Reload this Page >

Yellowstone-Glacier-Seattle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 07:56 PM
ellen

Planning a trip to Yellowstone, up to Glacier and a train to Seattle. Seeking suggestions on which place to stay in Yellowstone--Canyons, Mammoth or Old Faithful? Planning to take 2 day tour with Safari Yellowstone. Anyone done it? Anyone taken the train from Glacier to Seattle? Hints?

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 05:35 AM
Dick

Did something similar this last summer - took the train from Seattle to Glacier (Whitefish, actually) and back. Great trip - unfortunately runs overnight (I seem to recall there's just a single train per day)so you miss a lot of scenery, but eastern Washington is not much too look at. We spend the extra $ to get a sleeping compartment, which I would strongly recommend, and it was very comfortable. The top level compartments are much quieter, which we discovered on the return trip when we were on the lower level and a little too close to a squeaky wheel. You also want to be on the right side of the train so you'll be on the correct side to view Puget Sound and the Olympic range in the morning for the last hour or so of the trip.

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 03:49 PM
Lynne

Ellen, don't expect much if you stay in the parks. The rooms are sparse w/o TV or radio, just a bed and shower. At Old Faithful they have just opened a new hotel. You might inquire about room accommodations there.

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 07:07 AM
howard

I don't know what Lynne expected, but we thought the accommodations were fine at Yellowstone. No TV or radio? Great!

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 08:16 AM
topper

... to the top (and something else to the bottom) ...