Search

Yellowstone or Yosemite?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Jennine

Yellowstone or Yosemite?

Hello.
Just looking for your opinions.
My husband and I have 2 older teens. We are from the northeast. We are talking about our next adventure out west. We've taken the kids to the National Parks of Utah and the Grand Canyon.
We have never been to California.
Hubby & I have been to Yellowstone and surrounding area. Just loved it!!
My question is, what would you choose, CA & Yosemite or Yellowstone, The Badlands & Mt. Rushmore?
We're coming to the conclusion that there's no "easy way" to get to either destination from here. Fly into San Jose and drive to Yosemite, or fly into SLC and drive to Yellowstone.
If anyone has any advice you would like to share, I will gladly read. Thank you in advance.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Howard

Your teenagers are in a can't-lose situation! I'm sure which one I'd choose.
I can offer some flying advice, however. If you decide Yellowstone, you can fly into either Jackson or Cody. Both are much, much closer than SLC.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Paul Rabe

I've been to both places -- twice each. I'd recommend Yellowstone (other Yosemite is probably my SECOND favorite place!) because the natural wonders are more unique.

Believe me, EITHER place will be spectacular -- you can't go wrong either way!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Kath

I would do Yellowstone because you can include one of my favorite NPs ... Grand Teton. You should also consider Glacier National Park. If you go late enough in the summer, the Going to the Sun Road is open. This is a must see attraction. Plus you can go into Canada to the sister park, Waterton!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 01:59 PM
david

You can also fly into Bozeman, MT

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 02:13 PM
tweedy

With teens, I think I would recommend Yosemite. There are several nice places to stay in and around the park.

I would fly in and out of San Francisco, so you could combine a bit of city site seeing and then head over to the park.

Also be sure to see the Mariposa Grove, not far from Yosemite, several of the trees may not be there a few years from now and each is a true treasure.

Have a great time.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Howard

Oops, I meant to say that I'm NOT sure which one I'd pick.
A correction on the previous post: Mariposa Grove is in Yosemite, not near it. Perhaps you meant that it's near Yosemite Valley.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:11 PM
ann

YELLOWSTONE!!! Yosemite's great, but there is nothing like Yellowstone! Also, was in Yosemite over spring break this year, and because of lack of rain this year, it was not nearly as scenic as it has been in years past...

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:47 PM
David

Although I have never been to Yellowstone, I have been to Yosemite and thought that is was amazing. I only wish that I had more time there. Be sure to make reservations early. Check out www.yosemitepark.com for information on accomodations, etc. If you decide on Yosemite, staying in the valley is a lot more convenient that the outskirts of the park, which would necessitate a 40 mile drive each way into the valley. Flying into San Jose International Airport makes the most sense in terms of both proximity to Yosemite and fares. I would not recommend flying into San Francisco. The delays there are beyond monumental. Yosemite is about a 4-5 hour drive from San Jose. It depends on when you leave the city. If it's on a weekday afternoon or evening, plan on 5 hrs. The closest airport to Yosemite is Fresno/Yosemite International, however the fares to Fresno, as well as San Francisco, tend to be higher than into San Jose.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:19 PM
tom

I would lean towards CA and Yosemite. Either choice could work well, but there is such a huge variety of things to see and do in CA. Even sticking with northern CA, you want some time for the coast, the redwoods, the gold country, the wine country, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe... in addition to Yosemite. The downside is that there will be a lot more people sharing those places with you than Yellowstone/Tetons.

Sacramento or Reno could be alternatives for flying; fares are sometimes cheaper, and you could make a circle from either.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Michelle

You could also throw in the Monterey area on your way to Yosemite. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is world class. The are is spectacular!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
Tony

Not sure you would want to do Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore on the same trip. Quite a bit of driving. Yosemite is a beautiful valley carved by glaciers filled with spectacular views and numerous waterfalls. Yellowstone is a figure eight road cut into a wilderness area filled with geyers and wildlife. Both are great places but you can't really compare them as they are different kinds of parks. If you do go to Yellowstone, make sure you go up to Glacier National Park and take the Going to the Sun Highway as it will provide you with some really beautiful views. If you go to Yosemite, you might want to consider traveling in the surrounding area including the gold country and Lake Tahoe.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:03 PM
kam

Try to fly to Fresno,but if that's impossible at least fly to San Jose which is about 4 hours (depending on time/day) from Yosemite. The nicest thing about Yosemite is that I think you could set your older teens on their own to explore. There's a shuttle bus that takes you to the highlights. Have at least one meal at the Ahwanhee (or try to stay there) and go to the Wawona to see the trees and have a lunch. My adult son and his son also loved the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore, so I think you can't go wrong.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:18 PM
Roger

I think driving would allow you to see more and do more. Drive to Mn. saee the Great AMERICAN MALL, west to ND, Devils TOWER, then south to SD Badlands and then Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. A woderfull trip and you get to see an enjoy the sights on the way