Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone June 2014

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0IatW7FqybsW0G

Pretty good one of a grizzly on the above link #26 and 27

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0IatW7FqybsW0X
Most of pics on the above link. Sorry for a few duplicates.
We had 2 different cameras

Overall a very good trip. A little busier than I expected as we had been mid-June 6 or 7 years ago.
This was really our first time traveling with another family(we have traveled with other members of our family though). It was a different but good experience. The more people you have makes it a bit harder to coordinate everything and it seemed someone always needed to stop at a bathroom. But, we enjoyed each others company and was especially good at meal times and picnics. Plus, the more eyes you have the more wildlife you spot.

Most of our cool animal sightings were near Tower. Very very little wildlife near OF this time. All of the Bison were in Hayden and Lamar Valleys. The Grizzly and her 2 fairly large cubs were at the start of the Beartooth Hwy. Beartooth was great!!

We stayed 3 nights at OF Inn, 1 night in Roosevelt, and 1 night in Colter Village in the Tetons. We didn't really do anything in the Tetons and just concentrated on Yellowstone this trip.
For me, Grand Geyser was probably the highlight.
For the oldest boy....his favorite was hiking Uncle Tom's Trail. Man, as impressive as the waterfall is up top, its just super super from down below. Amazing.
We did manage to watch a fox pounce and catch some food. We think it was a bird, but not totally sure. This was at dusk and had a hard time getting a good pic.
We didn't see any moose this trip and no wolves. I didn't see a single coyote, which I found odd.

Hiked to Mystic and Fairy Falls. I was surprised by how much more I liked those than I had anticipated. Had planned on hiking Washburn, Picnic Trail, and Hell Roaring. Oh well, there is next time. I am seriously thinking about just my wife and I returning next year and renting an RV.
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Well crud. Should have said 2015. Why don't I ever preview things. LOL
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 06:08 PM

Hi Spiro,

I wondered......I just drove home through Yellowstone last Friday. I saw lots of elk and, for the first time, an actual Bald Eagle Jam.
I've been in all kinds of other animal jams, but an eagle jam was a first! It was an especially beautiful bird!

I didn't see a single bison which was a huge surprise. I think the road construction between Mammoth and Norris was partly to blame.

Also, the mild winter probably had an impact. The animals have moved higher earlier this year. Yellowstone and all of Montana was much drier than normal this year.

Glad you had a good time!
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 03:09 PM

We were just there! I haven't sat down to start my trip report, but you might have just inspired me! I've always loved reading your reports/updates. You're such a wonderful resource. Thanks, Spiro!
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 07:23 AM

Great photos Spiro. Thank you for sharing.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 09:05 AM

Thanks for your report and pics! I missed this the first time around. We're headed to the park the second week of May. Hoping that will put us ahead of the crowds. Are you returning this year?
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

I am not. I do hope to go the next year though. Have a great trip.