Search

Yosemite

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 03:44 PM
P. Jernigan

Yosemite

Planning a vacation around June 5 to Yosemite. How is the weather? What do we need to see? How much time do we need at each area? Where is the best place to fly into Cal. to get to Yosemite? Thanks for any help.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:15 PM
Jan

We visited Yosemite last Sept. as part of our Californian vacation, we had four days there which gave us time to see all the major sites and take a couple of hikes.The major sites (Bridalveil falls El Capitan etc.)could all easily be seen in one day, but you would certainly be missing a lot if you didn't walk a couple of the hiking trails. Also do visit Glacier Point the view from the top is breathtaking and well worth the drive. We flew to SF and the drive from there to Yosemite didn't take too long, perhaps a local can answer that question more fully.We stayed just outside the park at Evergreen Lodge (recommended in Frommers guide), excellent basic accomodation with good home cooked food in the restaurant.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 07:29 AM
Cal

June should be a fairly good weatherwise. The Tioga pass may not be open yet. I believe that 2 full days for the park are adequate. The closest city, with a major airport, to the park is Fresno, CA. Fresno is about 1 hour from the South entrance to Yosemite. San Franciso is about 3.5 hours from Yosemite ( Mariposa ).

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Bob Brown

In June the falls should be full of water, which means that some of them will be thundering, particularly Nevada and Vernal. The trail up to either of them will probably be quite wet, and slippery, if open at all.
Yosemite Falls should be beautiful.
I hope the road to the south rim of the valley will be open because the views from there toward El Capitan and Half Dome are absolutely stunning, particularly when the falls are in full flow.
The Merced River should be flowing rapidly.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 12:00 AM
rob

went to yosemite 10/99. flew into SF and drove to the park.....my advice.. leave EARLY. the mountain roads are difficult to drive at night. we stayed 5 days which was just right for us. the highlight was driving tioga pass to bodie, ca ...a "ghost town". mariposa groves was OK. DO NOT stay at yosemite west condos. i would stay in the park itself....yosemite lodge was pretty nice and reasonably priced. also, if you're renting a car get a 4-wheel drive...ours didn't cost much more then a regular mid-sized rental.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 11:36 AM
cherie

Fresno is nearest airport or drive down from SFO (+/- 4.5 hours from SF and 2.5 - 3 from Fresno). The weather is gorgeous in June 70s - 80s in daytime and drops to 60s on the Valley Floor at night. (Colder at elevation) The ARea Code for Yosemite is (209). Call info for Currey Village and try to stay in the Park which is much easier for a few days touring. Otherwise, there are places just outside or at campgrounds which must be reserved. Flying into SFO allows you to have days on either end of your trip in SF, if you'd like.