Yosemite - Curry Village

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Kathy

Yosemite - Curry Village

My husband and I are spending three nights in Yosemite in August - everything in the Park is booked except these canvas tents in Curry Village that have a wood floor - has anyone stayed there?? - what is it like?? - are we better off to stay outside the park?? How far from the tents are the bathrooms? Do you have to worry about bears or other animals???

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 10:38 AM
shirley

i found agreat site about yosemite, it has info on all the lodging and the host has actually lodged in these canvas tents, if you have any questions he has an e-mail link and does give a very promt reply and if he is online you can 'speak' to him. here's the address - www.yosemitefun.com i am going to yosemite in sept.(staying in the cabins without bath)and have found his advice very helpful

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Vic

I have fond memories of the tent we stayed at in Curry Village. It was right after I was married. We tried to get a room but everything was full in the Valley. It wasn't bad, but I do remember that it got cold at night. You can stay outside. There is a Marriott right outside the Park. But it really is not the same thing as staying in the Valley. You miss out on all the evening activities provided by the rangers.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Suzie

The Tanaya Lodge is located in the south part of the park in Fish Camp. I believe it is now a destination hotel not a Marriott. Love this place. My parents stayed in the tent cabins for 1 night. Don't know about 3 nights. You might get tired of the spartan accomodations.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:09 AM
ysemite sam

Stay in the cabins. It is the only place I have ever stayed at Yosemite. Look, you are going to visit the greatest out door venue in this country, I can't understand why anyone ever wants to stay at Tenaya or Ahwahnee. If you just want a luxury hotel, I suggest SF, NYC, Paris, etc.

P.S. bears do on occassion come into the cabin area. JUST DON'T FEED THEM or like act like you are from Iowa and try to touch. Yosemite is about as close as you will come to heaven on earth.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Kay

I have stayed in the regular cabin, not tent cabin, but they are next to each other. The distance to the bath depends on which cabin you are assigned. They are lined up in the woods. You walk on dirt paths to the facilities. A flashlight would be nice. Its sort of in between a cheap motel and truly camping. I was passing through and only had one night. Glad I stayed in the park, sitting on the deck of the restaurant/store watching the sunset (take mosquito repellent) and then up early on the trail the next morning.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Sandra

Kathy,

Curry Village has both tent and cabin accomodations all in the same vicinity sharing the same facilities. I stayed in a cabin without bath for 3 days a few years ago in August. If you've done any camping you'll be comfortable in the tent cabins. It's rustic but o.k. The big downside is that the shower houses were closed during the middle of the day and there were lines in the a.m. and especially in the late afternoon and early evening. It got to be a contest - all of us trying to time our showers in order to avoid the lines. Bears are in the park so don't bring any food into your tent.

Be sure and keep checking your reservations because if they have a cancellation you might be able to get something else.
Yostmite is my favorite place on earth (so far). You'll love it.
Sandra

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Andra

Hi,

I was there just last week for three days. It was cold at night, but we survived. We had to buy a flashlight and to secure all the food (actually everything smelly, including toothpaste, deodorant etc) in a locker during the night. I liked it, the falls are really spectacular.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Pat

We stayed in the Curry Village tent cabins last July for 3 nights- 2 adults, 2 kids. It was fine. If you've ever camped you'll have no problem. The beds are pretty comfortable and we weren't cold at all. We locked our cooler and "smelly things" in a bear locker by the parking lot and came back for lunches during the day. We were a little paranoid about the bears but didn't see one in the whole time we were there. (I actually saw more wildlife camping in PA as a kid- bears and raccoons included!) And the pool was great.

I would prefer Curry Village tents a thousand times over doing the drive into the Valley every day. (about an hour I think). We were able to hike and bike in peace before most people were even in the Valley for the day.