Yellowstone or Glacier National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going in early June. I have to choose one - but can't do both. I'm from New Zealand - which one should I do? I have four days and am not too worried about cost
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:09 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Yellowstone
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM

Yellowstone!!!!
We went in the middle of June two years ago and it was great. It did snow and closed the roads for a couple of days. early June would be to early for Glacier anyway. You should plan on spending a little time at The Grand Tetons which is right near Yellowstone. plan on spending a full day at the Geysers. Don't miss Riverside Geyser and Castle Geyser.
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:31 AM
AlJ

I agree for the same reasons. Early June is an excellent time to visit Yellowstone. You do need to be prepared for cold / wet weather off and on. When we went to Glacier in mid July, some of the higher trails still had snow on them.

Here's a link to some planning information we put together for Yellowstone. Some of it might help.

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/yello...ing_a_trip.htm

It shows thoughts on places to stay, things to see and other info that might be useful.

You're planning awfully late. If you're going in early June, I assume you mean 2010. If you're planning for 2011, ignore the following. You'll have a lot of problems finding a place in the park. At this point, you'll probably have to depend on cancellations. You might plan on calling Xanterra occasionally to see if they have anything. Their website isn't always up to date.
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:49 AM

One of the main attractions in Glacier is the Going to the Sun Road which typically doesn't open until after July 4, so head to Yellowstone. As others have said include a drive down to Grand Teton NP which is a short drive south. The best animal viewing is at dawn (fewer people then) and dusk. Have fun!
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM

I normally recommend Yellowstone because of the geysers, but being from New Zealand you will have seen that. I prefer Glacier because it isn't as crowded. Especially the Many Glacier area. There's usually only one or two tour buses a day.
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but since you're coming in early June, Glacier is off the table. Too much will be closed or inaccesssible. While it could still be cold in Yellowstone, you'll be visiting before high tourist season, so it's a good time to go. Yellowstone is amazing (and is much more than geysers, contrary to the previous post). Have fun!
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Sun Road in GNP SHOULD open this tear on June 18th, weather dependent.
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the feedback. Very helpful.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey John!
Going to the Sun road didn't open on the 18th. The papers reported an opening tomorrow. We lucked out today! We were among the first to go post the block at Weeping Wall to get to Logan Pass.

We were on the Red Bus on the 3 hour tour from Lake MacDonald Lodge. We left at 10, got to the block about 11:40 - and the rumors were they would be opening the road soon. Our driver had already turned the bus around. He turned it around again - and we were in line near the front. The line stretched back as far as you could see. It was a blast to open up the road

We also had some joking about "A three hour tour" .
We got back 4:15 after departure. Loved Benny our driver.

I HIGHLY recommend taking one of the Red Bus tours over the Crown on the Continent. I've driven it before - and the Red Bus was a fun (and much less stressful) way to experience the road. We did the Beartooth Highway the week before and our driver enjoyed today MUCH more than last week.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM

Just a note from my exasperated late planing for Yellowstone & Teton August 2010, there is not much available for lodging.

Maybe some isolated cancelations in Yellowstone thru Xanterra

Tetons alittle better thru http://www.gtlc.com/

Good luck finding rental cars too...