Yellowstone in June

Mar 18th, 1998, 06:38 AM
Diane Forquer

Yellowstone in June

Family of four would appreciate "tips" on favorite
spots in Yellowstone. We plan to spend 3 days/2 nights (already have room reservations in Grant Village and at Canyon Lodge). We are especially
interested in recommended geyers to see around Old
Faithful area (so many are listed that it's hard
to determine what to see; what to skip). Thanks!

Mar 22nd, 1998, 06:20 PM
Bob Brown

There are many geysers in Yellostone as you state.
I have seen all of the major ones, except Great Fountain, in full eruption. Here are my suggestions:

First, stop at the Visitor Center next to Old Faithful and take a look at the predictions for eruptions of Old Faithful, Castle, Grand, Daisy, Riverside, and whatever else is posted. Bear in mind that these eruption times are only educated guesses and the window of time is often 2 to 3 hours. If you are going to see Grand Geyser in operation, be prepared to sit it out. You will be rewarded for your patience. When I was there last summer, the assembled visitors burst into applause in appreciation of nature's handiwork.

Castle Geyser, in the same group, usually is more predictable, and it puts on a show for over 40 minutes. Riverside Geyser and Daisy Geyser are nice, but less spectacular. Daisy is fairly predictable as is Riverside. Grand is the star of the show, when it is "on".

The Norris Geyser Basin north of the Old Faithful group is worth seeing, also.

Given the length of time you will be there, you will have one good day for geyser gazing and one day to take in the falls and the canyon and do a little looking around the lake. You will find plenty to do.

Let me suggest that you inform yourself on the geology of geysers. Some people who have no concept of what shapes the world around them think that these things are planned and that the Park Service controls them. Ugh!