Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yellowstone for more nights or Grand Tetons???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now, we're staying in Yellowstone for 8 nights. Three in Old Faithful Inn, 3 in Canyon Lodge and then 2 in Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. My question is, should I cancel the last 2 in Mammoth Hot Springs and go to Grand Tetons instead? We will not have a chance to see G.T. otherwise because of other places we are going. Thanks so much for help.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 07:23 AM

No way would I miss the Tetons!! They are fabulous. You can definitely see Yellowstone with less than 8 days.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Definitely spend time in the Teton. It is truly majestic. And, the best part for you is that still with six nights in Yellowstone, you are not really sacrificing anything there.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Book either the Jackson Lake Lodge or Jenny Lake Lodge, depending on your budget. Both are wonderful locations inside the Tetons. I absolutely love both these parks.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Go south! Don't miss the Tetons, you are so near.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Plenty of time for both. Don't miss the Tetons! We saw more moose there than anywhere. The boat across Jenny Lake (cheap) and hike up the mountain is awesome (very differant than yellowstone). The mud volcano tour is just entering Yellowstone from the south (another good stop). Another interesting day from Mammoth or Canyon area if you don't mind driving is exiting the park and driving "the most beautiful drive in America" 11,000 feet elevation. Even my kids are were glad we did it!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Don't forget the natural hot springs river just a couple miles north of Mammoth Hot Springs resort - great for a few hours of free entertainment (soaking)
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:44 PM

The Tetons are truly spectacular. You have more than enough time to go there; you should not miss them.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Two reasons to cancel at Mammoth in favor of the Tetons.

First, the Tetons are beautiful.
Second, accommodations at Mammoth are not very good, unless you want to pay $330 for a suite.

You did not say when you would be there, but in August or late July, Mammoth, being the lowest point in the park, is often hot and the rooms are not air conditioned.

There are commercial accommodations available just outside the park in Gardiner, but they are not dirt cheap either even if they are usually better.

In the Tetons, accommodations at Colter Bay are varied, but acceptable; Signal Mountain Lodge is ok to good.

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM

One of our most memorable trips was to the Grand Tetons with a side trip to Yellowstone. We spent 3 nights at Jackson Lake Lodge and booked in their second-floor mountain view room...breathtaking! Next we went up to Yellowstone where we stayed for 3 nights (one night at Old Faithful Inn and two nights at Yellowstone Hotel) and then we returned to Jackson Lake Lodge for 3 more nights and stayed in one of their cabin rooms which faced the Grand Tetons. We loved the combination, but our heart was with the Grand Tetons. It's a place where we will want to go back to from time to time just to get "recharged."
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:46 PM

zztop, I agree with the others that you must do a couple days at the Tetons, BUT, don't sacrifice the 2 days at Mammoth Hot Springs. IMO, it is one of the very best parts of Yellowstone.
8-)
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:25 PM

In one word: YES!
I spent one summer working in Yellowstone, went down to the Tetons on a day off then spent the next four summers working there. It is definitely a park that you need to get out and walk to truly enjoy though. You have more than enough time sceduled for Yellowstone, imho.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 11:34 AM

I'd recommend staying two nights in Grand Teton. You can certainly see a lot of Yellowstone with 6 nights there (we had only 4)and the change in location from Old Faithful to Canyon will allow you to visit all areas of the park (accessible by car, anyway)without too much stress. But don't miss visiting Mammoth Hot Springs area even if you don't stay there. Really cool! We stayed at Signal Mtn. lodge in Grant Teton, which we really liked but we had one of the lakefront retreats overlooking the lake. Depending on when you're going, it may be difficult to get reservations within the park.