 days in august for $513 including tax.

I have been told here that one should stay inside the park. If you can find lodging, seems to be the way to go. The drive in, plus the wait in line at gate in summer is additional time you lose from the experience.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM

Having driven into the park from both cities over the years, I'd go for Groveland as the quickest into the park. However, Mariposa might be quicker into Yosemite Valley. Also if at all possible look into staying in the park itself it's worth any extra cost due to more time to play.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 03:04 PM

For the quickest route to Yosemite Valley from SF, take 120.

Groveland is almost 50 miles and will take a little over an hour to get to Yosemite Valley.

Mariposa is about 57 miles to Yosemite Valley and will take about an hour to drive.

Just for distance and time, I wouldn't recommend either Groveland or Mariposa...both are two far and to much driving. If you get stuck behind an RV...it will take longer than my estimated driving times!

I'd recommend keep trying to get a cancellation in Yosemite Valley, if not then I'd try El Portal for lodging. I have no idea what the accommodations are like but El Portal is only 14 miles from Yosemite Valley and it will take about 30 minutes to get to the Valley.

Utahtea
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM

I'm with utahtea. If you can't get something in the park or in El Portal right now, then book a cancellable reservation wherever you can (Groveland or Mariposa) and then keep checking back for cancellations. Lots of people make reservations 1 year plus in advance and then something comes up, so cancellations are common - you might just luck into one.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Those 50 and 57 miles (from Groveland and Mariposa) can take substantially more than and hour. Especially in the summer. It is not unusual for Mariposa to Yosemite Valley to take 2 hours.

Definitely stay IN the Valley if you can. ElPortal if the Valley is unavailable. And try for Yosemite West.

Groveland or Mariposa will have you spending almost as much time commuting as seeing things.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Oh - and to answer your basic question . . . 120, no question.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:17 PM
SAB

Hey janis where is the "take Amtrak recommendation"?
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Its coming
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

My thanks to all who responded. Your information is helpful, and I will use some of your recommendations. However, Yosemite seems too expensive to pull off this year for me, so those tips will have to be tabled for a year. I'm heading to Estes Park for a trip that turns out to be much cheaper! Yosemite...I'll get to you one day!