Yellowstone in late Sept - early October

Old Mar 26th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone in late Sept - early October

The good news is I was able to easily get reservations at Mammoth Hot Springs and Old Faithful Inn for Sept 29 - Oct 3. I am reviewing trip reports and gathering information but most trip reports are for May - July. We prefer off season. We are a family of 4 with girls 7 and 9 years old. I feel like I have more to learn before creating an itinerary ....it will come. Does anyone have specific tips for this time of year? We will be coming in the east entrance. Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 05:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
It's a great time to be in the parks. Beautiful, if not cooler, weather. No crowds. You'll pretty much have the park to yourselves. I've gone on the last weekend of the season (mid-October) and seasonal workers were closing up shops in the Hamilton store next to the OFI and it was the last weekend for Old Faithful. (Snow Lodge is open during winter months).

You'll be able to drive both loops (the entire figure 8) easily in a day. There's really less need to switch locations in fall than in summer. Check the list for the staggered closing dates and prepare accordingly. I'd have snacks and stuff for a picnic lunch handy.
http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...closing-dates/

It snowed on us in October so bring layers and be prepared for varied weather.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I knew some places were closed but the link is a very succinct list.

Please correct my novice, not well researched assumptions:

* Doubtful to see bear
* Likely to see buffalo, elk and possibly wolves
* Likely to have snow on ground
* All roads in the park are open
* Will be able to hike Fairy Falls, Mt. Washburn and Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
* Most ranger stations are open with limited programming
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

* I meant bison...not buffalo
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 03:52 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
It's rare to see bear in Yellowstone, no matter the season. I've only see a bear from afar. Cars were pulled over as we were headed south from Mammoth. There was a grizzly high up on the hillside. We took photos with telephoto lens. It would be strange not to see bison/buffalo. Elk is probable. Wolves if you got up early and were waiting at their normal places. There used to be a very active forum at Yellowstone.net and those folks kept track of the wildlife locations and knew the litters by name/number. Amazing resource but I don't know how active they still are. To see wolves, you have to try to see wolves.

If seeing wildlife is important to you, consider Brushback tours - either of Yellowstone and/or Grand Teton. If you are on Facebook, friend them to see great photos all year long. Read the reviews on TripAdvisor, etc. Their tours are pricey, but everyone seems to be VERY satisfied.

Roads will be open unless unforeseen weather causes them to close. Ditto for hiking trails and ranger stations. There was no snow on the ground until it fell on us the last weekend we were there in mid-October. It looks like the park is closing on the 9th this year so they may have moved the closing up earlier to avoid snow. Snow will fall and the park will move on into the winter season. Whether or not there will be snow on the ground when you are there depends on the weather. I'd say it's possible but not probable.