Yellowstone - Help I'm a rookie :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - planning a trip to YNP mid Aug 2012. I have been checking cancellations daily and here is what I have so far for in park lodging:

First night have a reservation at Mammoth.
Second and third night at Roosevelt - Frontier Cabins (I know totally lucked out)
Fourth night - Lake Hotel

I would like to get into OF but so far that hasn't happened. Here is my debate....before I scored the RL I booked two nights in Silver Gate, MT. My thought was fly into Billings and drive the Beartooth Hwy to Silver Gate and enter the park there to see Lamar Valley. Now should I cancel that all together since I have two nights at RL and grab a room in West Yellowstone (in case we never get OF) and skip BTH or keep one night at Silver Gate to include that route? Planning on up to 5/6 nights in park (or just outside).

Thanks a ton!
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM

I would drive BTH and keep that night. You should be able to score something at Old Faithful. Take the first one you can get, lodge, inn, cabin, etc. Then maybe you'll get lucky and get the one you actually want later. Sounds like you've made good progress, even if nothing else becomes available.

For me Mammoth is the least interesing spot(certainly worth a bit of time though). Geyser Basin around Old Faithful-I could spend several days there just geyser gazing.
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think the general opinion would be that Mammoth isn't what it used to be and I would try to drop that.

Call every day or more often and try for OF. I really like the location of Canyon. Close to the big falls and near wildlife. Tower might also be a good area.

When you get OF that might eliminate Lake as they're not too far.

Are you planning anything for Grand Tetons. It's a beautiful place. I would try for Signal Mountain.

Call, call, call. The problem is that most tours and people release their unwanted rooms in the last month. So it might look bleak until suddenly you get what you need.

Yellowstone is a very big park and you might not want to be driving at night due to wildlife.
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Not planning anything for GT. It is our first trip to YNP and can't do everything especially with a 7 and 9 year old.
Wondering if I should cancel the Silver Gate night and just drive to Roosevelt. I'm estimating an hour and a 1/2 to get from the NE entrance to Roosevelt which would equal a full day of driving from Billings area.....have to think that one over. Somebody trashed the Pine Edge cabins in Silver Gate so I am having second thoughts there. Might pick a place about an hour away from Billings airport to cut down on the drive the next day.....
Old May 6th, 2012, 01:14 PM

I wouldn't cancel anything, until you had more nights somewhere else. We really really liked staying at Lake, so I don't think I would eliminate that night. Mammoth might not be a bad thing to stay at, I just wouldn't spend the entire day right in that area. It certainly could be somewhere you end up at though. Since you are there in August, you might spend part of that day soaking in the Boiling River(which is near Gardiner).
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:09 PM

Do not skip Beartooth Highway. That drive is always one of my highlights anytime I visit Yellowstone.