Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yes, another clothing question, but this time about teens!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:30 PM
susie

I'm taking my boys to NYC over Christmas. I'm going to let them wear their jeans and long sleeved t's during the day, but what's appropriate for fancy dinner at night? By the way, is the Waldorf a good place to stay for families?

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:44 PM
rrr

Button down shirts and pressed pants for sure. Teens are old enough to dress as per dress code for a particular restaurants - if a jacket is recommended then they should wear jackets.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:50 PM
jason

Button down shirts? You must be from Connecticut. A nice sweater will suffice.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:56 PM
susie

We're going to Lespinasse or the like. Boys are age 10 and 13. What about a button down and nice sweater or just a nice cashmere polo type sweater? Thank you both for your help!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Teresa

Susie,
I would go with khakis and either the sweater/shirt combo or maybe an inexpensive navy blazer for evenings out. My 12 year old son complained plenty about taking 'dress clothes' for our August New York trip but once he saw the restaurants and how other kids his age were dressed, he was glad I insisted.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 05:28 PM
nymom

Kids in NY wear the same clothes as teens all over the US..just more sweaters and puffy coats than warmer climes.At dinner at Lespinasse, they should wear jackets and ties.Whatever your husband wears so should they.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 05:37 PM
SUSIE

Thanks, nymom! Well, I guess blazers it is! I was trying to avoid having to buy one for the 10 year old, but you are right.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Nymom

Susie-Maybe this will be the start of a new trend, the guys will want to get dressed up and go eat somewhere nice with mom and dad and think they are cool Have a great Holiday in NY!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 04:45 AM
nina

If you are going to a really "fancy" place, then I would but my boys in khakis or grey flannels, oxford shirts, blazers and ties. Just make sure the restaurant you are intending to go to truly does require a jacket. Very few restaurants in the city do, even the nicest and most popular. For example, if you go to Babbo, or Nobu, your sons would be perfectly comfortable in nice pants and sweaters. Before you buy the jackets, call the concierge of the hotel you are staying in and tell them which restaurants you are considering. They can tell you whether a jacket is required. Also, I don't know where you live but if you are anywhere near a SYM's, go check out the kids blazers - got my sons Ralph Lauren blazers for a great price last year, plus they have weejuns at great prices.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Owen O'Neill

Keep in mind that what is "required" by a given restaurant and what is customarily worn by folks who dine there may vary. I typically never wear a jacket and tie to dinner as I don't dine in places where it's required or customary. A few years ago I went for dinner a week or so before X-Mas at an upscale and very traditional restaurant (not in NYC). Some instinct prompted me to wear a jacket and tie - when I arrived every male in the place (including boys as young as 6 or 7) was dressed in a similar fashion! There was no jacket/tie requirement at this establishment but needless to say I was glad I'd worn one... it can alwasy be removed if the mode of dress turns out to be more casual.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Melanie

1) Something warm!

2) Something that they feel comfortable in - they are only young so I don't think that the restaurants will be overly pedantic - and it would be shame to spoil the family experience should they hate what they are being told to wear.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:09 AM
nina

Very true Owen, conversely, you don't want to appear to be the only country bumpkin overdressed either. That's why I think the best bet is to ask the concierge. If they are knowledgable they should be able to advise you on the most appropriate dress for a particular restaurant.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Cheryl

Unless you are going to a restaurant that requires a coat and/or tie, your teenage boys will be fine in dark colored slacks and a well fitting dark colored sweater or a nice button up shirt and decent shoes (no sneakers or "dockers").

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Leone

Susie, Susie, Susie - get your guys into a tie and jacket!!! Waldorf? Lespinasse? What is it with so many travellers ... they fly someplace special, then refuse to make it special. Okay, they're young, so no black, black and more black ... but no plaids either ... you'll probably be asked to leave those at the NJ border. Have a nice trip ... ciao.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:20 AM
ME

The Waldorf is a very nice hotel with an old english feel. They ask that you dress appropriately even when in the lobby and this includes removing name tags if you attend a convention or business meeting. I suggest a nice pair of khakis and an oxford for dinner and maybe even a navy blazer. It's a classic look that they can wear and when the dinner is over, the khaki and oxford can be worn around town.
As far as families go, the waldorf is suited more for business. I stayed in the towers and the high ceilings and relatively spacious rooms made it seem larger. They do offer 1-3 bedroom suites that run a little high but expect to pay over 400 for a suite with a bedroom. I did not see a lot of kids at the hotel whenever I would stay there, especially teens. However, if your kids are well mannered and not too obnoxious, then they should fit right in.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Chris

You might inquire about rates at the Waldorf Towers ... bigger rooms, plus you can use the concierge room--a huge morning layout of coffee, juices, pastries; afternoon tea and sodas and snacks. Or, ask to be on the concierge level in the regular Waldorf. A little extra in room price can be offset by having a free continental breakfast and abundant afternoon treats.

Ask for an upgrade at check-in ... and ask for a high floor for some spectacular views.

The regular Waldorf rooms are rather small so I'd try to stretch for a Towers room or a suite in the "regular" Waldorf. It's Christmas, it's special, go for it.

P.S. If you're a member of Triple A you can also get a room discount -- ask.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 09:15 AM
cdf

Leone, very funny re:Jersey although I didn't get it-I thought Connecticut was where all the plaid came from.
Susie---my son went to private school and it was normal everyday life to wear a tie..so now when he has to get dressed for something, it is no big deal.I like that, that he is comfortable wearing a jacket and tie, instead of some guys who twitch and jerk all night because they hate wearing ties...SO...that said, it will be just a part of the occassion for your young men to dress up for dinner out on holiday with you..

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Leone

Yes, yes, yes, cdf, yes!! You hit the proverbial nail right smack dab on the head. Like your kid, I too was in a private school, and every night, tie, tie, tie. So, no jerking and twitching for this guy. And yes, dressing for the occasion ... the guys will probably like the new feel. Regarding plaids .... CT, of course, for the pants, but I believe it's NJ for shorts, tee, socks and belt, but only with white tassels. Just as an aside: in St. Petersburg, FL there is the Colliseum with a huge dance floor ... they feature the original big bands from the 40's. We flew down from DC to attend the Harry James event, complete with black tie. Naturally I assumed "formal" meant formal ... when actually it meant windbreakers, zipped. Yikes, if only one had been black. But no, peach was the closest I saw. So, actually I'm probably not the one to be advising on dress for any venue. Ciao