Reload this Page >

Yellowstone in the Spring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 1997, 10:51 AM
Theresa

We are thinking of spending a week in Yellowstone this coming spring. We plan to go in April or May. When would be the best time, is early April too early, is it getting crowded by late May, and so on? What are some of your experiences?

Old Dec 16th, 1997, 06:45 PM
Cathy

Springtime in the Rockies, and that includes Yellowtone Park, can be unpredictable. You will need to either call or write the the Park as well as Jackson Hole chamber of commerce for their literature re: what is open at that time of the year. Tourists come all year long, and the ski and snow mobile season will probably be concluded by Easter . . . but the snow might still fly through May. Summer tourists trade does begin in June, with playhouses, horsebacking riding, float trips, fishing, etc., but the nicest weather is after school starts in early September. The restaurants and campgrounds are not crowded, the elk will bugle in front of you, leaves are beginning to change colors on the Aspen trees, the wildflowers might even still be blooming in the higher elevations, and the weather hasn't turned too awfully cold.or snowy. Yellowstone is beautiful in every season, and regardless of when you get there, you will have much to see and do. The restaurants in the Park are fairly good at the lodges/inns, and so-so at some of the visitor centers. There are many good restaurants in the Jackson Hole area. If you like ribs, eat at Bubba's; good breakfasts and lunches at either the Bunnery or at Jedediah's. Have fun on your trip! Cathy

Old Dec 17th, 1997, 08:50 AM
Scott Ford

My wife and I went to Yellowstone during the last week of May in 1996. Note: Bear in mind that elevations there range from about 6000 feet in Gardiner, MT (North Entrance) to over 10,000 feet. Two of the main access roads through the park are mountain passes (Craig Pass, Dunraven Pass) that are over 8000 feet. In Gardiner, weather was spring-like, 50's during the day, 30's at night, no trace of snow on the ground. In the southeastern part of the park (Grant Village), snow was still piled along side of the road. It snowed several inches one morning while we were eating breakfast and continued throughout the day! Dunraven Pass was still closed from winter snows, and Craig Pass had just opened for the season (I later heard that they almost closed it while we were there due to the new snow). That winter had been especially bad, even by Yellowstone standards!

My wife was six months pregnant, so we couldn't do any strenuous hiking. However, we saw antelope, buffalo, elk, moose, and coyotes before we even left the car. In every case except for the coyotes we were able to see newborns grazing, nursing and playing. Adult buffalo were shedding their winter coats, which makes them look even larger and more intimidating. Antlers on the elk and moose were already large (and still growing!) and covered with velvet. It was the most awesome display of wildlife that I had experienced, before or since. Some of the trails were a little muddy from snow melt, some still had snow on them, but we had no trouble seeing the "main" attractions (Old Faithful, geysers, hot springs and pools, Yellowstone Falls & lake, etc. - the entire park is the main attraction!). The park was not crowded at all (we could drive wherever we wanted, whenever we wanted and saw no evidence of the horrendous traffic jams that arrive in the summer). Most of the lodges and amenities were open, although many had just opened within the previous few days. All were already booked solid (I hadn't been able to make reservation until a few weeks before and had to stay in Gardiner and Teton Village) I would not hesitate to go back during this time of year, but I would be leery of going much earlier. As I mentioned, one mountain pass was closed and the other had just opened. Had they both been closed, it would have been nearly impossible to traverse the park without a snowmobile or a backpack (which isn't necessarily such a bad idea if you're into that). The problem this time of year is that the weather is highly unpredictable. In April, that could really ruin your trip (i.e., snowbound in your lodging/hotel). In late May, a minor inconvenience and a little extra magic (being from Pittsburgh, we had never thrown snowballs on Memorial Day before!). I just realized that I haven't even discussed the scenery, but it's magnificent. One of the two most beautiful place I've ever been (next to the Napali Coast on Kauai, but that's another story). I suggest calling the park to get their opinion on weather conditions, as I found them very helpful. If you really want info on what to do/see, e-mail me and I can give more details. There are also numerous Yellowstone pages and references on the web to give you a taste of what's in store for you!

Old Dec 21st, 1997, 07:35 AM
Tim jamieson

I suggest you base yourself at colter bay, on jackson lake in grand teton national park. you can then travel north and south from there. you may even find, as i did, you won't go north to often

Old Jan 19th, 1998, 09:46 PM
J. Peck

If you want to experience the most amenities in the time frame you're speaking of, go as late in May as possible. The weather will be better, more trails will be open, and more activities will be available. Perhaps some time in Jackson Hole would be good as well. Go rafting with Lewis & Clark Expeditions.